INTERVIEW WITH KELSEY BOVEY ABOUT HER LATEST EP, XOXO

Today (Friday 2nd April) will see British singer-songwriter, Kelsey Bovey release her brand new EP, XOXO.
XOXO is made up of 3 tracks.

You can read my review of XOXO here.

Photo Credit: Kelsey Bovey

Afternoon, Kelsey. Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview with me, it's a pleasure as always to be talking to you once again.
How are you feeling about the release of your brand new EP, XOXO which is out today?
I'm just so glad that the day has finally arrived! When you work so hard for something and it's finally released in the world it's always so exciting. I'm just so happy that people have got behind it and supported it which always means so much. Knowing people love your craft and creativity is one of the best feelings and today is one of those days.
It's always a pleasure to see all of your hard work released into the world. The team you have behind you are so knowledgeable in all they do, and it's amazing when you are so excited about your products.

Kelsey, could I please ask you tell us a little more about all three of the single featured on your EP, XOXO?
The EP all together is a collection of many different topics but they could all been seen as linked in a way depending on how you view each song personally.

Another Word starts off the EP and this has more of a Gabby Barrett feel to it and is not quite the Kelsey norm. This song shows the point in a toxic relationship when the red flags begin to surface and you are finally realising that this situation is not healthy. In a way this song can be quite liberating as knowing that you are moving to a new and happier life without someone dragging you down is a great feeling.

30% Spirit is the ballad of the EP and the one that can reach quite deep. This song represents someone who is drinking away pain as this is the only way they know how to deal with their emotions. Growing up in a society where drinking for a young age is seen as the cool thing to do can cause damage without them realising in the moment. I want this song to speak to people who have dealt with this issue head on, prevent people from a young age to fall into this trap and overall create awareness of how much destruction it can cause overall.

Told Me The Truth is the classic Kelsey Bovey song so this will definitely have a sense of familiarity. This tells the story of a girl who is madly in love with someone (in secret) for a very long time and finally getting to the point when you know it's reciprocated. I think this journey of love is a common one for many and knowing that there is potential to pursue something with them can be so exciting.

Kelsey, you have managed to get every single emotion into your debut EP - how did you decide on which three songs to feature?
It's always a tough one but it always comes down to: What songs do I see as my best work? What songs will relate and connect with people the most? Having a collection of three many different emotions will connect with several different audiences and there is going to be something for everyone here. Going with your gut is so important and I'm glad that this is starting to connect with others already.
I can imagine you asking yourself all of those questions because you only ever want to release music people will connect with. 

All three of the songs featured on XOXO are very different vocally and lyrical, how did you get the perfect blend?
I know very often I like to stay in my little 'classic Kelsey' bubble but I'm really glad that I pushed some boundaries this time around. All three tracks are very different from each other but I think that's what makes this EP different. I think knowing your strengths as a writer and singer is always really important and understanding the technique to differentiate between all three songs definitely helps convey the different emotions presented.
The three songs featured on XOXO are very different, and a very different sound which I have to say shows how much diversity you have as an artist! You have definitely discovered your strengths within releasing this EP.

There is something so magical about this EP that had me feeling very single emotion as I was listening especially with the honesty, I can't thank you enough for this releasing this EP.
Bless you, that is lovely. Making things an experience for the listener is always so important and I'm glad you could connect with the journey.
This is something, I personally think you are fantastic at doing.

You have managed to created such a wonderful country feel to all three songs including tributes to many country artists style which I happened to adore hearing was this the plan?
In all honesty, this was never the plan but being compared to some of my idols is always appreciated. I loved stepping out of my comfort zone slightly with this EP as the songs are quite different to what people expect from me. I will always have my influences throughout the writing process and it's nice that they sometimes creep in without any intention.
Sometimes it is brilliant to step away from your comfort zone, and XOXO is definitely one of those moments. The attention to detail you were captured very well.

How long did it take for you to write this whole project? Did you write it song by song, or all in go?
This EP is a collection of memories for me as this was my whole lockdown experience in one. Not word for word but definitely some of the emotions and battles I faced played a role in all three songs. This was such a casual writing process, and I love when you have songs but they aren't for anything in particular. When you come back to these songs a few months later, that is when the magic happens and you begin to realise that it all was leading up to this release.

What was the recording process like for XOXO as I have a feeling it was recorded during restrictions being in place?
It is always so exciting. Now that I am a little more scrubbed up on my knowledge of commerciality in production this time around it definitely helped reach its potential. It was recorded with the restrictions in place which made it a very different experience with all the masks and social distancing but we got there in the end and it's always so lovely to feel that this is my best work to date.
It's down to all your incredibly hard working team that we have this EP. I can't wait for the rest of your fans to hear this EP.

How would you sum up XOXO in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check the single out?
My choice of three words would have to be Rollercoaster, Relatable, and Inspiring.
What a perfect choice of 3 words that are definitely demonstrated on this EP. Thank you so much for your time today, Kelsey. It's been amazing as always love catching up with you.

You can follow Kelsey on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY