DEBUT ALBUM REVIEW - KYLIE MORGAN - MAKING IT UP AS I GO

Today (Friday 13th October) will see US newcomer singer-songwriter, Kylie Morgan release her debut album, Making It Up As I Go which is made up of 12 tracks which Kylie co-wrote on 10 with the other 2 being written solely by Kylie.

Making It Up As I Go sees Kylie's crisp vocal opening with a lot of honesty and vulnerability that I caught myself relating with a lot as someone who is turning 30 in a couple of weeks with the lyrics hitting a little differently. The chorus is filled with many lyrics that get you thinking and relating that once again everyone is on a different journey through life and that's OK as not everyone will feel the way you do about things. We have to do what makes us happy in those precious moments, we don't want to look back and have regrets because at the end of the day we only have one life and we should be living it whatever way makes us the happiest. The second verse is the part of the song that caught me getting rather emotional as it talks about turning 30 as well as those lyrics about still chasing my dreams even through you are struggling. The bridge is filled with many inspiring lyrics that make me want to continue to try and live this crazy dream of mine even if the knockbacks make you feel like you getting nowhere, however, I know if I stop I'll regret it further down the line, blended in with the final chorus I know I am making the best decision for myself in this moment of my life!

Class Rings sees an honest and vulnerability from the very beginning that showed a different side of who Kylie is as an artist, I am one I love! The honesty within the lyrics had me feeling rather sentimental as you could feel the life lessons that Kylie has learnt being shared in the most beautiful way. The second verse had a different kind of feel with the family moments you had growing up as you relive them as a grown up especially as a relationship changed you, but the final verse revealed how Kylie got her happy ending with this superb vocal tone bringing Class Rings to a great end.

Country Girl has an upbeat crisp vocal with the classic country girl style being shared even though everyone has their own definition off within a relationship or more. The chorus continues to be upbeat whilst containing many catchy lyrics with a rather special love story kind of vibe being showcased. There is something special about Country Girl's message as well as Kylie's tone and lyrical ability being shown in this most beautiful way leading to the chorus ending the song fabulously.

Sugar Daddy begins with an upbeat instrumental that supports the song brilliantly throughout.
The first verse sees Kylie celebrate the independence of being a strong individual who wants to support herself and work for your own money instead of relying on our people to buy you the things that you really want in life. I love the finer details within the lyrics as they make you sit up and listen especially when they involve our parents. The chorus is super catchy and supports the verses beautifully allowing for the strong person that Kylie has become shine through. Loving the empowerment. I have to say as I was listening to the lyrics is made me realise that thanks to my parents that I have a strong work ethic and that if I want anything I know that I have to work for it, and that its a privilege. The second verse continues with the grown up 'adulting' phase of working as we become more independent. There is something so about the soft chorus that is in the place of the third verse that makes for a fantastic moment especially ahead of the final chorus due to the catchiness of the chorus.

Ladies First begins with a soft instrumental. The honesty and reality within the first few lines hitting me as I myself am filled with self doubt a lot of the time. There is something so unique about the message within the songs lyrics about believing in yourself that broke me a few times everyone deserves to be respected - we as females are valid and need to start accepting this especially if we have been through hard times as it is hard after everything you have been through. Ladies First has a brilliant and extremely powerful message allowing for Kylie to show us listeners what a fantastic artist she is!

Happy Ever After Me has an upbeat guitar instrumental throughout supporting this beautiful story through the lyrics that start with a break up and develops into this wonderful happy ending despite all the struggles it has taken to get there. The chorus is one of two halves where you wish the other person the best, but also know that you deserve so much most including respect that they didn't show you. The second verse continued with that moment, you are ready to move on despite the struggles showcased in great lyrics. It was the mention of social media that got me thinking about the dangers it can have during a relationship as sometimes someone is trying to sabotage your relationship with things that aren't true allowing for another relationship to end. Everyone deserves their happy ending.


Bad Girlfriend has a many rocker edge which I personally love and reminded me of the reason why I loved Kylie's music in the first place. The lyrics throughout Bad Girlfriend are catchy ones and one that I have a feeling many will know and appreciate. The old school Kylie vibes bring her music full circle moment as it allows for the moral of the story to shine through with the bad girlfriend experiences she has faced herself making for a better life going forward. Kylie is great at taking listeners on a journey within her music. However, it was the electric guitar that bought the perfect break up moment to this fiery song.

A Few Hearts Ago sees Kylie's crisp vocal open with the lyrics that are filled with purity and you can hear much truth within the lyrics that make it even more special especially with the honesty within the second verse. The chorus features so much honesty and lessons that Kylie has learnt along the way making it even more special as the amount of vulnerability that shines through throughout is stunning. I find this song quite refreshing as Kylie isn't afraid to share her truth like many people are as people can think it's failure if a relationship doesn't work or last long, however, I think it's brave! The uplifting instrumental is beautifully put alongside the lyrics. It's OK to not meet the love of your life in the first man you date/ get together with - everything happens for a reason in life.

Quarter Life Crisis sees Kylie's soft crisp vocal at the forefront with a soft instrumental bringing a great blend to the song with lyrics that I have a feeling many people will be able to relate with especially with the honesty that hooked me right in allowing for many vulnerable moments. The chorus features many honest about being at these crossroads in life where we aren't old enough for something but at the same time being too old for it - it's a mix of messages. The second verse continues with these dreams we all have but struggle with those choices we have already made it's a mix of emotions. 

If He Wanted To He Would has a beautiful instrumental that supports Kylie's crisp soft vocal with lyrics that hit you instantly with the empowerment of the important lesson of self-worth and love of stop wasting for that certain person as if he really wanted to be there then he would. The chorus features many lyrics that get you thinking and realising that if he really wanted you then he would be there for you and if it doesn't then it is his loss. The lyrics are ones that you can sing along with filled with female empowerment. The second verse continues with even more of those moments that you think he is missing out one, when actually if he cared he would be there for you no matter what! WOW, the final verse broke me with the heartbreaking lyrics that are filled with even more honesty. Thank you, Kylie for writing such a brilliantly wonderful song that many of us young females are able to relate with.

Don't Stay Gone Too Long is a beautiful ballad about the phrases of life that also showcases Kylie's beautiful voice with such a poignant take making me super emotional many times. The verses are brilliantly written and linked together allowing for this heartfelt story to be shared with the first verse being the one about leaving and packing our things up, but how our mum's are always the emotional ones. The chorus is incredibly poignant with these incredibly touching moments that brought tears to my eyes - they remind me so much of my childhood. The second verse about love is beautiful and special it doesn't matter how long it takes or where you are as long as you are happy - it's ok if plans don't work out, and it's ok if it does. However it was the final verse and chorus that broke me as that was the part as I could relate to it reminding me of my Grandma's death, and how I felt the lyrics emotional here - I just hope that I am continuing to make her proud in all I do, and how she is the reason I haven't given up on my dream. The emotions Kylie has captured within the lyrics are fantastic.

Old Me brings with a soft instrumental complimenting Kylie's crisp sweet vocal tones perfectly as they feature a lot of honesty as well as some heartbreak making for some vulnerable listening as the song progressed hearing Kylie open up and share some of her life lessons. Wow, the second/ third verses are emotional in a way that hit me in the most unexpected way, but I am grateful for it. It was during the chorus that I caught myself getting emotional as some of the lyrics I was able to relate with that honestly hurt as it was the first time I realised myself to break down and accept everything that had happened over the past 12 months, but the last few weeks in particular teaching me many lessons that I look back on now and accept them!

You can follow Kylie on her Social Media
X
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY