MY FAVOURITE HOLLYOAKS CHARACTERS OVER THE YEARS

This is one blog post, I have also wanted to share but never was 100% sure whether too or not, but this weekend I thought why not!
I shared an Emmerdale one like this 3 years ago, so I thought why not sure one on Hollyoaks.

I have been watching Hollyoaks since I was a little girl, and I have always loved this show so I thought I would share with you my favourite characters from over the years. I tried to create a Top 10 but instead I have a Top 13.

Amy Barnes (Ashley Slanina-Davies) is my favourite ever character on the show because the moment she arrived on our screens in 2005 I thought there was something so wonderful about the character as she started off this shy girl that I thought be one of those characters that they would give a 'big' storyline too. Amy's teenage pregnancy in 2006/ 2007 with her daughter, Leah was a storyline that I remember being gripped by thanks to all the twists and turns that came after she had her daughter. The scene that sticks with me was the most is the moment that her then boyfriend, Josh Ashworth discovered during a party about Leah being Amy's daughter not his sister like her mum led everyone to believe. Ashley had many hard hitting storylines as Amy with many tough topics that raised so much awareness through her time on the show. When Ashley agreed to return as Amy in 2016 for a hard hitting storyline, I was so pleased however, I was devastated when her final scenes aired as she was killed off in 2017 in a storyline that had me gripped because as a viewer we never knew who killed her until a flashback episode.

Lisa Hunter (Gemma Atkinson) was a character I loved from the very first moment, she appeared on our screens back in 2001. The Hunter family were one of my favourite families thanks to their dynamic reminding me very much of one of my childhood friends. It wasn't until Lisa had her main storyline which saw her at the forefront of a very difficult issue raising awareness was one that I remember struggling to watch but one that I knew needed to be aired as it would help so many viewers, as did the repeat on Hollyoaks favourites back in July 2020. Lisa's teenage years were the most difficult for her, but ones that saw the character develop a lot. Lisa's relationship with her sister, Ellie (Sarah Baxendale) gave us many incredibly sweet scenes that many times, I remember getting emotional over as I would be watching. The whole 'Hunter' family in general were a brilliant cast.

Juliet Nightingale (Niamh Blackshaw) is a character I have loved seeing develop over the past few years as there is something more to this character watching her journey has been wonderful. Since the moment, Juliet arrived back in 2018 where she came in as this vulnerable character who you could tell was lacking a family unit, and this is clearly shown still shown up until this day. It's been nice to see the characters development showing her softer side but times, whilst also showing her vulnerability as she has been lead astray by others at times leading to her being one of those characters that has grown a fanbase in herself thanks to Niamh's brilliant portrayal. Juliet's friendship with Sid Sumner has been one of my favourites over their time on the show - the care the pair have for another is just wonderful to watch allowing their scenes to seem effortless. Over the past few months, viewers have seen Juliet fall for Peri Lomax after their kiss on New Year's Eve which lead to sad scenes as Juliet sent to prison for a couple of months, however in Friday's episode viewers saw the lovebirds reunite as Juliet was released. Niamh's acting during the recent storyline has been wonderful to watch, and had me feeling every single emotion. I just hope as the story continues as she is readjusting to life they remember that this gobby young lady is only her wanting reassurance.

Hannah Ashworth (Emma Rigby) was a character that I loved watching growing up, but there were times I couldn't understand her decisions, however, this was something I enjoyed watching as a viewer. The moment, I saw Hannah in a different light was when she started struggling leading to her being diagnosed with an eating disorder in a hard hitting storyline that had me gripped as you wanted to see her getting the help she clearly needed. The fact that Hollyoaks chose to tackle this difficult issue back in 2007 was something that I admired about the show, and still do to this day as they repeated this episode as part of Hollyoaks Favourite last year.

Clare Devine (Gemma Bissix) was a character that I loved seeing this bad girl kind of character of. However, 2009 was the year I loved discovering this character as she was in many scenes with Warren Fox, and Justin Burton involving many showdowns that would have me gripped so many times. Clare and Max Cunningham's relationship was one that was so wrong, but gave us viewers so many opportunities to see the ruthless side of the character. My favourite scene of Clare's has to be when she gave Warren, and Justin the run around having kidnapped Warren's sister, Katy seeing the car plough into the quarry. When Clare was killed off in 2013, I was sad because it was the end of the era for such a wonderful character that I grew up watching - I know she was a bad character, but she gave many wonderful performances.

Peri Lomax (Ruby O'Donnell) is another character that since she first appeared as had me intrigued in her journey as nothing was what it seemed for me. In 2014, a scene that Leela confessed all to Peri that she is fact her daughter not Danny, and Sam who she thought they were was one that for me saw the character change. I adore Ruby, and Kirsty Leigh Porter's scenes together. In 2015, Peri saw herself pregnant with Tom Cunningham's child was they went on to call Steph who ended up living permanently with Tom as Peri struggled with motherhood leading to her having a breakdown in the pub's flat kitchen. Peri has a character has been through so much being diagnosed with a brain tumour, running away resulting in her becoming homeless which Hollyoaks did an episode on, and recently viewers have seen Peri fall for Juliet Nightingale after their kiss on New Year's Eve 2020 which led to sad scenes as Juliet was sent to prison for a couple of months, however in Friday's episode viewers saw the lovebirds reunite as Juliet was released. I'm excited to see where the character goes now.

Ste Hay (Kieron Richardson) well where do I begin on this character because ever since his arrival in the village back in 2006, he has been one of the characters that has been at the forefront of many incredible storylines raising so much awareness on many issues. Ste's relationship with Amy Barnes was one that I remember watching but this was the moment I started to see the potential in the character, and actor as he did this storyline, but in a way that raised so much awareness (that is one thing Hollyoaks are good at doing.) Ste's relationship with Brendan Brady was one that I enjoyed seeing grow as Kieron, and Emmett J. Scanlan worked so well on screen together. Over the past few weeks, we have seen a softer side to the character with him being there for Sid Sumner when he has needed a friend. Ste's character development is one that I have enjoyed watching, and seeing him grow into a proper family man which has been wonderful to see over time.

Katy Fox (Hannah Tointon) was a character that I loved seeing develop because my god there was so much more to her that what appeared on our screens. Katy's relationship with her brother bad-boy, Warren Fox was one that I really enjoyed seeing develop as their time on the show continued. During the Clare Devine era back in 2007/ 2008, she was kidnapped by Clare who drove her to a quarry were she was saved by her boyfriend, Justin Burton and her brother, Warren. I know Katy was only on the show for a year, but so much happened for this character it was sad that she dead off screen in 2017 as I think the character could have come back as her brother is still in the village.

Sid Sumner (Billy Price) is a character I have really enjoyed seeing develop thanks to Billy's wonderful portrayal. Sid has been on one hell of a journey not all good, I have to admit. But when Sid's softer character is shown it's my favourite especially the scene for me between Sid, and Juliet at the beach the attention to detail within this scene was wonderful viewing. Sid has been involved in many tough storyline which the character started on our screens, but his the character left his lost due to a difficult situation he was in, viewers were allowed to see a different side of the character. Sid's friendship with Ste Hay has been one that has been wonderful to watch as he is also there for him in his time of needs especially recently. The dynamic between both Billy and Kieron Richardson has been wonderful to watch.

Cindy Cunningham (Steph Waring) and Mandy Richardson (Sarah Jayne Dunn) are two strong women, and are especially what Hollyoaks needs.

Cindy is a character that I loved watching, and develop of the past few years. When Hollyoaks Favourites aired last Summer showing Cindy giving birth to her daughter, Holly back in 1997 this was a time, I saw a vulnerability within the character that I actually enjoyed watching as you could see this scared person, instead of this loud character we see on our screens today - this is all down to Steph's amazing characterisation.

Mandy has been involved in many tough storylines raising awareness especially with a heart-breaking loss through her time on the show, and yes I am talking about the death of her daughter, Grace which I have to say were incredibly emotional scenes that saw some fantastic work from Sarah Jayne, and Nick Pickard. Over the past few weeks, viewers have seen Mandy do everything she can to protect her daughter, Ella from her downward spiral which ended in her daughter being arrested - she just wanted to be the best mother she could when it came to protecting her family. I have nothing but praise for Sarah Jayne in all she does within the shows because everything about her shows are wonderful.

Kim Butterfield (Daisy Wood-Davis) was a character, I absolutely loved and I everyone knows how much adore Daisy as an actress. The vulnerability within the character was something that drew me into the character in the first place despite this bubbly girl we all saw first arrive. Kim was the sister of Lindsey Butterfield who was revealed as the Gloved Hand Killer back in 2016, who in 2015 saw their 'secret sister' Kath arrive which then saw the reason for Kim's self destructive/ low self confidence behaviour shown. Kim's relationship with Esther Bloom made wonderfully sweet viewing as their journey was the sweetest. Kim's leaving storyline was interesting, but they didn't kill her off so I hope that she can return, would make for an interesting return storyline.

Summer Ranger (Rhiannon Clements) is one of my new favourites because she is determined to get justice for her father, Cormac as he was attacked. It's been really nice to see the character develop relationships with many of the villagers before her reason for being in the village was discovered. Summer is a cheeky character nowadays but one that as I reason to be. I am loving Summer's close friendship with Grace Black. Summer is one character, I can't wait to see what is next for!

Other characters I enjoy watching...
Cleo McQueen (Nadine Mulkerrin) is another character I have enjoyed seeing develop over the 6 years she has been on the show. Cleo when she first arrived as this sensible character who then saw her in this emotional storyline from childhood at the hands of her stepfather, however, in 2017 saw her collapse on her wedding day to Joel which saw her receive many nominations for the role.

Cher McQueen (Winters) (Bethannie Hare) arrived in the village looking for her father, Slyver in wonderful debut scenes on his vow renewal to Mercedes McQueen which saw him refuse to believe what Cher told him. Cher and Romeo Nightingale's relationship has been plain sailing as they were smitten from the moment that she arrived in the village. Cher is a young lady that many young people will be able relate with one way or another.

The McQueen family as a whole because there is something about this family that many people are able to relate with because let's be honest we all know someone who is one of those kind of characters.

Grace Black (Tammie Wall) is a character that every single show needs in my opinion, she adds so much dynamic to the show with her feistiness. Grace has been involved in many storylines that only makes the character even more interesting for me as a viewer. It's nice to see the nice side of Grace that we are seeing on our screens at the moment.

Verity Hutchinson (Eva O'Hara) is a character, I am very excited see the what's to come for her since her recent storylines. I love her relationship with her brother, Tony despite the issues. Verity is character that I can see so much coming from over the next few months. I have nothing but praise for Eva's portrayal.

Warren Fox, Sienna Fox, Mitzeee, and Maxine Minniver are another 4 characters I have loved watching.
Mitzeee (with three e's) was one of those characters, I grew up watching and really enjoying as there was something so magical about her energy. The characters development was something that saw me really love her, and her journey. Rachel Shenton is a sensational which you only have to look at since she has left the show, and has gone on to achieve so much!

I could be hear all day as I love all the Hollyoaks characters in different ways, however, I have to give a special mention to Erin Palmer, William Hall, and Ela May Demircan who always give everything in all their scenes over the years. Erin Palmer over the past few months you have been incredible it has been amazing to see you grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY