EP REVIEW - CHARLOTTE YOUNG - COFFEE AND CONVERSATIONS

Next Monday (5th April) will see UK based singer-songwriter from Birmingham, Charlotte Young release her brand new EP, Coffee and Conversations.

About the EP, Charlotte says: “My second EP brings more tales, a collective of country themes that are familiar from the first record but more adult with each song. I wanted to showcase these songs as if they were conversations, a story to be told with each verse. Mixing together country feel and instruments, storytelling and a whole lot of heart, Coffee and Conversations captures me as an artist and hopefully makes you all feel like we’re having a coffee and a catch-up.”

Photo Credit: Scott Wesley

Remedy has a guitar instrumental giving off a soft sound. The first verse sees Charlotte's soft vocal at the forefront allowing the lyrics a stand out moment right from the start in a way that I couldn't help but enjoy listening too. The lyrics were perfectly chosen for the context of the single. The chorus of Remedy features many wonderful lyrics that had me listening to extremely closely that I adored as listeners hear this vulnerable side to who Charlotte is as an artist. The second verse of Remedy continues the message within the song wonderfully with even more vulnerability, and pureness within the style of Charlotte's vocal ability. The honesty within this verse is something I adore even more I listen to this song. The final verse of Remedy sees Charlotte's softer crisp vocals return with the most catchy lyrics leading to the final chorus of the song ending the song in the most beautiful way with her softer vocals.

On The Loose sees Charlotte's vocals opening the song with a little sing-song over a tannoy which quickly comes in with the first verse with upbeat instrumentals got me feeling rather excited. The first verse sees Charlotte's crisp vocals at the forefront with her upbeat tempo you get a real feel and sense for the single that I caught myself dancing along with. The lyrics appear to quite catchy getting the song this real upbeat tempo too, excited to hear this live already. I adore the rocker vibes this song gives off allowing this real under estimated power from Charlotte's vocals. The chorus of On The Loose features some of the most wonderful lyrics that get you thinking allowing Charlotte the opportunity to show off her softer vocal ability with the lyrics still being able to shine through. The second verse of On The Loose sees listeners get this real pure emotion from Charlotte that many people will enjoy hearing as it's of a little softer tone to her usual music style making for beautiful listening. The fact that the chorus blends into every part of the song incredibly well makes me smile. The instrumental break up ahead of the final chorus is beautiful bringing the song to another dynamic. The bridge of On The Loose sees many of its most poignant lyrics being repeated as the final chorus ends the song wonderfully. Even though this song was released a debut with fellow British singer-songwriter, Georgia Nevada Charlotte's full version is beautiful!

Praying For Rain starts with this warm and dreamy guitar instrumental which for me sums up the title amazingly. The first verse sees Charlotte's warm, and crisp vocals at the forefront of Praying For Rain which opens the song up beautifully with lyrics that get you thinking right from the very start, and in a way that is so inspiring reminding me very much of the 1990's/ 2000's nostalgia - sounds like it could have been a theme song. The chorus of Praying For Rain features some amazingly written lyrics that continue to build the song up wonderfully, and connects all 3 verses of the song fantastically together. There is something so magically about the lyrics in Praying For Rain that take you off into another world which for me as a listeners is something, I love to hear. The second verse of Praying For Rain continues with the instrumental complimenting Charlotte's a little higher vocal which shows Charlotte's another side of who she is as an artist, and I adore this show because Charlotte's higher vocal range is just amazing. The final verse of Praying For Rain is stunning in her higher vocal register as there is something so wonderful about this move from Charlotte that had me captivated all the way through the song, so thank you Charlotte. However, the moment Charlotte returns her softer vocals ahead of the final chorus of Praying For Rain - WOW!
 
Early Light has this upbeat instrumental which starts the song off with the road trip kind of vibe that I happen to rather enjoy. The first verse sees Charlotte's rockier vocals at the forefront that I have to say shows another side of who Charlotte is as an artist which I have to say is something I love to hear when discovering new artists. The lyrics are ones that many people will be able to catch themselves singing along with at things, I like how catchy they are. The chorus of Early Lights features it's most upbeat lyrics, and vocal from Charlotte that gives off this summer holiday kind of feel. The second verse of Early Light continues with the tempo of the song changing slowing down a little showing what a diverse artist, Charlotte is. The final verse sees Charlotte showcase the catchy side of the vocals, which I have to admit I caught myself singing along to at times. The chorus ended the song which bought the song full circle for me.

Whiplash (acoustic) starts with a guitar instrumental which gives you this wonderful feel for the way that the song is going to go and within the first line, I loved the tone of Charlotte throughout the song. The first verse allows Charlotte to show everyone her amazing soft vocal that allows the songwriting to come through. The message within Whiplash is one that I didn't expect by one that I loved hearing. There is something so magical about Charlotte's vocal range throughout the whole song especially the first verse into it's chorus. The chorus allows Charlotte's soulful vocal range to shine through with the catchiness of the lyrics. Charlotte's a little higher vocal range was wonderful ahead of it's lyrics being a little more  upbeat. The second verse of Whiplash continues the storytelling within the song wonderfully and I am in awe of Charlotte's voice on her debut single and I still can't believe this was only her debut single - Charlotte really suits the country music genre. The instrumental break down in the middle of Whiplash was just perfect and when the final chorus came in, I had goosebumps because Charlotte's vocal range changed which I didn't expect but it worked incredibly well.

You can follow Charlotte on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY