ALBUM REVIEW - THE SHIRES - GOOD YEARS

Yesterday (Friday 13th March) saw British country duo, The Shires made up of singer-songwriters, Ben Earle and Crissie Rhodes release their brand new album, Good Years.
Good Years is made up of 12 songs.
The Shires were formed in 2013.

Lightning Strikes starts instantly with the first verse taking you straight into the song which I loved. The first verse showcased Crissie and Ben's fabulous vocal ranges which Crissie sings wonderfully and opens the song in The Shires style, I know and love. The lyrics are ones that are so captivating and allow you to create your own image for the lyrics being sung. The chorus features some catchy and fun lyrics about love that only The Shires do extremely well. Lightning Strikes will be perfect for a Nashville Nights kind of night which gave me goosebumps. The second verse continues the storytelling of Lightning Strikes about that time where you wish you could go back in time whilst also realising that maybe the past should stay in the past - it's the moments of realisation, we get in our lives. The lyrics are ones of honesty which connect to the chorus in the most wonderfully catchy way. The bridge of the songs showcased Ben and Crissie's harmonies wonderfully as did the chorus and I have to admit at times, I was given chills. Lightning Strikes ends with chorus tying the song altogether in one wonderful way.

On The Day I Die starts with a guitar instrumental which is something I love about all The Shires music, it's their unique factor. The first verse features some incredibly beautiful, heartfelt lyrics which I have to confess blew me away right from the very first tone mixed with Crissie's softer vocal range, I had tears in my eyes. The chorus sees Ben joining in showing off their incredible harmonies allowing the lyrics to shine through in the most beautiful way. The songwriting throughout On The Day, I Die is just incredible, and the storytelling from the lyrics is just magical. The second verse continues the beautiful song that is On The Day, I Die - I caught myself thinking over a loved one that I have loved and the lyrics really hit me. In the bridge of On The Day, I Die I did more tears appear thanks to Ben and Crissie's stunning harmonies which blew me away once again. On The Day, I Die ending with chorus in a softer vocal was just the most beautiful thing, I have heard!

Good Years starts with a stripped back guitar and piano instrumental which starts the song off wonderfully. The first verse features little introduction ahead of Ben's vocals to start with the first verse allowing the lyrics to shine through and it's one that got me thinking right from the off. It is so nice hearing Ben start the song giving the song a different dynamic ahead of the chorus where Crissie joins in with her beautiful softer vocal range. The chorus has some rather catchy and fun lyrics that made me want to get up and dance. The songwriting at the part of the song is stunning. The second verse has Ben singing lead vocals once again and it is so nice hearing Ben's vocals with the lyrics as its the perfect mix! The bridge  has some of the most beautiful lyrics of the song repeated which is just the perfect blend of the song, ahead of the final chorus which ends Good Years perfectly. I adore this song, caught myself trying to sing along too.

No Secrets starts with a slower instrumental which works so well for the lyrics of the first verse in my opinion. The first verse has Ben singing lead vocals, and it is so nice hearing Ben's softer vocal range which with the lyrics works incredibly well. The songwriting on the first verse into the chorus is something that I like a lot. The chorus features some wonderfully upbeat lyrics about being in a relationship and having no secrets between you and that special person which I caught myself connecting with and thinking about opening up to your loved ones more. The upbeat instrumental is something that took me into my own little world. The second verse continues No Secrets wonderfully especially when Crissie takes over on the lead vocals with Ben singing a line, gave us the chance to hear how great The Shires are as a band. Their harmonies are something else in my opinion - and I love it! No Secrets ends with the chorus which I have to admit ends the song perfectly especially with their harmonies.

About Last Night starts with Crissie and Ben's beautiful harmonies ahead of the first verse alongside a guitar instrumental which followed. Crissie and Ben's vocals on the first verse compliment each other and the lyrics so well giving the listeners, a real feel for the song alongside the honesty of the song-writing. The chorus have some of the most beautifully poignant and catchy lyrics within the song. I love the dancer vibes you get from this song and I love the way Crissie and Ben are writing from their hearts and own experiences. The second verse continues the wonderful storytelling with Ben's softer vocals which I have to admit brings a different kind of feel to the song connecting the chorus' beautifully. The bridge of About Last Night showcases Crissie and Ben's meaningful vocal tone within their harmonies before their softer vocals come into end the song.

New Year starts with a wonderfully upbeat guitar instrumental which is perfect for the start of this song before Crissie's vocal come in on the first verse. The first verse of New Year starts the song off with her beautiful crisp tone showing everyone her soulful side and allowing the lyrics to shown through. The first verse gets you thinking about New Year and who we welcome the New Year in with and that one special person who we hope is there. The chorus is the most moving part of New Year for me however, it is also the happiest thanks to Ben and Kaity Rae's song-writing on this beautiful song. I adore the way that Crissie and Ben harmonise and knowing each other the way that they do the most is stands out. The second verse of New Year continues with Ben getting the chance to sing solo which I have to admit brings another dynamic to the song with her warm vocals. The final verse of New Year gets you thinking about the 'what ifs' of either way the situation could go making this song relatable to everyone in so many different ways. The final chorus of New Year which ends the song in the most beautiful and wonderfully way - this is the perfect song to start the new era of The Shires music off with.

Only Always starts with a soft guitar instrumental. The first verse sees Crissie take the lead vocals on this verse which I have to admit in a stunning move as Crissie angelic vocal range is just suited on the lyrics of the song. The chorus features some wonderfully lyrics which got me thinking as Crissie and Ben both sang in beautiful harmony giving me goosebumps, this is something that is so magical about this duo and the way that they compliment each other in one incredibly beautiful way! The second verse sees Ben take over on lead vocals which for me gives the song a little bit more volume (and I mean that in a good way). The lyrics Ben sings are perfect for his vocals and the moment Crissie joins in with her sweet vocals ahead of the chorus, I was blown away. The bridge of Only Always is just stunning and breaks the song up incredibly ahead of the final chorus, Ben and Crissie's growth within this album is just beautiful - I can't wait to see them live this year!

Independence Day starts with a very upbeat and catchy instrumental which I love. The first verse gives you an instant American feels thanks to the title of the song and the first line with Crissie's softer vocals. Crissie and Ben's song-writing is something that is instantly shown and I love that this is one song that gives you a feel about their time in America over the past few years. The chorus is the part of the song where Crissie and Ben's harmonies are shown so incredibly well and give so much energy to the song which makes me emotional. I love that the song gives you a proper American feel which I absolutely adore and with the lyrics join in all the right places, I had goosebumps as I was listening. The second verse of Independence Day is the part of the song where Ben gets his solo bringing another dynamic to the song with his higher vocal range which I have to admit makes me love the song, a little bit more. The breakdown of the song with Ben on the bridge break down of the song was something that made me smile a lot. Independence Day came to a natural end with the chorus after Crissie's softer vocal on the bridge.
I have nothing but praise for Crissie and Ben on this song.

Thank You Whiskey starts with a soft instrumental supporting Ben's lead vocals in a much softer tone on the first verse which I adored giving the album an amazing feel of change. The lyrics are obviously written from the heart and are ones that got you thinking which is something I am loving about this song. The chorus sees some of the most incredibly beautiful lyrics which happened to really get me thinking about all the songs that have been sung so far and realising that The Shires really have come a long way since 2013 especially with Crissie on the backing vocals - the amount of respect I have for these two is just amazing! The second verse sees Ben continuing with the lead vocals which I have to admit supports the wonderfully moving lyrics. The bridge is the softest part of the song but allows the lyrics to shine through in a breath-taking way. The final chorus of Thank You Whiskey brings the song to the most natural end in the most beautiful way.

People Like Us starts with a very country feel guitar instrumental which I love sets the song up wonderfully. The first verse sees Ben's vocals start but it's not long before Crissie is in with her stunning vocal. The lyrics within this song are just stunning and incredibly honest, I caught myself being able to relate to them all instantly. The storytelling within the verse is just so moving and written from experience. The chorus has the most beautiful lyrics which I caught myself trying to sing along with despite not knowing the lyrics. Crissie and Ben's harmonies are just beautiful and compliment each other fantastically. The second verse continues People Like Us wonderfully and in such a way which sees Crissie and Ben get the message of their meaning of People Like Us across in a wonderfully, beautiful way - one that I have a feeling a lot of people will be able to relate too!
The bridge sees Crissie and Ben changing to a much softer vocal before heading into the final chorus with their normal higher vocal giving the song lyrics, their chance to shine.

Better Place starts with a darker sounding instrumental to start alongside a guitar instrumental too. The first verse sees Ben take the lead vocals first once again which is something I am loving about this about with it allowing the lyrics to shine through - the songwriting is golden throughout the song and even album infact. The chorus sees both Crissie and Ben take vocals which is something for me which is just perfect. The chorus features some of its most incredibly heartfelt lyrics which I have to admit moved me. The second verse sees Crissie take the lead which with her softer vocal range was just wonderful and what the lyrics of the verse needed. The bridge saw Crissie and Ben's harmonies shine through giving me goosebumps as they ended the song there - what a lovely movingly way to end this song. The meaning behind Better Place is just stunning and so moving which I have no doubt a lot of people once again will be able to relate too.

Crazy Days starts with a piano instrumental which compliments Ben's stunning vocals on the first verse which I have to admit, I am liking a lot. I love hearing Ben having his time to shine because with his songwriting and vocals on this album, I am in absolute heaven because there is something so wonderfully about all Ben has done on this song and the album. The chorus has some rather beautifully, heartfelt lyrics which caught me thinking about myself and my own life - songs like this are so rare and unique - I am super grateful. The second verse sees Crissie take the verse which I have to say I absolutely loved giving the lyrics it's chance to shine. Crissie's softer vocal range sees the song being bought into a different kind of light, if I am honest it gave me goosebumps. The bridge sees Crissie and Ben join in which was the perfect time to hear their vocals in harmony - I was blown away. Crazy Days ending with the final chorus was just stunning making it extremely moving thanks to their vocals and the lyrics.

You can follow The Shires on their Social Media
Website
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY