ALBUM REVIEW - LAURA OAKES - HOW BIG IS YOUR WORLD

This Friday (27th March) will see Liverpool born, singer-songwriter, Laura Oakes release her brand new EP, How Big is Your World.
How Big is Your World features 5 tracks.

Welcome To The Family starts with a funky and upbeat guitar instrumental which sets the song up perfectly. The first verse of Welcome To The Family shows off Laura's amazing crisp vocal sound which I absoultely love and with parts of the lyrics being ones a lot of people will be able to relate too.  The song-writing from Laura is just wonderful, having been given it's moment to shine. The chorus is my favourite part of the song and the most catchiest making me want to get up and dance - this is something about Laura's song-writing that I love the most if I am honest! I remember hearing this song live back in May and the audience being so in love with the song and captivated by the whole message in the song, I can't help but feel that emotion once again. The second verse of Welcome To The Family continues the storytelling within the song wonderfully especially when it comes to the honesty within the lyrics of family members not always talking and other family members doing their own things in their lives, it gets you thinking that's for sure! The final verse of Welcome To The Family slows the song down wonderfully especially when it comes to the chorus because you hear the lyrics even more clearly and I caught myself getting a little emotional over.

Better In Blue Jeans starts with an uptempo party kind of feeling complimented very simply by Laura's stunningly beautiful soulful vocals supported by a guitar instrumental. The first verse gives you this fairytale kind of vibe which I adore and mixed with the verse starting with Laura's medium vocal range which gives the song that little bit more energy and I adore Laura's style for this song so much. The lyrics are simply stunning and tell such a beautifully gorgeous story relationship fairytale journey within the song which continues to the chorus beautifully. The chorus of Better In Blue Jeans is my favourite part of the song and right from the very start of the chorus starting I caught myself singing along whilst having a little dance. The energy within the chorus and the happiness the lyrics bring is something that I absolutely adore. The second verse continues Better In Blue Jeans with the fairytale story in my eyes in the most beautiful song and the Laura's softer vocal range allows the lyrics to come through in one of the most gorgeous ways, I've had the pleasure of witnessing in a while. The bridge features the chorus lyrics in a much slower vocal tone yet it gave me goosebumps. The follow on shows off Laura's stunning higher vocal tone and I can't believe I caught myself crying as I was listening to this part of the song despite having heard it live so many times in the past. I adored the fact that Better In Blue Jeans at the end ended with the chorus in a much softer vocal range allowing Laura's gorgeous voice to shine through worked very well with the lyrics.

Old Ghosts starts with a darker instrumental which I have to admit compliments Laura's darker sounding but softer vocal tone. The first verse sets the tone of the song wonderfully and the songwriting from Laura is something I have to say is just beautiful giving you a real way for the song. The lyrics of the song are written from the heart which is something I admire about Laura and her music. The chorus features some wonderfully beautiful lyrics that get you thinking, the chorus is one that makes me wanna get up and have a little dance and sing along despite not knowing the lyrics. The second verse continues the story telling beautifully allowing Laura to show off her stunning vocal range, this verse is the part of the song that I have to admit got me thinking about my childhood for some reason but I love that it got me thinking. The bridge/ final verse of Old Ghosts was just beautiful and I adored the fact that the good old Laura style of song returned in the middle gives me the 'Laura Oakes' feel which was perfect. Can't wait to see Old Ghosts live.

Learn To Be Lonely Again starts with a soft guitar instrumental which sets up the song wonderfully.
The first verse allows Laura to showcase her softer vocal range giving her heartfelt songwriting ability to shine through. The lyrics are so beautifully, honest and raw giving me goosebumps. The chorus features emotionally relatable lyrics that I caught myself drifting off into my own little world as I was listening to song. The lyrics are just incredible, showing off an incredibly vulnerable state which we all go through in our lives at some point - this something that Laura does incredibly well with connecting with her audience. Laura's softer vocal range suits this song so well. The second verse continues Learn To Be Lonely Again so wonderfully well - you can hear the vulnerability within Laura's vocal which for me makes the song that little bit more special. The fact that Learn To Be Lonely Again ended with the chorus bought the song to a natural end which was something that moved me! The emotion throughout this song is just perfect and what a lot of people are probably feeling and need to hear!

How Big is Your World starts with a guitar instrumental with a very earthy feel that I love. The first verse sees Laura's softer vocal range which allows the songwriting from Laura to come through right from the very start. The lyrics are ones that are stunning and rightly so with them being written from the heart. The chorus is one that got me thinking especially with everything that is going on in the world at the moment. The lyrics are ones of pure honesty and ones that start pulling on your heart strings. I also caught myself wanting to sing along. The second verse continues the How Big is Your World wonderfully and allows the song to grow in a way which continues to allow the songwriting from Laura to come through! The final verse is one that ends the How Big Is You World in a wonderfully beautiful way ahead of the final chorus coming in which I have to admit moved me to tears! The lyrics are incredible throughout!

You can join Laura on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY