ALBUM REVIEW - CALLISTA CLARK - REAL TO ME THE WAY I FEEL

Today (Friday 14th October) will see 19 year-old singer-songwriter, Callista Clark release her debut album, Real To Me The Way I Feel which is made up of 10 tracks.

Album Cover Courtesy of Big Machine Records

It’s ‘Cause I Am is the perfect song from Callista to open her debut album with. The first verse sees Callista's classic tone which is a crisp soft vocal that is her signature style and sound. I love the electric guitar instrumental, whilst the lyrics throughout It's 'Cause I Am shine through. You can hear such a raw passion for the lyrics making it even more magically, and Callista has some beautiful song-writing skills which I shone fantastically. The chorus is of an upbeat tone that breaks the song up perfectly supporting all the verses brilliantly as well as features lyrics that are upbeat sing-alongs. The second verse sees the song turn a little, but in a way that is great. It's the take me as I am, or leave me song - which demonstrates what a great artist she is! Callista knows her own mind.

Gave it Back Broken has a slower soulful piano instrumental which sets the tone for the song beautifully. The first verse sees Callista's soft vocal at the forefront which instantly allows for the lyrics to resonate with listeners whilst Callista takes us all on a journey. I love the way that Callista digs into her own experiences in turn allowing for many special moments to be shared. The vocal delivery from Callista throughout is simply stunning. The chorus features the most beautiful lyrics that you can hear so much emotion from Callista within, giving us even more special moments. I have so much praise for the wonderfully picked lyrics as they bring the song together is an amazing way. There is so much emotion shown that makes this stand out. The second verse of Gave It Back Broken continues with the self-blame part of the relationship coming to the forefront allowing for the song to take another turn which was beautifully timed despite all the heartache you feel. The emotion got me tearing up, but only because I caught myself relating with certain lyrics. Every single time, I hear the chorus I get even more emotional. The final verse happens after a small instrumental which sees Callista return with her softer crisp vocal highlighting the songs key lyrics. To end Gave It Back Broken the chorus is repeated allowing for the song to come full circle seeing Callista vulnerability shine through is brilliant.

Change My Mind has an upbeat instrumental which mixed with her crisp vocal is a fantastic opening. The first verse is one that is full of a lot of sass and honesty that gives off this fantastic storytelling that mixed with Callista fantastic song-writing is beautifully delivered. The chorus brings every single verse together in such a fantastically beautifully detailed way. I adore the amount of the sass within Change My Mind. The lyrics are super catchy with this female empowerment at times which I personally loved hearing, whilst singing along at times. The instrumental break up was beautifully timed especially as Callista bought in her softer tone for the bridge. Change My Mind is a great song!

Worst Guy Ever starts with a soft guitar instrumental which is beautiful mixed with Callista soft, crisp vocal tone. The first verse shows a lot of vulnerability plus a little grace giving us viewers this fantastic opportunity for Callista to show what an incredible singer-songwriter she is! The chorus is beautifully delivered and you can hear the storytelling at the forefront, whilst also hearing a little of experience within the lyrics that are being sung. As Worst Guy Ever continued the attention to detail from the honesty is perfectly showcased, and you can hear the vulnerability shining through that for me is something that is making me emotional. The vocal deliver with the clever tones that were being used added even more layers to the song allowing for many special moments.

Brave Girl opens with a beautiful yet emotional guitar instrumental which supports the song brilliantly throughout. The first verse of Brave Girl sees a lot of emotional lyrics and one that I caught myself getting rather emotional over as I caught myself being able to relate with many of the lyrics. I have nothing, but praise for Callista writing this song. The chorus is full of many empowering lyrics that are filled with such beautiful stories and through the journey of the song you can hear so much person meaning making it even more special to us listeners. Callista's softer vocal is beautifully timed and perfectly chosen for the song. The second verse continues Brave Girl fantastically with many more relatable lyrics with Callista's vocal going a little more upbeat as it heads into the chorus. The attention to detail throughout Brave Girl is stunning, whilst remaining sentimental.

Wish You Wouldn’t has a soft piano instrumental which compliments Callista's crisp vocal tone. The first verse is delivered with such honesty that I could myself listening to the lyrics rather carefully as well as it getting me thinking about all those moments in my own life. The delivery is so honesty and right from the phone. The storytelling is beautiful especially within the chorus is gorgeous and with such purity within her vocals, I am an emotionally mess. The empowerment is gorgeous and delivered with such grace. WOW, I am in awe of Callista's delivery throughout.

Heartbreak Song starts with a soft guitar instrumental in the background supporting the song brilliantly throughout. The first verse is full of a lot of sadness, but honesty of a hard situation/ time in her life through a song who's lyrics are beautifully, and written straight from the heart. Callista's vocals are crisp and fantastically highlight a lot in the songs lyrics as the song continues to grow and develop. The chorus see Callista's soft vocal at the forefront along with a some upbeat moves allowing for the perfect blend. Heartbreak Song continues with even more vulnerability being allowed to shine through, with her sombre tones. Callista demonstrates her fantastic vocal control especially as she goes into her soft moments. Callista Clark, you are one fantastic young singer-songwriter who deserves a lot more recognition. An 18 year-old with this much talent.

Don’t Need It Anymore sees Callista open the track with her softer vocal tone allowing for some sweet moments right from the start. The first verse is full of doubt, but the honesty that things don't always go the way that it should, however, the honesty within the delivery of the chorus was something that bought a tear to my eye due to the purity of Callista's vocal tone. Thee chorus links every single verse together gracefully which caught me appreciating every single lyric. Within the second verse, the honesty hit me even more due to the personal connection with the lyrics giving me many powerful moments. I caught myself crying a few times - songs that do this to me are so powerful, and I love it when I get a powerful connection so thank you, Callista.

Sad has a soft instrumental to start complimenting the song brilliantly throughout. The first verse sees Callista's crisp vocals at the forefront displaying her raw and honest lyrics that you can hear have been written from the heart which I really appreciate. The chorus featured a turn on the song that I wasn't expecting, however, one that I really enjoyed and appreciated a lot. The upbeat tempo of Sad is brilliant, and will take a lot of people by surprise. The second verse of Sad continues with the upbeat lyrics which are just fantastic adding this wonderful layer to the song - this is something I am really appreciating. Callista's vocal tone is stunning throughout making it even more incredible. The final verse is in a much softer tone allowing for a slower pace of the song, that is until the final chorus that returns to the uptempo pace.

Real To Me has this raw and emotive feel that starts throughout. The first verse is one that personally had me hooked thanks to the honesty from Callista's perspective making it extremely personal and relatable to many of her listeners. The softer vocal is perfect for the songs lyrics and tone of the song. 
The chorus features many heartfelt lyrics that a lot of people will be able to relate too whether they have been through this stage in life, or are going through this stage in their lives. The second verse of Real To Me continues with even more honesty and the way that Callista opens up about certain parts of her life is beautiful - making this song unique. The final verse is the part that had me listening extremely clearly with the lyrics, and getting a new set of appreciate for the songs lyrics.

You can follow Callista on her Social Media
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY