DEBUT ALBUM REVIEW - SYKAMORE - PINTO

Today (Friday 12th August) will see Canadian country singer-songwriter, Sykamore release her debut album, Pinto.
Pinto is made up of 12 songs.


Pinto has a quirky yet funky instrumental to start which compliments Sykamore's crisp vocal right from the start. I like the direction of where the song is going, and the way in which Sykamore isn't afraid to show vulnerability. As I was listening to the song very closely, I had a little tear in my eye as it headed into the chorus which hit me as soon as I heard how much passion Sykamore has for the song - it shines through. The chorus features many heartfelt lyrics that sees the early days of Sykamore being showcased once again, the upbeat instrumental is perfectly timed. The second verse continues the message of Pinto beautifully especially heading back into the chorus. Sykamore is one incredibly special and unique artist. The upbeat instrumental ends the song in a beautifully fantastic way. What a way to open up this album!

Just 4 July starts with a mysterious sounding instrumental that I honestly think bought the song to live a little more, the more I heard it. The first verse sees Sykamore's crisp vocal at the forefront which in turn allowed for the lyrics to shine through, and build a picture up in the listeners head - Sykamore is a beautiful story teller. The chorus features upbeat and heartfelt lyrics that I caught myself tearing up over as the meaning of the song came to life thanks to the honesty and raw emotions that are being sung. I am very excited to hear this song live one day that is if Sykamore comes to the UK. The second verse of Just 4 July continues with even more honesty continuing the songs fabulous message. The relationship feelings that come out are so beautiful. The final verse sees a soft tone shown allowing for us listeners to hear another side to Sykamore ahead of the crisp tone returning for the final chorus bringing the song beautifully beautifully.

Dancing in the Dark starts with a crisp instrumental which for me I personally really enjoyed as it takes you on a journey right from the very start. The first verse sees Sykamore's soft vocal at the forefront allowing for the songs lyrics and storytelling to shine through in the most beautiful way. I love the nostalgic feel that I caught myself getting a little emotional over especially as the chorus kicked in. The chorus features some of the most stunning lyrics with this rather laid back feel to them which had me wanting to get up and dance thanks to the upbeat instrumental that kicks in. The second verse of Dancing in the Dark continues the beautiful storytelling in a gorgeous way and the way that the songs verses link fantastically to the chorus, I am loving it and the instrumental break up ahead of the bridge and final chorus was beautifully timed. The final chorus brings the song to beautiful end as Sykamore showcases another side of her vocal tone, I have nothing but praise for Sykamore releasing this song when I need a song like this!

Cheap Thrills has a slower sounding instrumental with a guitar. The first verse sees Sykamore's soft vocal with a catchier feel to the storytelling, leaving the listeners with this real sense of fun, and laid back vibes which complimented the song wonderfully. The chorus features some wonderfully beautifully fun lyrics that take the song to another dynamic that for me, I personally love as she get a real sense of who Sykamore is as an artist, and her style of music. The second verse of Cheap Thrills continues with the message within the song getting a little stronger with the story becoming even more obvious, and this is something I am loving hearing within this song. Cheap Thrills is one of my favourite songs thanks to it's slowness, but it's amazing storytelling. The final verse of Cheap Thrills sees Sykamore softer vocal at the forefront once again at the centre of the song as it heads into the final chorus ending the song fantastically.

Out of Luck has a beautiful piano instrumental that got me thinking right from the very off about how different the sound of this song was. The first verse sees Sykamore's crisp vocal at the forefront allowing for this vulnerable to shine through and being so open and honest within a song is so beautiful and one that many people listeners will be able to relate with, we need more artists like Sykamore. The chorus features many beautiful lyrics that I adore and caught myself listening to extremely closely. As the second verse comes in a different light of the song is bought to our ears which is very much appreciated. I adore the softer final chorus bringing this honesty to light once more, and the lyrics you can tell are told from Sykamore heart, and experience making them even more special.

Record High has a old school kind of country feel instrumental that I love as it is very different from what I expected. The verses showcased many different layers of Sykamore's vocal tone that for me was rather special and unique - this is something I love and why I enjoy supporting Sykamore as an artist. You can hear how much passionate Sykamore has for her song and it's writing. The chorus features lyrics that blend into every single verse wonderfully and in a way that left you thinking and in a few moments wanting more which I enjoyed. The second verse saw more of Sykamore's dreamy vocal range come through that saw me appreciate the lyrics a little more. The final verse was the one that I adored especially as Sykamore crisp and softer vocal followed creating the perfect blend.

California King starts with a beautiful guitar instrumental that instantly had me hooked. The first verse sees Sykamore's crisp vocal shine through right from the start with lyrics that are beautifully thought about and timed. There is something about Sykamore attention to detail with all the verses that make for these wonderful moments. The lyrics are ones that are rather dreamy and ones that will keep many of the listeners guessing. The second verse of California King continues with even more vulnerability showcasing another side of the songs meaning and songwriting at the forefront. The chorus ends the song beautifully bringing the song full circle.

Where To Find Me starts with a dreamy instrumental which is very different to what I was expecting based on the previous tracks. The first verse sees Sykamore's crisp vocal which allows for some beautiful tones to be shared with us listeners. The songs meaning is full of a lot of appreciation which is something we all need to hear every once in a while from a loved on. The chorus has many poignant lyrics that I caught myself listening to rather closely and at times being able to relate which was rather lovely as this is something I love being able to do in Sykamore's music. In the second verse Where To Find Me continues with this crisp yet soft vocal making the perfect blend with the mix of emotion as well as honesty giving you many unique moments within the song.

Go Easy On Me has an upbeat guitar instrumental to start that sets the tone for the song wonderfully, I really enjoyed the drumming instrumental as the song progresses. The first verse sees Sykamore's crisp vocal at the forefront which allows Sykamore's beautiful vocal range the opportunity to showcase the wonderful lyrics throughout adding this fantastic layer. The storytelling within the songwriting is something that really had me hooked, whilst also at the same time had me wanting to know more about the situation. Sykamore vocal range is incredible throughout Go Easy One Me. The chorus features many wonderfully catchy lyrics that had me wanting to sing along despite not 100% knowing the lyrics, which for me is something I find really special as these kind of sings have me feeling like I can relate to them. The more I heard the chorus the more, I was able to know the lyrics allowing me to sing confidentially to them. The second verse of Go Easy One Me continues with this wonderful instrumental getting a little louder with Sykamore vocal getting a bit more edgier which I absolutely loved as it added another layer to the song which was just beautiful. The lyrics were beautiful linking fantastically to the chorus which got me emotional. Ahead of the final chorus the instrumental break up was perfectly timed. The final chorus allowed Sykamore to showcase her super softer vocal which blew me around before repeating the chorus with her natural vocal. Go Easy On Me is one incredibly beautiful track.

Local Singles has a quirky and upbeat instrumental compared to the other songs on this album which I love as this track took me by shock (I know it's an old release but it's one I had never heard somehow).
The first verse is full of a lot of honesty that you can hear are based on Sykamore's personal experience - it's when artists wear their hearts on their sleeves that I gain so much respect for them like I have here with Sykamore and I didn't even think that was possible. The chorus is the perfect blend of honesty so the storytelling can continue as well as the funkiness that a chorus needs to be. Sykamore's vocal delivery is fantastic throughout with many tones being showcased allowing listeners to discover all the sides of this wonderful artist.

Stay Broke starts with an upbeat instrumental with many different instruments which opens the song up full of life. The first verse of Stay Broke sees Sykamore's soft, but soulful vocal range at the forefront which allows the listeners to get a real feel for what the song is about, and what kind of artist Sykamore is. The tone of Sykamore's vocals compliment the lyrics beautifully which this raw emotion that gets you thinking, and have your own interruption on the song. The chorus of Stay Broke is the most uplifting part of the song thanks to it's pure honesty, and heartfelt lyrics which give you so many feelings, and ways around how to process the lyrics whilst also having this power to get you thinking about how you can stay broke, but have everything in a way that really gets me. The second verse continues Stay Broke in such a way that blends the song together wonderfully with this verse being one about your own take on the situation, and being brave enough to be on your own which actually is something inspiring. The instrumental break up towards the end of Stay Broke was just perfectly timed as it headed in to the bridge which featured some of the songs most poignant lyrics. The final chorus of Stay Broke brought the song so perfectly together bringing it to a natural end.

Wallflower starts with a warm, soft guitar instrumental which is very different from the other songs which is fantastic. The first verse sees Sykamore's crisp softer tone at the forefront allowing for the lyrics and there beautiful meaning shine through - you can't help but listen extremely careful to the songs lyrics whilst building your own meaning for the lyrics. The chorus features some heartfelt lyrics that saw me get real emotional over - for me there is something about artists like Sykamore who aren't afraid to be themselves and share their lives (good or bad) with us so openly are the ones I adore. The second verse continues with even more gorgeous lyrics that continue the songs story beautifully. The final verse and the chorus bought Wallflower together so beautifully. Thank you for releasing such a beautiful song.

You can follow Sykamore on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY