DEBUT ALBUM REVIEW - LAUREN HALL - BROKE MY HEART JUST ENOUGH

This Friday (9th April) will see up and coming US singer-songwriter, Lauren Hall release her debut album, Broke My Heart Just Enough.
Broke My Heart Just Enough is made up of 7 songs.

 Photo Taken by Ricky Hartzog
Graphics by Port City Media Co

Just Like I Knew starts with an upbeat guitar and drum instrumental which I have to admit brings in so much to the song despite not hearing Lauren's vocals until a little while later. The first verse of Just Like I Knew sees Lauren's soft vocals whilst showcasing her wonderful vocal tone which happens to allow the lyrics to come through beautifully the attention to detail is perfect. The chorus features some wonderfully catchy lyrics that I couldn't help but want to sing and dance along with despite not being able to do either. You can hear so much vulnerable from Lauren within the lyrics which for me is unique, and shows everyone who Lauren is as an artist. You can hear Lauren has written Just Like I Knew about a situation she has been in, and songs like this are magical. The second verse continues Just Like I Knew beautifully as in this verse you get to hear another side of her vocal range, and meaning of the lyrics being sung which continues this song incredibly! The instrumental break up ahead of the final chorus was a wonderful move from Lauren as it allowed the song a little time to breathe. Just Like I Knew ends with the chorus sees Lauren's extremely soft vocal tone at the forefront which is quickly taken back to her normal vocal range in a fantastic move.

Ain't Gonna Lie has an upbeat guitar instrumental which sets the tone of the song up properly. The first verse sees Lauren's soft crisp vocals at the forefront allowing the song-writing from Lauren to shine through giving the lyrics the opportunity to hear another side of who Lauren is as an artist something that I absolutely I loved it! The chorus has some of the most incredibly beautifully, and honest lyrics allowing the listeners of this single moments to feel like 'yeah, I've felt like that.' - songs that allow personal reflection for me are just beautiful. The second verse of Ain't Gonna Lie continues with Lauren's smooth vocal with the most honest lyrics, and how talking to the one you love is something that is wonderful, and makes you realise that you 'ain't gonna lie' to that special person. The guitar instrumental was just amazing in the middle. The final verse of Ain't Gonna Lie is the one that got me a little emotional as it headed into the final chorus that ended the song wonderfully.

Gone starts with an soft guitar instrumental which gives you a real feel for the song and it's angle once the first line of the song comes in. In the first verse of Gone listeners get to hear Lauren's softer vocal tone with a side of vulnerable within the song that allows you to listen to the song from the perspective of letting go of someone or a certain situation that has left you in a place of hurt or sorrow. The chorus sees the edgier rocker side of Lauren's vocal on the aspect of not giving in and being somebodies walk over. The lyrics are stunning allowing us the listeners to get a real feel for the song and the vocal tone from Lauren is very special instead without the chorus. The second verse continues Gone wonderfully allowing us the listeners to hear Lauren's soft vocals once again which allows Lauren's songwriting to shine through fantastically. One thing, I love about this verse especially is the fact that Lauren isn't afraid to write from the heart and slow it down to allow the listeners to get a real feel for the song - knowing the timings is everything. The electric guitar instrumental after the second verse was an amazing breakdown as it allowed time for the lyrics to settle before Lauren's a little softer and most poignant lyrics of the song were slowed down were for me was the most perfect timing. The final verse was the part of the song that made me think wow! - I was so emotional as I was listening because there is something within this song that a lot of us will be able to relate too!

Prove Me Wrong has a drum instrumental to start the song which ends up supporting Prove Me Wrong fantastically throughout. The first verse of Prove Me Wrong sees Lauren's soft vocals at the forefront allowing the lyrics to have there moment to shine which compliments Lauren's tone wonderfully with her heartfelt lyrics. The chorus features a different side of Lauren's vocals that I wasn't expecting thanks to the vulnerability that she gives off. The lyrics are super catchy, which I adored hearing - stuck in my head right now! The second verse of Prove Me Wrong continues with Lauren wearing her heart on her sleeve which gives this song a real personal feel to it. The storytelling behind this verse in Prove Me Wrong is beautifully stunning, Lauren is one hell of a special kind of artist! The electric guitar adds another wonderful layer to the song in the bridge of Prove Me Wrong ahead of the final chorus ending the song. Lauren's softer vocal tone ending the song brings Prove Me Wrong full circle!

If I Could has a soft instrumental from the guitar setting the tone of If I Could wonderfully. The first verse sees Lauren's soft vocal which compliments the song wonderfully right from the very first moment. The story behind the lyrics is just incredible, and one I caught myself relating a lot too, and my god it makes for emotional listening but one I am so grateful to hear within a song. The chorus of If I Could features some incredibly poignant lyrics that I cried over a few times as I was thinking - the attention to detail within this song for me is something that makes the song even more special than I could have every asked for! The second verse of If I Could continues about the other side of the situation, and allowing yourself to be on your own which is sometimes the best things which is exactly what Lauren is saying at the end of this verse, however, especially within the final verse in a much softer, and slower tone - incredible! The chorus of If I Could brings every single verse together in the most incredibly beautiful way making this song the perfect concert song thanks to the energy, and honesty combined with the softer side.

Thank You Very Much has a softer stripped back guitar instrumental compared to the previous releases of Lauren's which I personally think has her standing out from the crowd which is slowly joined by a more uptempo instrumental. The first verse of  Thank You Very Much sees Lauren's sassier vocals at the forefront which I adore hearing as you get this real sense of attitude from her that is so captivating I catch myself getting a little far too much into the lyrics taking me back to my childhood. There is something so magical about Lauren's sassy vocals that has me gripped. The chorus features some of the most brutal but honest lyrics that had me feeling a little emotional but also feeling very empowered - this is definitely the perfect blend of sass and honesty. The second verse continues with Lauren's more upbeat vocals whilst the sassiness is still coming out within the song which its just perfect, and the more it continues the more I just love it and can't wait to hear it live. The story within the lyrics are ones of pure brilliance, and based on a relatable experience for many of her listeners. The instrumental break up in the middle of Thank You Very Much is beautifully timed ahead of the final verse that brings the song together wonderfully especially as the song goes into the final chorus which brings the song together wonderfully.

Backwards starts with an guitar and drum instrumental which I have to admit, I am loving and it suits the song all the way through and in a way, if I am being honest I didn't think would. The first verse showcases who Lauren is as an artist with her soft vocals which compliment the lyrics in a way, I didn't think would, so I was moved right from the start. The lyrics are given there chance to shine through too, with the song in which they have been written and clearly been thought about very careful. The chorus of Backwards is the part of the song that I caught myself really getting to know who Lauren is as an artist and it's one a lot of people will love and being taken in by I'd like to hope in the most beautiful way. The lyrics showcase a real vulnerable side of Lauren, which I think is absolutely fantastic. Lauren's songwriting skills are incredibly moving and very relatable. The second verse continues Backwards wonderfully within the songwriting and the lyrics are just incredibly heartfelt allowing Lauren to show off her younger side and her life experience is something that is wonderfully blended within the song. Lauren's diverse vocal ranges are showcased Backwards in the most beautiful way throughout the song and the instrumental break up in the middle of the song was perfectly balanced. The final verse of Backwards was the part of the song which we got to see Lauren's real soft vocal range which I thought was incredibly moving. Backwards ends with the chorus which is the most perfect thing for the song as it cements the song together very beautifully.

You can follow Lauren on her Social Media​​​​
Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY