AN INTERVIEW WITH NORTHERN SOUVENIRS AS THEY RELEASE HER NEW SINGLE, MY PAGE AND MORE ABOUT THEIR MUSICAL JOURNEY

This week's interview is from British singer-songwriting duo, Northern Souvenirs who are made up of Lisa and Alex who are releasing this latest single, My Page this Friday (15th May).

Review of My Page is available for you to read here.


Photo Credit: Jakkrid Siripanich

Good Afternoon, Alex and Lisa. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me. I hope you are both well during this crazy time.
Thank you for having us Kellie - it's always lovely to chat with you! We're doing the best we can to stay safe and healthy. Music has definitely given us something to focus on and be thankful for.
Firstly, I would like you to introduce yourselves to our readers?​
We're Lisa and Alex, and we're British Country-Pop duo Northern Souvenirs.

How old were you were you decided to start writing your own songs? And when did you write and perform your first song?​
Lisa: I’ve always enjoyed writing lyrics and telling stories. When we were little, myself and my cousin Katie used to write all these crazy pop songs together - we still have the old notebook at my Grandad’s house!
Alex: Similarly, I remember writing some pretty awful songs as a teenager about heartache and love, which were all legitimate feelings at the time I'm sure, but let's just say I'm glad there isn't any evidence of those today. Well, I hope not anyway. But I performed the first song I can honestly say I'm proud of while at uni. It's a song called 'Alnmouth' about a little fishing town in Northumberland we visit as a family. It's about going home.

Where and when did you first perform any of yours songs and how old were you?
Alex: We met in the rainy town of Lancaster in the North West of England in 2011, whilst we were both studying at university, and we instantly bonded over music and performing. I started hosting an Open Mic Night at local bar Dalton Rooms, and we started playing a few covers together there. It gave us a great platform to find our sound in a supportive atmosphere. Open Mics are still, in my opinion, the best place to hone your craft as a performer or songwriter. Even during this period of lockdown, with pubs and bars closed, you can still find 'virtual' Open Mics online.
Lisa: During our time in Lancaster we realised we had a shared love of country music, with its real focus on storytelling. I began to pen lyrics, and Alex picked up his guitar and put music to the words. I was working at a lovely music shop at the time, called The Music Spot, and through working there we got our first gig as a song-writing duo at the 2013 Lancaster Music Festival, playing our own original songs.

What is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist (can be more than one)?
Alex: I grew up listening to the legendary Glen Campbell. My dad had his best-of records in the car, and I remember countless journeys to the soundtrack of 'Rhinestone Cowboy', 'Country Boy' and 'Galveston'. My favourite song of all-time is Jimmy Webb’s 'Wichita Lineman', made famous by Glen. "And I need you more than want you, And I want you for all-time"; is there a more beautiful lyric than that?
Lisa: My favourite country artist just so happens to be another member of the Campbell country dynasty, the fabulous Ashley Campbell. We saw her live a few years ago in London at The Borderline, and I fell in love! She's an endlessly talented and inspiring musician, songwriter and performer.

But, I'd like to think this question is even harder but I'm going to ask anyway what is the most inspirational song you have heard?
There are certainly a few which have inspired us as performers and songwriters. Patrick Davis’ 'Numbers' is a beautifully clever song lyrically, Mo Pitney’s 'Come Do A Little Life' is such an uplifting song about thankfulness and seizing the moment, and Brad Paisley’s 'Beat This Summer' really hits home for us, as we’ve been together almost 8 years and for half of that time we were long distance (at our furthest we were living 7 hours away!) and that song really sums it up. But if we had to choose one, it would have to be Darius Rucker's cover of 'Wagon Wheel'; it was the first country song we bonded over, and it inspired us to write country music together.

Now let's talk about your 2020 plans and your latest single

My next question is one that I am very intrigued to know personally, how look did it take you to write My Page?
Lisa: This song was really unusual, in that it was really quick to write. Often, I’ll have a hook or chorus rattling around in my head for a while, and a song will come together over time in pieces - I really like to let ideas "honeycomb". But with My Page the inspiration for the song just hit me, and I just picked up my notebook one afternoon and wrote the whole song from start to finish.

Did you always know that you wanted to release My Page as a single?
Alex: We sure did. Lyrically it's very inspiring and, while being very personal, I really feel it speaks to everyone. It's about breaking the mould, defying expectations, and overcoming barriers, through your own inner strength, but also through finding the person/people who bring out the best in you; your tribe. We really hope everyone can find a little bit of themselves in it.

Then, I have to ask you how was the recording for My Page?
Lisa: So much fun! We had a really brilliant producer and engineer, London and Bangkok based North Traiphob Sangkum. We knew as soon as we met him that he shared our vision and really understood our sound. We really wanted to create a 'live' feel, so the bones of the track, the two lead vocals and the guitar, were actually recorded simultaneously in the studio in one take, and then backing vocals and percussion were layered over the top. We wanted the sound to feel raw and energetic, and as close to a live gig as possible.
Oh, I love this. Can't wait to hear it.

Please tell me that the release of My Page means that we can expect a EP from you before 2020 is over?
Lisa: That’s absolutely our hope, but with the current climate we’re trying not to plan anything too definitely just yet. We recorded four original tracks in the studio with North last year, working alongside a group of super talented musicians, and My Page is the first of those to be released. We plan to follow up with another single, and hopefully the EP will follow later this year. You can keep up to date on our socials by following @nsouvenirsuk. Watch this space!

I love asking this question in our interviews but how would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Northern Souvenirs: This was really tough, so we decided to answer for each other.
Lisa, for Alex: Really great cook.
Alex, for Lisa: Wearing her food.

Then your music in 3 words?​
Lyrical, Reminiscent, and Feel-good.
What do you hope 2020 will bring for you as an artist?​
Alex: Definitely the release of more music, and getting out and gigging again later in the year once it's safe to do so. However, we do have a few virtual gigs lined up over the coming months, including with your wonderful self at Bring Country 2 UK, which is really cool! There are a lot of great online platforms, pubs and venues who are still creating opportunities for musicians and artists to perform during the pandemic, which is so important for performers and music-lovers alike.
Thank you so much for your time, Alex and Lisa.
Thank you so much for your time. Stay safe, Big love, Lisa & Alex.

You can follow Northern Souvenirs on their Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY