INTERVIEW WITH EMILY DANIELS ABOUT HER DEBUT EP, WELCOME TO A HEARTACHE

Today (Friday 23rd July) will see US based singer-songwriter, Emily Daniels release her debut EP, Welcome To A Heartache.
Welcome To A Heartache is made up of 6 songs.

You can read my review of Welcome To A Heartache here.

Photo Credit: Mallory Holcomb

Hello, Emily. How are you?
I am fantastic, thank you for asking!
Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview with me, it's a pleasure as always to be talking to you once again.

How are you feeling about the release of your debut EP, Welcome To A Heartache out today?
I'm just so excited the music and the EP is out there for everyone to hear. I've been listening to these songs that last year and a half. I pray the tracks make it to the people who need to hear it - no matter what stage of love or heartache they're currently experiencing.

Tell us about the songs on the debut EP, Welcome To A Heartache and what people can expect to hear as it relates to “stories” and the music (tempos, production, instrumentation, etc.). The six songs are very different vocally and lyrically, how did you get the perfect blend and when did you feel like the songs were “complete.”
“WELCOME TO A HEARTACHE" is a collection of six songs; some listeners may already be familiar with as I released them as singles. I worked with two producers, Zach Manno and Mark Siegel to bring these songs to life. They sound different melodically and lyrically because they express different aspects of me as a person and as an artist. I've felt the sting of a heartache and know how vulnerable it leaves you but I've also been head-over-heels in love. (I just got engaged!) Writing these songs was therapeutic for me; I experienced each storyline first hand. Going in to the studio, I had some production ideas and reference sounds but I also really trusted my producers to do what they do best. I knew the song was “ready" when I wanted to blast it on repeat in my car! If I was that excited about it, then, I felt, it was done.
Love how you had so much trust in Zach and Mark to give the direction to the songs that you wanted it's amazing when you work with people like that.

I have to give you praise for getting so much emotion and personalization within your debut EP - how did you decide which 6 songs to include on the project?
These six songs really fit together to tell a full circle story of love and heartache from meeting someone and falling in love, to having your heart broken and picking up the pieces. It was actually pretty easy to select the songs because they each represent a different stage in a relationship; but they can stand alone as well.
This is something you have captured wonderfully, and something that many listeners will love hearing when they listen to this EP.

What inspired you to write Welcome To A Heartache?
I had gone through a bad breakup a few months prior, to writing the title track and it felt like a tune that I would have wanted to listen to during the initial heartache stage. While it was a song to my former self, it’s also a song dedicated to anyone going through a first big heartache and experiencing that pain that feels as if it will never end. I wanted to bring hope to what feels like a hopeless situation.
The fact that you wrote Welcome To A Heartache based on real life experiences is something special and wonderful as it will draw the audience in. The fact that you have also included hope in this EP, I am even more excited for people to hear this EP.

How long did it take for you to write this whole project? Did you write it song by song, or did you write them all in go?
We wrote the project song by song some I had written without realizing they would be filling the space perfectly on EP others we wrote because we knew something was missing. One of the songs was written in 2018 and another written in December 2020, so the writing process spans several years.
You have definitely been on a journey within the 6 tracks on this EP.

What was the recording process like for Welcome To A Heartache as I have a feeling it was recorded during restrictions being in place?
Some of the songs were recorded during Covid. We had musicians record their parts in their home studios opposed to having them come in to the studio and interact with each other. The process was a bit faster because they could all be recording their parts simultaneously and we didn't worry about schedule conflicts. There were also musicians who were able to be a part of the project who may not have otherwise been available pre-Covid because they're normally on tour. I felt lucky to have such talented musicians be a part of this EP.
How lucky are you to have worked with so many musicians you wouldn't have worked with - you were definitely very lucky.

How would you sum up your debut album, Welcome To A Heartache in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check the album out?
Love and Learn.
How beautifully summed up!

Thank you so much for your time, Emily. It's been a pleasure.
Thank YOU, Kellie! Always enjoy chatting with you!

You can follow Emily on her social media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY