INTERVIEW WITH FRANKIE DAVIES ABOUT HER CHRISTMAS EP, HOME THIS YEAR AND CHRISTMAS PLANS

Today (Friday 18th December) will see Channel Islands based Jersey girl, Frankie Davies release her first Christmas EP, Home This Year.
I caught up with Frankie to talk about the EP and her Christmas plans.

You can read my review of Home This Year here.

Good Morning, Frankie. I am very grateful to finally be featuring an interview with you after all these years of supporting you.
How are you today?
I’m feeling very Christmassy.

Today sees you release your Christmas EP, Home This Year - how are you feeling about it?
I’m nervous and excited, but I’m really looking forward to hearing what listeners think and how it makes them feel.
I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

2020 has been a tough year for many people with the lockdowns, how have you find them?
They have been super tough not playing music and doing my job but has it made me appreciate so many things, this beautiful place I live and the community that I’m so lucky to be surrounded by. Everyone where I live has been supporting each other and their businesses so much more because of the pandemic, and I think that it’s the hard times that have brought us together.
What a beautiful story to hear about togetherness. I can't begin to imagine how hard it has been for all your musicians.

But in September (I believe), you got married which I would like to share my congratulations with you once again - how was the wedding for you?
Ah thank you! It was magical, we couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day filled with sunshine and just a few family and friends.

Leading very nicely to my next question was Home This Year a project you created during lockdown?
It surprisingly wasn't from lockdown in March till after the wedding in September I hadn’t written a single song, I felt too much pressure to create something and I was overwhelmed will all the time I had that I couldn’t write. Instead of trying to push too hard I just got into gardening and walking and I knew I would write again. Then in September, I sat down one day and I wrote 2 Christmas songs and then the rest of the week I wrote a bunch more and I knew that I had to share these songs and that’s where ‘Home This Year’ started - only a few months back.
It honestly sounds like it was a planned release but knowing it wasn't makes it even more special.

What made you decide to release a Christmas EP?
I’ve always wanted to release a Christmas album (one day I will do a full length one) but I love Christmas, everything about it, it’s my favourite holiday. Every year, I create a CD for my Mum for her present, I would record my family singing covers of Christmas songs and it’s been a great way to kick off Christmas day listening to all of the songs we recorded. We’ve done that for about 10 years now and it felt like perfect timing, writing these songs I knew straight away I wanted to put together these songs as a gift for my parents since I won’t be able to see them this year.
What a beautiful story, I love how you do this for your mum. I bet your mum is so excited about this release then.

Home This Year features 5 songs, how did you decide on what 5 songs to put on the EP?
The songs I included on the EP are all based around being at home for Christmas and what that means for myself or for other people. It felt like these songs were a perfect balance of sad, happy, loving and celebrating the magic of Christmas.
It's the most perfect brilliant blend.

Frankie, can I ask you please to tell us a little about the 5 songs?
Well, Home This Year is a typical Davies family Christmas and we things we always do on the day and how we celebrate Christmas as a family. All I Need For Christmas is the Christmas love song about being with that special person, and I guess a sneak into what my Christmas at home with my husband is like. Forgive Me is an apology for not making it home, Something About Christmas is about the magic and happiness of Christmas finally This Is The Year ends the EP on an optimistic note - New Year’s Resolutions come from a place of positivity, and taking that positivity and running with it is the key.

How was the recording for the EP?
It was different to usual recording setups but it was a process I really enjoyed. Myself and my friend and guitarist Dan recorded our parts at home with the help of Harry Lovelock who mixed and produced the EP and it was a very relaxed way of recording and just trusting Dan and Harry and the magic they would create would work.
What a magical thing to hear, dream work makes the team work sort of moment.

I wanted to say how Home This Year is one magical EP - I am so grateful for the songs.
I'm so glad you like them!

How would you sum up your Christmas EP, Home This Year in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check it out?
Magical, sad and happy.

Finally, before I let you go I would like to ask you what are your plans for Christmas 2020?
Not much has been planned as we had hoped we’d be spending it in Jersey with my family but I think we’ll be having a quiet one at home with our dog Ronnie.
I miss Jersey. I just hope everyone over there is safe and well. Enjoy it whatever you do.

Thank you so much for your time, Frankie. I am super grateful.
Have a wonderful festive period. Sending lots of love.

You can follow Frankie on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY