INTERVIEW WITH BETH BROOKFIELD ABOUT HER DEBUT SINGLE, THE JOURNEY AS WE GET TO KNOW HER!

This week's interview is with singer-songwriter, Beth Brookfield who is from the Isle of Wight. Beth released her debut single, The Journey last week.
I was kindly given the opportunity to talk to Beth about her debut single, and more as I got to know her.

Hello, Beth. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview.
How are you today?
Thank you for having me! I am really well thank you, I hope you are too.
That's good to hear. I am very well, thank you.

Before we can any further, can I please ask you to introduce yourselves to our readers?
Hi, I’m Beth Brookfield, a 17 year old singer-songwriter from the Isle of Wight in the UK. I love music that makes me feel something, that can be moving lyrics or a dreamy guitar riff.  I have loved music from a very young age, I remember singing in the playground to my friends when I was 4 ! I taught myself the ukulele when I was nine and then quickly moved onto learning guitar and piano so that I could accompany myself live and write songs.

How old were you were you decided to start writing your own songs? And when did you perform your first song?
I used to make up my own songs when I was little but I properly started writing at around the age of 14, I was really inspired to write songs as I loved listening and playing other people’s music so much, I loved the idea of people listening to my songs one day! It came really naturally to me and from then on I have loved songwriting. Similar to the songwriting, I used to sing as a little girl on holiday, at family parties or school shows. However, my first performance with just me and my guitar was in March 2019, I consider that my first performance as from that moment I have absolutely loved performing live.
What a journey it sounds like you have been on hearing all of this makes me think of all the hard work you have put in over the years.

This question is one I like asking all artists I interview, what is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist?
There are quite a few, but to narrow it down, I really like to play Shania Twain's You're Still The One and people always seem to love it so that makes me really happy. I love Need You Now by Lady A, again everybody loves it when I put it in a set and I listen to it on repeat sometimes, the slide guitar in the chorus is great!
Oh, what good choices. Fun fact for you, Shania Twain's You're Still The One was the one song that got me into country without even realising.

If you thought that question was hard try answering this, what is the most inspirational song you have heard?
That is so hard, there are hundreds of songs I have stored in my mind as the best songs of all time. Although, it sounds slightly cliché, I think my answer would have to be Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, I remember hearing it for the first time when I was little and just in awe! I am inspired by a new song everyday, I am inspired by the feeling a song gives me, not a specific genre or artist.

Now, can we talk about your music...

Now, I would like to start this part of the interview off by asking what have you been doing during quarantine?
In the first lockdown, I was playing and writing music all day, everyday, I spent my time recording covers for my YouTube channel ‘Beth Brookfield’ and for IGTV on Instagram. I am so grateful that I live somewhere surrounded by the sea. I love going on walks everyday, there is a beach less than 5 minutes from my house! This lockdown has given me time to really get prepared for the release of The Journey.
Your first lockdown summed up most country music artists, but having a wonderful beach to go to that isn't far from your house made have been a blessing. But, I am glad this lockdown has given you time to prepare for your debut single.

How have you found the use technology for zoom writes etc?
Everybody has had to adapt, having meetings on zoom and doing so much via email is just the new normal now! I miss playing live more than anything and seeing people at gigs. I did two interviews via live stream in lockdown which was a fun experience and I think social media is amazing, especially in times like these.
This is something, I agree 100% with this is the new normal for a little while longer anyway. Social media has been a godsend with allowing as all the opportunity to connect even more than normal in some cases.

Your debut single, The Journey was released last Friday, how was the release for you?
I was so excited yet nervous, I had butterflies in my stomach and I was counting down to midnight for everybody to hear it for the first time. It was like another birthday to be honest, all the love and amazing messages were overwhelming, I am so thankful. It really just confirmed even more that this is what I love to do and what I am most passionate about.
This makes me smile, you deserved this. The Journey is a beautiful song.

Was the reaction what you expected?
I was just expecting my family and close friends to listen to it haha. I hoped that people would like it and I am overwhelmed with the positive messages and that people are loving it. What has surprised me is seeing where my song has been listened to in the world, in just over 24 hours it has been listened to in the UK, Germany, United States, Netherlands, India, Malaysia and Sweden.
That's amazing for a debut single.

Could I please ask you to tell us a little about your debut single, The Journey?
Of course, I wrote the song a while ago and then at the latter end of 2019 started producing it with Hungry Hound Productions. The track was recorded at Skinny Mammoth Studios on the Isle of Wight. The Journey is about the progression of a relationship, starting with that initial star struck feeling and travels through all the emotions of falling in love. Every lyric means something to me and I hope people listening can relate to them, I love that music has the ability to bring back so many emotions. It is a blend of soft vocals, country inspired guitar and moving lyrics.

What inspired you to write The Journey? Is it based on personal experience?

Yes, the song is inspired by my relationship. The opening lyrics of the song ‘no I don’t know your name, or where you go’ are written about the first time seeing my boyfriend, George. We saw each other briefly when he was viewing the school I went to and we smiled at each other, I remember thinking ‘oh I wonder who he is’, it was another 6 months before he joined and we both remembered each other from that short encounter. In contrast to what you may think from the ending of the song, we are still together, I decided that the storyline would flow better if the relationship in the song ended.
I love this, and you are right ending it was the best choice for the song, but I am glad it hasn't! Personally, I was left thinking it's cliff hanger.

My next question is how look did it take for you to write and record The Journey?
I remember it not taking me very long at all to write it, maybe a few hours with just me and my acoustic guitar, when I write, it is almost like a snowball effect, I get so many ideas for lyrics and melody. I worked closely with Hungry Hound Productions for a few months on production, developing the electric guitar and getting the overall feel for what I envisioned. We were then in the studio for a day and half, recording everything and it was such a great experience.

Did you always plan on releasing The Journey as your debut single? Does it describe your musical style best?
I think in the back of my mind I always thought it would be, however, when I wrote it I could never have dreamed of being able to release music so soon. I remember playing it live at the gig in March 2019 and I had such a great response, people coming up to me afterwards, asking if they could buy the song, I was blown away to be honest! I think it really does capture me in a song, the lyrics are personal and it is a representation of the music I love to listen to, featuring sounds inspired by George Harrison, Fleetwood Mac and Rayland Baxter.

How would you sum up your single, The Journey in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check the single out?
Wow, number 1, a story, number 2, dreamy, number 3 moving. That is quite hard haha.
I love putting you on the spot, but great answers.

There is something so magical and heartfelt within the lyrics that I got so captivated by.
Thank you so much, that means a lot!

Thank you so much for your time today, Beth.
Thank you for having me.

You can follow Beth on here twitter and Instagram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY