INTERVIEW WITH ERIN KINSEY ABOUT HER LATEST EP OUT TODAY

This week's interview is with singer-songwriter, Erin Kinsey who today (Friday 11th October) releases her latest EP, and I caught up with her this week to discuss the current single as well as the EP.

Congratulations on the release of your latest single from the EP, Gettin' Away With It which happens to be the title track is out now, what has the reaction been like to the song?
People are seeming to really like the song! It’s definitely pretty rockin, and a little bit sassy, so it’s been fun to see girl’s using it as a hype song for themselves or their best friends!

How are you feeling about your brand-new EP being released today?
I am so excited for this project. I’ve never had a group of songs I’ve been more proud of. They feel like a mix of who I’ve been, who I am, and who I hope to be. If someone was to listen down too to bottom, they’d end up knowing me pretty dang well *smiles*

What was the songwriting process like along with the recording? How long did it take to complete? This project was recorded and mixed over the span of about 9 months, and the songs were all written in the last year of the project being released, besides “I Ain’t Crazy” and “Best Of My 20’s”! So these songs and the moments they represent are very real to me now, and it’s exciting to get to release music in the midst of going through a lot of it too!


How would you sum up each other songs?
Matchmaker - This is one of the sassiest songs on the project. It’s a little quirky, a little sarcastic, and 100% true. It was my first release off this project and truly shifted my mindset about this project and how honest I wanted to be with it.
I Ain't Crazy - This was the first song I wrote for this project. I walked into this write after suspecting my boyfriend was a little friendlier with a friend of mine than he led on to be. Even though I didn’t want to be right- this song sparked from the thought that I’d rather have my intuition be right than anything else. Even if that meant a reality I didn’t love. As long as I could trust my gut- I’d be fine.
Best of my 20's - This is one of the songs I am most proud of on this project. I wrote it with Josh Kerr and Sarah Buxton, and it was an idea that Kerr had been keeping for the right moment. And I’m so glad he brought it in the room with me. Also being able to have Trousdale singing on this song was such a fun surprise. I’ve been a big fan of them for a while, and to have them represent the fact that pretty much everyone learns things the hard way- and still over come and do incredible things afterwards- was really special.
Tabs on Me - This song is just a fun one about an ex that won’t stop asking about you. This was a song we intentionally wrote to try and round out the project a little with a fun light hearted kinda funny jam- and it’s just that. It’s probably my band’s favorite song to play live as well!
Gettin' Away With It - Even though this is the title track to the project, that is not the only reason it’s special to me. I wrote it after visiting my sister at her college and realizing that she really is “that girl”. Every boy wanted to date her, and every girl wanted to be her best friend. And as someone who knows her better than anyone- she really is an incredible human inside and out. My sister has been styling me on the road this whole year- and it’s been fun to put her into the music part a little as well!
Wild - This is another song I wrote intentionally for this project. I had a vision of the kind of dark/moody/sexy guitar parts I wanted to play, and then wanted to use the colorful lyrical writing style I had used in “matchmaker” and “I ain’t crazy” - but in a love song. I am so proud of the way this one turned out- and it’s probably my favorite song to play live haha!
Trouble - This is the only song on the project I didn’t write- and it’s my first “outside cut” as we say in Nashville. I’ve been a part of the songwriting community in town since I was 13 years old. I absolutely love writing music and telling my own stories- but I feel like as an artist, I have a responsibility to help the songs that were written without an artist in the room to get out into the world. When we were narrowing down songs for this project- I asked my team to look around town for songs that needed a home, and this one found its way to me! It has some of my favorite writers in town on it, and it’s no doubt an idea I wish I would have written myself. I’m so thankful that the writer’s have trusted me with getting it out into the world, and it’s quickly become one of my favorites on the project!
No Fences - I was so excited to end the project on this song. It’s one I wrote with Clara Park and 94Skrt, and it’s another one I came in with a clear vision for. Believe it or not, growing up in school I was always the quiet one in the background. I think it was a combination of having music as such an outlet at an early age, and being awkward and insecure as everyone is at that age haha. However, I remember what it felt like to move to Nashville and try to be what I thought everyone wanted me to be. What it felt like to be in a relationship that I felt like I couldn’t speak my mind it. What it felt like to tell people in my hometown about this dream of mine and them tell me it was awfully risky and follow up by asking about my backup plan. “No Fences” is my response to that. I don’t want to live a life wondering how far I could have run and how much I could have done. I want to live it.

Is there one song that is extra special?
One song that is a little extra special on the project is "Best Of My 20’s" A lot of this project is centered around things I’ve been through and learned from, but this song is about hope for how much is ahead of me. I truly believe the best is yet to come- and even though most of these songs are about things in the past, I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Can you sum up Gettin' Away With It in 3 words?
Honest, confident, and rockin.

With 2024 coming to a close what are the plans for the last few months of 2024?
I’m spending the rest of 2024 playing shows and on tour! I’m out with William Clark Green on his "Whole Lotta Lubbock" tour, and then I’m getting to take my full band over the pod to open up for Restless Road on the European leg of their "Last Rodeo" tour! I’ve never seen let alone get to ride on- a double decker tour bus, so my band and I are very excited to experience that!

Quick Fire Questions about your music

Easiest song to write? Matchmaker
Hardest song to write? Best of My 20’s
Favourite song you have ever written? This changes just about every day- but right now I’m really proud of a song I have called "Ruin Love For Me"
Favourite collab? Trousdale on "Best Of My 20’s" it’s the only collab I’ve released on my end so far! But I also got to sing on a song with Restless Road called "Most Nights" that is super fun to perform on tour with them

Finally, being UK based I have to say when can we expect you here in the UK?
I’ll be there for three weeks in December bouncing around with Restless Road!
Thank you very much for your time today, I really appreciate speaking with you!

You can follow Erin on her social media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ISABELLE SMITH TALKS ABOUT THE UPCOMING HOLLYOAKS EPISODES

HOLLYOAKS REVIEW - ISABELLE SMITH CAPTURES THE EMOTIONAL AND VULNERABLE SIDE OF FRANKIE BRILLIANTLY

HOLLYOAKS REVIEW - FRANKIE OPENED UP AS ISABELLE SMITH DELIVERS SOME EMOTIONAL SCENES