ALBUM REVIEW - JOSH TURNER - COUNTRY STATE OF MIND

This Friday (21st August) will see US multi-platinum selling singer-songwriter, Josh Turner release his brand new album, Country State of Mind.
Country State of Mind is made up of 12 tracks with 8 being duets.

I'm No Stranger To The Rain starts with a slow guitar instrumental. The first verse sees Josh's crisp vocal range demonstrated fantastically which allows the lyrics to have there moment to shine thanks to Josh's vocal range. The lyrics are ones that are just rolling off of Josh's tongue, and it allows you to get a real feel for the song which I happen to like a lot. The chorus features some wonderfully catchy lyrics which gives the song another level that I like, and I think other people listening will too. I love the purity in Josh's vocals throughout this song. The second verse continues I'm No Stranger To The Rain wonderfully with the meaningful lyrics, and all the lyrics link the song together beautifully. The instrumental ahead of the final chorus is stunning, and breaks the song up wonderfully giving so much dynamic to the song when it's needed.

I've Got It Made duet with John Anderson starts with a funky upbeat instrumental which I have to admit I wasn't expecting but I loved it as it left me wanting more from the song already. The first verse sees Josh's softer vocal demonstrated wonderfully as the lyrics are ones that just roll of Josh's tongue which I just happen to live. The chorus features some wonderfully catchy lyrics that you can't help but sing along with. Josh's vocal is just beautiful throughout which allows the lyrics to shine through naturally. The second verse sees John on the lead vocals for this verse which I have to admit was lovely to hear as we got to hear another vocal range that worked so well with the lyrics being sung. John's vocal give this real old school country that is amazing. I love the harmonies from John and Josh on the chorus as the song ends.

Why Me duet with Kris Kristofferson starts with a upbeat guitar instrumental that opens the song fantastically. The first verse sees Josh's darker vocals open this song wonderfully as it happens to give the song a lot of meaning thanks to it's darker but super meaningful lyrics. The chorus features some incredible lyrics that get you thinking about your life, and why certain situations have/ haven't happened in our lives. The instrumental ahead of the second verse was amazing as it continued with Josh's vocals as Kris came in with his beautifully soft vocal range which I have to admit, I loved especially their harmonies. The final verse into the final chorus of the song is just beautifully and it's all embedded into each other which I happen to like a lot. Kris and Josh's vocal blend together so wonderfully, this is one duet I wasn't expecting to be as good as it was so I am very grateful.

Country State of Mind duet with Chris Janson starts with an electric guitar instrumental. The first verse sees Josh open this song with his crispy vocal range with some fun and upbeat lyrics reminding me of summer. The lyrics are so fun, and upbeat as well as being very catchy - a proper summer feel of a song especially leading into the chorus which features some incredibly fun, happy lyrics throughout. I caught myself singing along with the chorus which I loved Chris Janson's vocals on. The second verse continues with Chris on lead vocals which I love as it happens to break the song up wonderfully with the catchy lyrics. I love the proper dancer feel with this song - I have no doubt this will be played before all the gigs we attend once Covid is over and gigs are on. The instrumental break up in the middle of the song is beautiful especially as it leads into the final verse of Country State of Mind. Josh and Chris's vocal blend together wonderfully well, one duet I never knew I needed to hear.

I Can Tell By The Way You Dance has a very funky, and upbeat instrumental to start which I have to admit I wasn't expecting but I happen to like a lot. The first verse sees Josh's softer vocal range return with it's meaningful lyrics that are written based on experience within his own life - songs like this are just magical, an super special. The chorus sees Josh having a really fun time with the lyrics, and gives off this proper dance feel. The instrumental ahead of the second verse is beautiful giving the song a little more life as the second verse continues the song beautifully being a proper dance anthem. I love the instrumental which ends the song as it's so natural and raw, but needed to bring the song to closure.

Alone and Foresaken duet with Allison Moorer has a very dark, and doomy start but from the title of the song what do you expect?! The guitar instrumental which followed was fantastic, and what guitar skills Josh has! The first verse sees Josh open the song with his darker vocal tone which I have to admit suits the song so brilliantly, I was like WOW 30 seconds in. The lyrics are very darker, but ones that deserve to be listened to super carefully. The chorus features some incredibly dark but meaningful lyrics that deserve there moment with just the instrumental. The second verse continues Alone and Foresaken brilliantly. The moment Allison came in with her vocals I was wowed because the dynamic between the pair is just incredible, and needed for this song. I adore the fact that the chorus ended Alone and Foresaken.

Forever and Ever, Amen duet with Randy Travis starts with a instrumental which I love which gives off a very country feel too, but I can't remember the instruments name. The first verse sees Josh take the lead vocals with his softer vocal which allows the lyrics there moment to shine right from the start. The lyrics are ones that will get you thinking throughout the song, and it's one hell of a journey thanks to the beautifully written lyrics. The chorus features some super beautiful, and emotional lyrics which you can tell have been written from the heart. The first time, I heard the lyrics I was singing along. The second verse continues Forever and Ever, Amen with an instrumental ahead of Josh's vocals continuing which I adored as the deeper vocals really suited this song. Randy and Josh's vocals together are purely beautiful especially in the final chorus which ended the song. I adored the country legend that is Randy Travis' vocal ending the song.

Midnight in Montgomery starts with an electric guitar instrumental which happens to give a proper country feel right from start to finish. The first verse sees Josh's darker vocals return once again that allows Josh's beautiful songwriting shine through in a way that I wasn't expecting, but I loved. The lyrics are one of pure meaning. The chorus features some wonderful proper country feel lyrics that I loved right from the start of me listening, and ones that I thought were very catchy and I hope others will too. The second verse continues Midnight in Montgomery in the most beautiful soft vocal tone from Josh which allowed the song to grow in one beautiful way where I was left speechless at times. The final verse of Midnight in Montgomery are ones that bring the song to it's made natural end alongside the chorus. Midnight in Montgomery is one incredibly special song. Josh's softer vocals which ends the song is just priceless.

Good' Ol Boy (theme song from the Duke of Hazards) starts with a funky and quirky electric guitar instrumental which I proper love as it brings back so many memories listening to this song. The first verse of Good' Ol Boy sees Josh's uptempo vocal range being demonstrated in a way I wasn't expecting despite knowing this song but I love it. The lyrics are very catchy, and I love Josh's take on the lyrics. The chorus features some very catchy lyrics whilst still remaining very upbeat thanks to the instrumental. The second verse of Good' Ol Boy continues with an instrumental before the vocals come in which blends very well with the chorus. This is one song, I am dancing about too as I am listening. The instrumental which ends the song is just so uplifting thanks to the electric guitar - a perfect theme song. Thank you for covering this song, Josh.

You Don't Seem To Miss Me with Runaway June starts with a drum and guitar instrumental that gets you ready for the song to begin. The first verse of You Don't Seem To Miss Me sees Josh take the lead vocals with his softer vocals with meaningful lyrics that open the song up wonderfully. You can hear such a personal connection to the lyrics which Josh is singing, and I love this so much. The chorus of You Don't Seem To Miss Me features some incredibly meaningful lyrics are The Runaway June ladies vocals come in with their beautiful soulful harmonies. The second verse continues with Josh on lead which is perfect for the lyrics alongside Runaway June's vocals coming in on the harmonies which adds a little more dynamic to the song. The final verse sees Runaway June, and Josh do this verse together with their harmonies being absolutely stunning bringing a lot to the song as it got me thinking thanks to the stunning vocals.

Desperately with Maddie and Tae starts with a guitar instrumental which is a little more upbeat which I just loved as it adds a lot to the song already. The first verse of Desperately  ees Josh start the song off with his softer vocal which allows the lyrics to come through beautifully. The moment the chorus comes in with Maddie and Tae on the vocals too the song is given a lot of life, and meaning which I just love. There is something so special about Maddie and Tae's vocals on this track. The second verse of Desperately sees Josh on the lead vocals with Maddie and Tae on the harmonies which are just stunning. I love the appreciation these two artists have for each other, and it's demonstrated very well on this track. I love the harmonies from Maddie and Tae, and Josh on the bridge as it is so powerful as it goes into the final chorus. The instrumental is just stunning throughout and compliments the vocals on this song wonderfully. The lyrics of Desperately are super catchy too, one song I am very excited about seeing live as soon as I can!

The Caretaker has a wary guitar instrumental to start which given the name of the song suits it a lot.
The first verse sees Josh' husky darker sounding vocal demonstrated right from the start allowing the lyrics of the song to be given there meaning to shine. The lyrics are ones that get your thinking about life. The chorus of The Caretaker follows the verses so beautifully that you don't even realise it is being sung which is wonderful to hear. The second and third verses both see Josh's vocals get a little darker but in a way that suits the lyrics fantastically as the lyrics are ones that you can't help but listen very carefully. The chorus ends The Caretaker with a little instrumental to end which brings the song to a wonderfully natural end.

You can follow Josh on his Social Media
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
YouTube
Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY