EMMERDALE TURNS 50: MY FAVOURITE PAST CHARACTERS

Welcome to a blog post to celebrate Emmerdale turning 50 next Sunday (16th October). I decided back in March ahead of the anniversary to share my Top 10 characters (the 5 at the top are my current favourites before we go to the past characters) which I have to admit has taken a LONG time to agree (and even now I'm little still unsure they are in the right order ha).

Liv Dingle (Flaherty) is a character from her very first scene I have absolutely loved exploring especially as she came in as such a fiery teenage character was took Robert Sugden's wallet as Aaron Dingle met his little half-sister for the very first time. Over the past 6 years, Isobel Steele has been able to have many wonderful storylines and the opportunity to show what a fantastic actress she is with her epilepsy diagnosis, her issue with alcohol especially as she struggled to deal with what happened in the barn on Paul Ashdale and Mandy Dingle's wedding day in 2021, her asexuality along with her relationship with Aaron/ Chas Dingle as well as some of the beautiful moments from Liv and Vinny especially as they got together and the romantic proposal/ wedding back in February that I have to say left many viewers very happy you only had to look on twitter - through all of these storylines it's been wonderful to see Isobel and Bradley Johnson work well together.
In this week's episodes, viewers got to see Liv and Aaron repair their fractured relationship which led to some lovely scenes once again from Isobel and Danny Miller.

Kelly Windsor for me is a character that holds a special place in my heart as she was the very first character that I remember and one of the reasons why I first enjoyed watching on the show. Kelly's scenes with Viv Hope were something wonderful. Kelly's scenes with Scott were just as fantastic as I remember seeing this sweet bond between Adele Silva and Ben Freeman who played the pair. Kelly's relationships were ones that as a young viewer I never understood but then if I understood everything that went on in Emmerdale, I'd be worried. The scene that also comes into mind when I think of Kelly is her scenes from 2011 when she visits Jimmy King who is the father of their child, Elliot. However, I have to admit having been watching the old Emmerdale episodes on ITV3, I have been enjoying Kelly's journey as a whole and her scenes with Donna Windsor were just fantastic. Personally, I would really love to see Kelly return to the village one of these days and ideally played once again by Adele Silva.

Aaron Dingle well where do I begin with this character and his journey? As soon as I think of Aaron Dingle, I think of Danny Miller who took over the role in 2008, and ever since then he was involved in many hard hitting storylines from Aaron's arrests back in 2008, 2012 and 2017 which saw many turning moments for the character, Aaron's sexuality journey, Aaron's abuse and all the awareness the storyline made as well as the character meeting his half sister, Liv Dingle for the first time, as well as some lovely ones with his relationship with Robert Sugden which came to an end seeing Ryan Hawley leave the role in 2019 with Robert going to prison. My favourite scene(s) I think about when I think of Danny's journey as Aaron is the moment Aaron stood up in the caught and faced his father, Gordon Livesy during the trial as well as all the scenes with Liv which looking back now shows a lot of growth within their siblings relationship which I love as well as Robert's support for Aaron during the whole trial, another moment when it comes to Aaron is the official Robron wedding back on Friday 5th October, 2018 that I happened to watch with my friends via face time and what a happy ending this was as it reunited all of us Robron fans for one evening.
Having seen Aaron return this week and repair his relationship with Liv made me realise how much I had missed the character. So grateful that Danny agreed to come back for their special anniversary.

Vinny Dingle who ever since arriving the village in 2019 with Mandy Dingle, Vinny's been a character that I have to admit had me interested as there was clearly more to him being the shy and naive character she was portrayed to be. Even though Vinny isn't a Dingle by blood he definitely looks out for his family, but when he told Sam and Lydia (I think if I remember rightly?) that he wasn't a Dingle but blood you saw this vulnerability which we still see to this day making the character one that many people continue to love.
Back in 2020, Vinny and Liv first started dating let's be honest since then they have been on one hell of a journey going through some hard-hitting storylines including Paul's abuse towards him due to his gambling addiction, as well as many happy storylines with the most recent being his wedding to Liv Flaherty which I have to admit had many viewers happy due to Vinny being so accepting of Liv's asexuality. Through all of these storylines it's been wonderful to see Isobel and Bradley Johnson work well together.

Gabby Thomas, one character that for me has grown a lot over the past 5 years especially with her father Ashley Thomas' dementia storyline that for me personally was something I can relate with and happened at a time I was going through it and it was good to know that how I am feeling was ok (this is why this show and this storyline will always be one of my favourites). 2021 saw Gabby grow up as she become a first time mum, and for the character it was needed and the struggle that came after were ones that needed to be displayed on a prime time show as these episodes helped a few people I know to realise that they are not alone in how they feel and that feeling overwhelmed is OK! During her son, Thomas' christening scenes back in early April, Gabby not a shock from Millie Tate as she overheard her giving her son a 'special' message from Jamie Tate that I have to say saw some lovely scenes between Rosie and Olivia Bromley who plays Dawn Taylor.

Robert Sugden, well where do I begin? In all honesty, I wasn't a fan of the character until Ryan Hawley took over the role, but ever since I have enjoyed getting to understand why the character is like he was - one thing I loved about Robert was his relationship with Aaron Dingle, well who couldn't? The way that Robert was worried about his sexuality, and struggled to understand but it was through his relationship with Aaron us viewers saw another side of the character, and for the better. It was in 2016 in the Super Soap Week episodes as Robert opened up that we really saw why Robert was like he is. Robert was always one of those characters that would look out for his families despite everything. The official Robron wedding is an episode, I will always love and it will be one that us 'Robron' fans will always remember. 

Ashley Thomas is the character for me who's final scenes hit me extremely hard (I am even emotional writing this) as the storyline was at the time my grandma was recently diagnosed with vascular dementia and I caught myself learning about this disease through the characters eyes giving me some understanding of what my grandma was experiencing - that hit me hard. The early days of Ashley were ones that I catch myself laughing at as he was so uncomfortable with Bernice Blackstock, but his relationship/ marriage to Laurel Thomas was one of the best, and one that today is still in my top 3 relationships on the show. Ashley's relationship with his children was one I enjoyed watching, and the way that he wanted to make sure they had a dad that was there as well as a dad they had boundaries with.

Diane Sugden, another character I cried at when she left last year - a character that I never thought would leave but one I am so grateful I witnessed on the show. Over the years, Diane was involved in some high profiled storyline from her cancer, her marriage to Jack and his death, being held hostage during the siege in The Woolpack in 2013, and the helicopter that ended up killing her sister, Val Pollard,  I was so grateful to have witnessed her comedy scenes with her daughter, Bernice - the way that Elizabeth Estensen and Samantha Giles worked together over the year has been amazing. Another thing I loved about Diane was her relationships with siblings; Victoria, Andy and Robert Sugden.

Carly Hope: The casting of Gemma Atkinson was brilliant as Bob Hope's daughter, Carly who rocked up to the village on her wedding day in a limousine wanting her father, Bob to give her away. Carly was a character that had a rather complicated back story that led her to do many crazy things. I loved it when Carly and Marlon Dingle become a couple briefly back in 2016 as this saw a different side of Carly with her wanting to be loved and loving the ones she cared about but seeing her breakdown ahead of leaving the village telling her father about her son's death - delivered incredibly emotional scenes that pulled on my heartstring.

Betty Eagleton, Seth Armstrong, and Edna Birch, who for me these three characters were the ones I remember the most from the early days of watching with my Grandma. Edna is one of those iconic characters for the way that she was one of those complex characters that most people were able to relate with whether it was knowing somebody like her, or a family member. Seth was someone that was also willing to help others and put everyone before himself and was one of those characters that I loved watching. Betty has a rather special moment that I'll always remember when I think of this character being a young girl myself at the time was the moment that Betty discovered that Seth had died and this gave us many emotional scenes as she buried Seth in the countryside surround by people she trusted. The relationships that Betty had with many characters were wonderful, and gave off this wonderful small village everybody knows everybody feel. Over the past few years, I have loved hearing all the Betty mentions.

Tricia Dingle, how can I not add the first character I saw 'die' in the soap? I remember watching Tricia Dingle in one of the very first episodes I watched and love her there was something about her attitude but one with such a caring nature. Then there was Tricia's relationship with Marlon Dingle that I absolutely loved watching, and when the character died - oh my, I was an emotional wreck and being a little girl - I didn't know how to react.

Lisa, Zak with their daughter, Belle Dingle (I know Belle is still in it) were one of the very first families that I remember loving as a little girl as they remembered me a little of my extended family. The Dingles are one of the most relatable characters because we all know a family member like them one way or another. Lisa is the motherly figure who wasn't afraid to say how she felt as well as providing the family member the support that needed in their times of need. Lisa was also involved in some hard hitting storylines. With Zak being the one that wanted to support his wife (until he cheated with Joanie - let's not talk about that!) but of course, Zak and Lisa ended up getting back together. Lisa's death to this date is still one of the most saddest. Zak has also been involved in many hard hitting storyline as well as continuing to be the back bone of the Dingle family. Belle is a character who reminds me so much of my cousin. Belle for me personally is a character that has grown so much growth/ development and really coming her own since the sad death of her mother, Lisa back in 2019. Belle has been through some extremely emotional storylines whilst also raising so much awareness. Over the past few months especially it has been wonderful to see Belle finally standing up for herself and for what she believes in.

To be honest, I could have chosen a few more characters because I love them all in their own way, but I have to narrow it down to these.
Did your favourite character make my list? If not, please let me know who yours is.

You can read other blogs in the series - Favourite Current Characters My Favourite Storylines

You can catch Emmerdale's 50th anniversary hour long episode on Sunday 16th October on ITV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY