ALBUM REVIEW - KELSEA BALLERINI - KELSEA

Yesterday (Friday 20th March) saw US singer-songwriter, Kelsea Ballerini release her third album which is self-titled, Kelsea.
Kelsea is made up 13 songs.

Kelsea is the perfect balance of Country and Pop Music whilst also being a journey of self-discovery and confidence to which I am grateful for.

Overshare starts with a proper party kind of vibe followed by a guitar and drum instrumental. The first verse is one of pure fun and honesty from Kelsea with her songwriting been able to standout. The honesty from the lyrics are ones that a lot of people will be able to relate to at the moment. The chorus has the most relatable lyrics that resonate will me because I am definitely someone who overshares and over cares about a lot of people in this world but I get nothing back from them. I caught myself trying to sing along with. The chorus is my favourite part of Overshare, if I am honest! The second verse continues with the vibe of the song fantastically in the way and the story within the lyrics are just wonderful. I love the mention of her use of social media but it's based on this day and age and where we are in our lives. The instrumental in the middle of the Overshare is one of pure brilliance breaking the song up wonderfully ahead of the final verse which is a little slower to the rest of the song. The final chorus brings the song to a very natural and happy end that I love and caught myself dancing along with. Thank you for writing this song, Kelsea.

Club starts with a beautiful instrumental which goes into the first verse magical with it's modern country vibes. The first verse starts with some of the most beautiful lyrics and the first line instantly had me hooked into the song. I caught myself wanting to sing along right from the start reminding me of a Taylor Swift song from years ago when she was country. The chorus is super catchy and fun which I absoultely adore. The lyrics are so magical and that's all thanks to Kelsea's softer and soulful tone which for me gets better and better with every single song in which she releases. During the chorus, I caught myself wanting to dance this is the perfect dance anthem. The second verse continues Club wonderfully and Kelsea's vocal tone is still one that is soft allowing Kelsea's song-writing to shine through. The second verse is one that for me, I was able to relate to the most it's so deep and written from a perspective a lot of people will be able to relate too and one that you can hear Kelsea has written from experience. The final verse is one that I caught myself with a tear in my eye because I remember a few years ago I felt like this and hearing it in a song makes me super emotional. The ending Club with the chorus is one magically thing! Club is one song that has blown me away and one I am so grateful for Kelsea choosing to write.

Homecoming Queen? starts with a soft and slow instrumental which starts the song off in the most beautiful way and instantly had me feeling a emotional from the very first verse which contained some incredibly moving and honest lyrics about self-worth, self-esteem, and being true to ourselves and not many artists are brave enough to write sings like this, so thank you Kelsea. The chorus contains some super catchy lyrics and ones that I caught myself instantly singing along with at the top of lungs after contacting with them having tears in eyes whilst listening. The chorus is teaching us about being our best foot forward and this message within the song is so important at the moment, I can't thank you enough for wanting to get the message out there. I have never been more grateful a song at this moment in my life as I am today with this song! The second verse continues this song in the most beautiful way with the extreme honesty connecting with me and giving me some great advice and one that most of us will be grateful for, because it's thanks to songs like this that we start to believe in ourselves once again! The final chorus Kelsea slowed her vocals down a little allowing the lyrics to shine through. The bridge is the part of the song where I caught myself crying a lot more because I was able to relate to the lyrics and I adore that Kelsea felt able to write a song like this for all her fans who are struggling. Homecoming Queen? is a masterpiece thanks to the lyrics and the emotion, Kelsea has put in!

The Other Girl (ft Halsey) starts with a very Halsey feeling instrumental which seeing as its a collaboration I am so up for hearing. The first verse hears Kelsea's vocal range change and get a little darker but with the lyrics it works well. The lyrics are ones that I didn't expect to hear from Kelsea as I wasn't expecting it if I am honest. The chorus has some lyrics that for me within the first verse I had questions about but by the chorus they are answered. The songwriting from Kelsea is one that is wonderful and tells such a fantastic story. The second verse sees Halsey come in with her lovely and soulful vocal which for me is something, I found rather special and unique about Halsey - also why I think her and Kelsea work so well together. The Other Girl sees both Kelsea and Halsey vocal range blended wonderfully together. The bridge sees The Other Girl has the most poignant lyrics being repeated at the most needed most in time into the final verse which works wonderfully well.

Love Me Like A Girl starts with a simple guitar instrumental which I have to admit I loved right from the off. The first verse sees Kelsea's softer and vulnerability within the songwriting of Love Me Like A Girl come through - I love how much growth of Kelsea as an artist this album is giving us! The lyrics are written from a place of hurt and wearing her heart on her sleeve. The chorus is one of much uptempo and fun whilst still being very Kelsea. The lyrics are beautifully stunning and worth a million stories - I caught myself singing along. The second verse continues Love Me Like A Girl wonderfully and hears the song take a different direction. This verse is definitely the reason why Love Me Like A Girl is going to become my anthem at the moment. The chorus concretes the song together fantastically on very single verse. The short but sweet instrumental in the middle of the song is one that works perfectly ahead of the final verse into the final chorus - incredibly beautiful.

Love And Hate starts with a beautifully soft instrumental that sticks throughout. Kelsea's softer and more vulnerable vocal on the first verse is nothing but a pure pleasure when listening to this track. I caught myself seeing my younger self and saying the difference is normal and that it's ok. A Song like this is definitely needed at this moment in time with everything that is going on in the world. The lyrics are ones of pure honesty. The chorus features some of the most beautifully written lyrics and you can hear the vulnerability of when Kelsea was in this worrying time in her life but with her choosing to share it, I have nothing but respect for her. The second verse continues the song fantastically and the vocal ability of Kelsea is a compliment to her songwriting. The instrumental break in the middle of the song was at the most wonderful time allowing the listeners to feel the next chorus which was sung. I was got a few goosebumps.

Bragger starts with a very different kind of instrumental which I have to say I was a little unsure off to start with however by the end it had grown on me. The first verse sees Kelsea share her more rockier vocal which was something, I didn't expect to hear if I am honest. The lyrics are ones from a dark place in which Kelsea had been through a while ago, but you can hear the growth within her vocals as an artist. The chorus are ones that I caught myself wanting to sing and dance along too with as us listeners got to see Kelsea's more upbeat tempo vocal range with a proper party anthem kind of vibe back instrumental which stays throughout. The second verse continues Bragger fantastically - reminding me of proper 2000 music and I love the feel, I got when I am hearing this song especially when the chorus comes in. The bridge of Bragger features the most catch lyrics that go into the final verse followed by the final chorus which all blended together fantastically well.

Hole In The Bottle starts with a guitar instrumental which supports Kelsea's softer more soulful vocals as she comes in on the first verse with some of the most of the most honest lyrics about that time when you go out for one drink and watch everyone else in the bar. The lyrics into the first verse give you a real sense of a different direction in which Kelsea is going with this song and I happen to like it. The chorus features some rather catchy lyrics which allow her to show off Kelsea's wonderful joyful vocal range. I caught myself wanting to dance a little to this part of the song and this is something I love from country songs. The second verse continues Hole In The Bottle in the most wonderful way as you can really hear how much Kelsea believes in her own song-writing ability within this verse which for me is something that I absolutely love. The lyrics are so catchy throughout Hole In The Bottle, Kelsea really is one amazing female artist. The instrumental break down ahead of the final verse broke Hole In The Bottle up in the most beautiful and wonderful way giving the listeners a chance to take in all the wonderful lyrics within Hole In The Bottle. The final verse is a lot slower than the other parts of the song which for me is something I love as it allows you to listen to the lyrics and Kelsea's wonderful vocal ranges. The final chorus is a lot softer and slower allows Kelsea to show off her softer and soulful side once again before Hole In The Bottle ends. Hole In The Bottle is a proper country jam.

Half Of My Hometown (ft. Kenny Chesney) starts with a softer and slower guitar instrumental. The first verse sees Kelsea's softer vocal range come in as she sings about growing up and what happens during your high school years which I caught myself being able to relate with. The chorus sees Kenny come in with his vocal which I have to say compliments Kelsea's vocal tone wonderfully and it's incredible listening. The lyrics are ones that a lot of girls will be able to relate where they still in their hometowns or moved on with their lives. The second verse sees Kelsea continue the story within the song so wonderful with the help of Kenny's vocal which is something that is giving me goosebumps at times as their vocals work so incredibly well together - a duet I never knew I needed! The final verse of Half Of My Hometown is my favourite along with the chorus as it reminds me of me and my best friends so much. The final chorus brings the song incredibly together fantastically. As I was writing this review, I caught myself listening to every single word and singing along.

The Way I Used To starts with a softer vocal from Kelsea ahead of the guitar instrumental coming in. The first verse sees Kelsea showing off her softer vocal range which compliments the lyrics of the song wonderfully, the lyrics are written from a place of hurt but also one of growth. The chorus' lyrics are beautifully relatable and gets you thinking about that special person you used to have feeling for and the way things have changed beyond your control. The second verse has the story of the song forming in a way that got me a little emotional as I was listening to every single word of the song. I love that Kelsea isn't afraid to write about her own life and the hurt she went through, because a last few I would never have thought Kelsea would do these kind of songs, however, I am so grateful she is. The bridge sees the most poignant lyrics being sung ahead of an even slower final chorus because the vocal step up a notch but it brings the song together beautifully!

Needy starts with a guitar instrumental once again which personally I am loving on this album of Kelsea's. The first verse has a proper upbeat feel which stay throughout. The lyrics within the first verse are ones of pure honesty that I have a feel a lot of people listening to this album will be able to relate too! However, the more the song went on and into it's chorus the more I wanted to sing along and get up and dance. The lyrics of Needy are definitely ones that a lot of people at the moment will need to hear and realise that it is ok to be needy some of the time with the uncertainty. The second verse continues Needy wonderfully with Kelsea's softer tone continuing for the songs lyrics which you can tell Kelsea has written based on her own personal experience leaving me speechless at times on the pure honesty, I which I could be this honest. The final verse of Needy is one of pure brilliance with the most poignant lyrics ahead of the final chorus coming in.

A Country Song starts with a beautifully softer guitar instrumental which gives off a proper country feel which is just wonderfully for the title of the song. The first verse sees Kelsea softer and more vulnerable side within the lyrics instantly, I caught myself tearing up on the second line. I love how Kelsea mentions about going home and seeing her friends when she needs a break because we all need our friends to chill out with. The chorus sees Kelsea's vocals range to suit the lyrics which is just beautiful and the fact that Kelsea says she wants to write a country song and she's written loads makes me so happy. The songwriting from Kelsea is just brilliant throughout. The second verse sees the song show growth of who Kelsea is as a person as she talks about her life and her life changing when she moved to Nashville. The final verse tiring A Country Song together beautifully ahead of its final chorus which is slowed down a little.

LA starts with a beautiful guitar that sets the tone for the song in the most wonderful way. The first verse opens the song up wonderfully. The lyrics are so open and you can hear Kelsea means every single lyrics she is singing making the song even more special. The chorus tells me that Kelsea is singing about her music career and the highs and lows that she has gone through in LA up until this point in her career which I have to admit had me a little emotional because Kelsea has made on damn incredibly special song. The second verse continues the song wonderfully and Kelsea softer vocal range gives the song so much more dynamic and heart which I happen to absolutely adore! You can hear within this verse that it's the hoping and wishing that you are accepting which everyone goes through at some point in our lives. The chorus connects all the verses in the most stunning way. Kelsea's vocal range is something that is demonstrated perfectly throughout. The bridge into the final chorus is the part of the song that got to me the most because you can hear Kelsea sings about the anxiety she is having at the moment or has faced in the past. This era of Kelsea is definitely my favourite.

You can follow Kelsea on her Social Media
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
Website
YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY