EMMERDALE TURNS 50: MY FAVOURITE CURRENT CHARACTERS

Welcome to a blog post to celebrate Emmerdale turning 50 next Sunday (16th October). I decided back in March ahead of the anniversary to share my Top 10 characters from the present era of the show which I have to admit has taken a LONG time to agree (and even now I'm little still unsure they are in the right order ha).

Liv Dingle (Flaherty) is a character from her very first scene I have absolutely loved exploring especially as she came in as such a fiery teenage character was took Robert Sugden's wallet as Aaron Dingle met his little half-sister for the very first time. Over the past 6 years, Isobel has been able to have many wonderful storylines and the opportunity to show what a fantastic actress she is with her epilepsy diagnosis, her issue with alcohol especially as she struggled to deal with what happened in the barn on Paul Ashdale and Mandy Dingle's wedding day in 2021, her asexuality along with her relationship with Aaron/ Chas Dingle as well as some of the beautiful moments from Liv and Vinny especially as they got together and the romantic proposal/ wedding back in February that I have to say left many viewers very happy you only had to look on twitter - through all of these storylines it's been wonderful to see Isobel and Bradley Johnson work well together.
It was lovely to see Liv and Aaron repair their relationship last week, Isobel and Danny Miller are fantastic.
Liv is a character that I will always be grateful for and for the discovery of Isobel Steele's insane talent.

Kelly Windsor for me is a character that holds a special place in my heart as she was the very first character that I remember and one of the reasons why I first enjoyed watching on the show. Kelly's scenes with Viv Hope were something wonderful. Kelly's scenes with Scott were just as fantastic as I remember seeing this sweet bond between Adele Silva and Ben Freeman who played the pair. Kelly's relationships were ones that as a young viewer I never understood but then if I understood everything that went on in Emmerdale, I'd be worried. The scene that also comes into mind when I think of Kelly is her scenes from 2011 when she visits Jimmy King who is the father of their child, Elliot. However, I have to admit having been watching the old Emmerdale episodes on ITV3, I have been enjoying Kelly's journey as a whole and her scenes with Donna Windsor were just fantastic. Personally, I would really love to see Kelly return to the village one of these days and ideal played once again by Adele Silva.

Aaron Dingle well where do I begin with this character and his journey? As soon as I think of Aaron Dingle, I think of Danny Miller who took over the role in 2008, and ever since then he was involved in many hard hitting storylines from Aaron's arrests back in 2008, 2012 and 2017 which saw many turning moments for the character, Aaron's sexuality journey, Aaron's abuse and all the awareness the storyline made as well as the character meeting his half sister, Liv Dingle for the first time, as well as some lovely ones with his relationship with Robert Sugden which came to an end seeing Ryan Hawley leave the role in 2019 with Robert going to prison. My favourite scene(s) I think about when I think of Danny's journey as Aaron is the moment Aaron stood up in the caught and faced his father, Gordon Livesy during the trial as well as all the scenes with Liv which looking back now shows a lot of growth within their siblings relationship which I love as well as Robert's support for Aaron during the whole trial, another moment when it comes to Aaron is the official Robron wedding back on Friday 5th October, 2018 that I happened to watch with my friends via face time and what a happy ending this was as it reunited all of us Robron fans for one evening.
Seeing Danny come back as Aaron last week was beautiful especially for such a special anniversary and for Aaron and Liv repairing their relationship.

Vinny Dingle who ever since arriving the village in 2019 with Mandy Dingle, Vinny's been a character that I have to admit had me interested as there was clearly more to him being the shy and naïve character she was portrayed to be. Even though Vinny isn't a Dingle by blood he definitely looks out for his family, but when he told Sam and Lydia (I think if I remember rightly?) that he wasn't a Dingle but blood you saw this vulnerability which we still see to this day making the character one that many people continue to love.
Back in 2020, Vinny and Liv first started dating let's be honest since then they have been on one hell of a journey going through some hard-hitting storylines including Paul's abuse towards him due to his gambling addiction, as well as many happy storylines with the most recent being his wedding to Liv Flaherty which I have to admit had many viewers happy due to Vinny being so accepting of Liv's asexuality. Through all of these storylines it's been wonderful to see Isobel and Bradley Johnson work so well together.

Gabby Thomas, one character that for me has grown a lot over the past 5 years especially with her father Ashley Thomas' dementia storyline that for me personally was something I can relate with and happened at a time I was going through it and it was good to know that how I am feeling was ok (this is why this show and this storyline will always be one of my favourites). 2021 saw Gabby grow up as she become a first time mum, and for the character it was needed and the struggle that came after were ones that needed to be displayed on a prime time show as these episodes helped a few people I know to realise that they are not alone in how they feel and that feeling overwhelmed is OK! During her son, Thomas' christening scenes back in early April, Gabby not a shock from Millie Tate as she overheard her giving her son a 'special' message from Jamie Tate that I have to say saw some lovely scenes between Rosie and Olivia Bromley who plays Dawn Taylor.

Ryan Stocks, a character that seems joining the show back in June 2018 as Charity Dingle son who she gave up for adoption when he was born. Us Emmerdale viewers getting the opportunity we did to meet the character we did through some emotional scenes, and learning why Charity gave him up allowed for the character to come in and have a background that left viewers intrigued to how their relationship would go. The way that The Dingles all expected Ryan expected Noah straight away was wonderfully. Ryan and Charity's relationship has grown and developed and seeing them so close now is amazing.

Chas/ Charity/ Cain Dingle are three characters that I think highly off when I think of Emmerdale. Back when I was a little girl, I wasn't sure about Charity and Cain but the older I got the most iconic these characters are to the Dingle family as a whole. Chas and Cain's sibling relationship is one that has also left me wondering but I have to say when they support one another they really have each other's back. Chas and Charity are the dream team especially between when it comes to The Woolpack. Chas needs her husband, Paddy as much as Charity needs Vanessa Woodfield as much as Cain needs his wife, Moira. The vulnerability that has been shown between these three characters over the past 18 months in particular, I have really loved getting to know their characters once again and realising why Emmerdale needs these three characters. Throughout Faith Dingle's cancer storyline, my heart has been breaking for Chas and Cain despite the fact that he struggled at the start, but the way that he was there for his mother was wonderful to see. Back in the final week of July, it was wonderful to see Charity support a young Amelia Spencer in a life changing decision. Charity is one of those characters who always sticks up for her family and that's what I love most about the character.

Kim Tate is a character that I haven't always been a fan of (and I am not afraid to say this) but you I have definitely learnt that Claire King is an excellent actress. Since Kim's guest appearance during 2018 as part of the shows Super Soap Week's masquerade ball before returning permanently in 2019. Kim has been involved in many storylines from her relationships with Graham Foster (who was actually her husband), her feud with daughter-in-law, Andrea Tate, Dawn Taylor, belong with her son, Jamie Tate and the mother of her grandson, Gabby Thomas, and now Kim is in a relationship with Will Taylor that I'm loving seeing.
As a viewer something, I've really enjoyed is learning more about Kim because there is a lot more vulnerability that what I first realised especially throughout 2021 when it comes to looking after her family, and the ones that she cares about. Kim's softer side showing through when it comes to her grandson, Thomas and how Kim's relationship with Gabby has changed over the past year is one relationship I didn't think would turn out like it has.

Dawn Taylor for me is one character that has a lot more to the character that what first met the viewers eye when they arrived back in 2018 (wow, I didn't realise that it's 4 years this year). The more we have learnt about the character's backstory the more, I have loved exploring the characters and we see why the character is like she is, and I have to say Olivia Bromley is a fantastic actress - the emotion and the delivery of dialogue is wonderful in the most vulnerable side to Dawn. Over the past few months, Dawn and Billy Fletcher's relationship has been one, I've loved seeing develop and watch due to the way that the characters have one another backs through the good and bad times. Dawn over the past few months has become more of a strong independent woman. The vulnerable from Dawn in June/ July were beautiful to see as Olivia Bromley does vulnerability fantastically.

The mother and daughter duo in Amy and Kerry Wyatt are a team that have been through so much yet they have so much believe and support for one another. Back in December 2011, the moment that Amy at that time was played by Chelsea Halfpenny saw the character give birth to Cain Dingle's son, Kyle from a one night stand. However, seeing Amy and Kerry's relationship grow over the past 18 months has been wonderful to see especially their vulnerability as Natalie Jamieson and Laura Norton's relationship on and off screen is fantastic.

I couldn't end this blog without giving two special mentions; one being Lydia Dingle played by the brilliant Karen Blick who I have to admit since she joined the show back in 2016, Lydia has been one character that I have really have enjoyed watching especially as it comes to her character development as it's through this we have seen some brilliant scenes especially between her and the Dingle family members, and watching her friendship with Kim Tate - this is something I never thought would work but it does. Lydia has been on those characters that I have loved seeing as she's the one who holds the Dingles together.
Amelia Spencer is a character that over recent months has really impressed me with Daisy Campbell's acting ability being at the forefront with her pregnancy storyline. Daisy is a talented young actress with a bright future ahead and one human who is the nicest as well which for me is something I love! Amelia is a character that I have really enjoyed watching, and seeing really come into her own especially over the past few months. The way that the characterisation has changed and developed it's had me enjoying all the twists and turns along the way. The way that Amelia has been paired with Noah Dingle over the past few weeks is one that I have been enjoying and you can see a change in Noah, and for the better some would say. With Noah having chosen to stand by Amelia and her baby, it'll be interesting to see what happens next. I am really excited for the special anniversary week.
Faith Dingle, who over the past few months has been a character and with her cancer storyline has seen her quickly become one of my new favourite characters thanks to Sally Dexter's incredible acting and her attention to detail has been beyond fantastic.

I could have picked all of the current characters in all honesty because I love them all in their own way, but I have to narrow it down to these.
Did your favourite character make my list? If not, please let me know who yours is.

You can read other blogs in the series - Past Favourite Characters My Favourite Storylines

You can Emmerdale 50th anniversary episode on Sunday (16th October) on ITV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY