EMMERDALE TURNS 50: MY FAVOURITE STORYLINES

Welcome to a blog post to celebrate Emmerdale turning 50 this Sunday (16th October). I decided back in March ahead of the anniversary to write sharing my favourite storylines over the years, which I have to admit has taken a LONG time to write and actually like.

Ashley's Dementia: How do I begin to talk about this storyline because it was done at the time, a family member was diagnosed and it helped me so much and in a way that I never knew I needed to see it to understand how it can effort a loved one - I will always be thankfully to the show for helping me understand! I am writing this through tears streaming down my face, so I can only apologise that it's a short one.

Tricia Dingle's death as a lightning strike hit The Woolpack and the chimney came down was one of the saddest scenes I remember as being a 10 year old girl as these episodes aired I was amazed by this stunt! One thing I do remember about this storyline was being so upset as Tricia died a few days later in hospital because you always remember the first soap death you watched right? (or is it just me?)

Gordon's Trial: This storyline was one of the hardest to watch as the more the audience learnt about Aaron Dingle's upbringing the more the viewers wanted justice. Something that whenever I think of this storyline is the way that Gary Mavers was fantastic as Gordon Livesy with all the twists and turns of the storyline having viewers gripped as they all wanted justice for Aaron. Danny Miller was outstanding and all the awards he and Emmerdale got for this storyline were very well deserved. Aaron meeting his little half-sister Liv was the one positive to come out of Aaron's ordeal, and their first meeting will always be one of my favourites as when you look at how things changed over time the character development changed dramatically, and as a viewer as much as I didn't like it, it allowed for us to see different sides of the characters. The way that Aaron was there for his sister through everything over until his departure before it got too much was something I enjoyed watching as Danny Miller and Isobel Steele worked so well together.

Emmerdale's 40th (Live Episode): The episode is one that still lives with me for it being live and I was in such awe of the show, the actors/ actresses involved, and how well everyone worked to make the episode work in a way that was effortless. The high drama with Debbie Dingle and Gennie Walker giving birth in the episode whilst there was a lot of drama from Chas Dingle, and Cameron Murray as well as from Katie Sugden and Declan Macey on their wedding days plus the death of Carl King. It was through this episode that made me realise how much I would love to work in the media industry, and still to this day I continue to chase my dream.

Aaron Dingle and Robert Sugden's Wedding everyone that knows me and has followed my blog from the start knows how much of a Robron fan I was back in 2017/ 2018, and their official wedding was beautiful and a rather special moment for many of us fans. It bought us all together in a way that was very special and I still remember being with my friends watching the episode, and witnessing something magical. The love story between Aaron Dingle and Robert Sugden was one of a kind their whole journey was beautiful to watch and seeing them so happy made the fans happy until it broke down. Enough said.

Diane Sugden Leaving for me last October seeing Diane leave the village as actress Elizabeth Estensen retired from the soap, and for me the episode had me emotional. The moment that Diane was driven off in the car - my god was I an emotional wreck. Diane was one of those characters that holds so many memories of my time watching Emmerdale. Diane for me will be one of those characters I'll always remember watching with my grandma and loving.

Liv and Vinny's Wedding: Back on 24th February, Liv and Vinny decided to elope and get married which allowed for some of the sweetest scenes that showed so much at the character developments and that dispute everything they have been through over the past few characters they always have each other's back. The vows between the pair were so beautifully written giving us fans exactly what we wanted and in a way that is very personal to them. Also, I have to add the view they said in front of Mandy Dingle after she was devastated to learn of their elopement were even more special with the brilliant attention to detail - it was very much Liv and Vinny.

The Plane Crash: Back in 1993, a was a baby but having asked my mum about the storylines she enjoyed watching this was one that came to her head with me having researched and watched clips, I can honestly see why. With 18 million viewers for the episode, the shows highest-ever rating when it aired on 30th December. The attention to detail throughout the episode was something that I enjoyed, and the amount of work that went into the stunt was something special for sure.

Kim Tate's Returning back in 2018 during the masquerade ball for Super Soap Week in 2018. The one thing that I remember most about this week was the lead up to Claire King's return on social media even though I was a little unsure at the start of the character returning after time away. However, the moment Kim that was seen on screen it was like she had never been away. The camera shots revealing Kim were perfectly timed giving.

Super Soap Week there is something so special about these weeks in general as they allow for Emmerdale to give us viewers what we want with a whole week of drama. Whenever the Super Soap Week goes ahead the amount of fans that are bought together on social media is wonderful where they share their opinions and many times it allows for fans to connect with one another. The Soap Super Weeks that have for me been the most amazing was 2016 with the car pileup - the story telling, the writing, the directing, the camera angles, and the make-up etc were fantastic allowing us viewers to have one of the best weeks as well did 2017 with the Emma and John Barton storyline.

One thing I love about Emmerdale's storylines is when they raise awareness and some that I'll remember are:
Tracy Metcalfe's postnatal depression as the attention to detail within this storyline and the way that the build up/ the diagnosis that was delivered was something that helped many people and many fans got a good understanding. Amy Walsh worked so incredibly hard on the portrayal of this storyline.
Liv's asexuality is a storyline that was beautifully bought to the audience of young fans, and this helped a few people I know to understand the way they felt and that it was ok (we are all different and that's ok!). The way that Liv is now a character who is married to someone who understands and accepts her for who she is, is wonderful.
Marlon Dingle's stroke is one of the most recent storylines that for me hit me the hardest whilst also seeing Mark Charnock shine whilst delivering a rather hard hitting storyline that was developed with a lot of vulnerability allowing for the shows fans to get an understanding for the symptoms including what to do if we spot any of them. Mark Charnock was absolutely standout showing exactly why he is still in the show 25 years later.
Vanessa Woodfield's cancer storyline is the storyline that for me helped a friend of mine to go to the doctor, and will always be one of those I'll always be grateful for Emmerdale highlighting. Michelle Hardwick during the delivery of this storyline was incredible, and the way that everything was developed through such honesty and heartfelt scenes that allowed the viewers into her world. Thank you, Michelle for your incredible portrayal.

Most recently, I've enjoyed Amelia Spencer's Pregnancy as it's been an interesting one because it's left me with many questions as it's not a character I was expecting to get a storyline like this but knowing that Daisy Campbell suggested makes it more interesting! The storyline has also allowed for us viewers to see what a fantastic actress Daisy is! Ahead of the anniversary this Sunday (16th October), I am very excited to see the character take centre stage.

I could have picked a lot more storylines in all honesty because I love them all in their own way, but I have to narrow it down to these.
Did your favourite character make my list? If not, please let me know who yours is.

You can read other blogs in the series - Favourite Current Characters Past Favourite Characters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY