EP REVIEW - KELSEY BOVEY - XOXO

This Friday (2nd April) will see British singer-songwriter, Kelsey Bovey release her brand new EP, XOXO.
XOXO is made up of 3 tracks.

When speaking about the record, Kelsey states: “I wanted the music in this record to be a complete extension of who I am as a person. I wanted to incorporate the worst and best parts of my teenage years into 4 songs that I knew I could communicate to an audience because they were autobiographical in nature. I’m so grateful to all the people who continue to support what I do, and I really hope they enjoy these songs which truly represent who I am and what I’m about”.

You can read my interview with Kelsey here.

Photo Credit: Kelsey Bovey

Another Word has a very slow, and steady instrumental something that got me thinking right from the start about all the possibilities that the song could be about reminding me very much of a Gabby Barrett style song. The first verse sees Kelsey's soft vocal at the forefront allowing the lyrics a stand out moment as the message of the song started to come across. It's one of those songs that allows you to have you to create your own understanding of the meaning. The chorus features some incredibly beautiful lyrics that create such a raw, and honest feel that I caught myself feeling a little emotional on as I was listening thanks to the catchiness of the lyrics. The second verse of Another Word continues with the most beautiful storytelling which sees the story develop wonderful with the sweetest honest feel making me even more emotional having been through a similar situation. The bridge of Another Word allowing some of the most heartfelt lyrics to be repeated in a much softer tone, ahead of the final chorus which ends the song in the most naturally beautiful way.

30% Spirit has a beautifully timed guitar instrumental to start being the song beautifully to live in this rather special, and unique way. The first verse of 30% Spirit sees Kelsey's soft vocal at the forefront which instantly could be listening very carefully to every single word that was being sung by Kelsey, whilst also being able feel so much emotion within the lyrics. The heartfelt song-writing was something that had me hooked on this song because these are the kind of songs that make you see a different side of the artist. The chorus of 30% Spirit features some of the most incredibly beautifully heartfelt lyrics that hears the song naturally progress, and in a way that Kelsey captures wonderfully in the incredible storytelling song-writing. The second verse of 30% Spirit continues with the most beautiful lyrics that see the song grow in the most stunning way thanks to Kelsey's vocal range - this was the verse that had me crying as the lyrics got me thinking even more. The instrumental break up ahead of the final verse was the most beautiful move as it broke the song up as Kelsey's softer vocal returned ahead of the final chorus bringing the song together fantastically.

Told Me The Truth has an upbeat instrumental which is very different to the previous two songs making it the perfect blend of song for this EP from Kelsey. The first verse sees Kelsey's wonderfully soft, and sweet vocal at the forefront with her wonderfully upbeat lyrics that I couldn't help but feel a little happy about as it gave me proper country vibes - these are the kind of songs I personally love, and Kelsey's song as definitely made me realise my love for these style of songs all over again as I am getting Maddie and Tae vibes as does the second verse allowing the listeners of the song to get this real raw, and honest insight into the feelings throughout the story telling. The chorus of Told Me The Truth has this wonderful meaning, and the honesty to the song makes me smile throughout as the song-writing from Kelsey has been thought about as the attention to detail is there, and the meaning is clearly demonstrated too. The final verse of Told Me The Truth sees Kelsey's super soft, and slower vocal ahead of the final chorus tying the song together in the most beautiful way.

You can follow Kelsey on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY