INTERVIEW WITH CANADIAN SINGER-SONGWRITER, SYKAMORE

Today, I am here with an interview I have wanted to do for so long and one that I was starting to think would never happen but somehow me and Sykamore have managed too.
Sykamore is country singer-songwriter from Carseland, Alberta, Canada.

Afternoon, Sykamore. Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity to interview you! You are literally making me extremely happy right now.
Of course! Happy to do it.
How are you?
I’m doing great! I’ve been back in Nashville for a few weeks now, I spent a month back in Canada with my family so that was really fun. Getting back to work is great for my brain though.
That's wonderful to hear. I am glad you got to go back to Canada to see your family.

Now to talk about your music, back in January Cheap Thrills was released as your first single of 2021 in Stay Broke - how was that release for you?
It all went really well! It was my first American release that didn’t seem to be in the shadow of Covid so that was really exciting, and we received a ton of great feedback on it.
Seeing the amount of people with wonderful feedback was something I loved through twitter. I am so glad it wasn't in the shadow because a first release is also special.

In February you released your next single of the year in Stay Broke - what was the reaction like to this single?
The reaction was great - it always excites me to get to showcase the different sides of my artistry and this was definitely one of those songs that demonstrated the variety within my music. So that was really fun to share.
It was a completely different side of what I was expecting, I remember listening to this song and thinking wow - what an artist, Sykamore is.

Then in March you released Go Easy On Me, the reaction to this single was wonderful to see on social media, how was this release for you?
Thank you! This song is quite special to me as I wrote it with Liz Rose who is one of my all-time favorite song-writing heroes. She is very skilled at writing vulnerable, relatable songs and I think that’s what we did with this tune. It got a very strong reaction from the fans and I think it’s because we can all relate to having a vulnerable moment where you feel kind of helpless and you’re asking your ex to just take it easy on you as you come to grips with reality. It’s a heavy subject but also very familiar.
I can't believe that, how did I not know that - Liz Rose what an incredible moment that must have been for you. I have to say the vulnerability within this song is something that had me emotional and knowing this about Liz, I am glad you wrote this song together.

Cheap Thrills, Stay Broke, and Go Easy On Me are all very different how did you come up with the ideas for these songs?
I always try to write from real life experiences I’ve had, or at the very least have been inspired by in my life. All three of these songs include feelings that I have personally felt and have longed to express at one time or another. Sometimes, I wait to bring certain ideas out until I am in a co-write that feels like a good fit, and that’s definitely been the case with these three songs. I wrote each of these with a different set of co-writers and I can hear their influence lyrically and sonically throughout the material, and it just feels like the puzzle pieces really fit together. Stay Broke was with my friend and co-writer Jason Massey, who really has a handle on that 80s pop sound, which is what I wanted to pursue with that song. Go Easy On Me was a song I saved to write with Liz, because I knew she has real strength writing from a vulnerable standpoint, and Cheap Thrills is fun and bright, on which I collaborated with Jaron Boyer and Ben Stennis, two co-writers who are easy going and funny and laid back, so it felt really natural to write about the cheap thrills in life with them.
For me artists that write on their own real life experiences are the artists that people will enjoy and appreciate. The way you have explained how all three songs come about, I am getting emotional once again.

I have to talk about lockdown and writing and releasing music, how did you find the experience? Did you learn anything new about yourself, and about the ways you work on your music?
I took a break from writing during most of the pandemic, but that had more to do with the fact that I had just finished about two straight years of writing and was planning on taking a break anyways. But I did release music during that time, and it taught me that we can always be stretched towards being more resourceful, more reflective, more collaborative as artists if we come together and help one another out.
You are such a determined young lady who is one hell of an incredible artist, you are inspirational.

I have noticed through your social media that you are back playing a few venues, how are you finding being back on the stage after lockdown?
Honestly it felt really great to get back on a stage. Rehearsing for the shows really made me excited, more excited than I thought I would be to just get out and connect with fans again. This summer I played my first American festivals ever and they were a total blast. In some ways it felt like nothing had changed but I think I was just that much more in the moment, that much more grateful, because now I know how quickly that stuff can be taken from you.
What a moment for you that made have been being able to play your first American festivals, I bet the energy was electric. A lot of people have said that lockdown has taught them to be a little more grateful due to that exact reason - you never know how long something will last.

Through lockdown have you learnt a lot more appreciation for all these opportunities you get to perform? Because I think I can speak for many of us fans, we definitely have and the UK has a different kind of buzz.
Yes I think you’re right that there is a different kind of buzz in the air – I think it’s people just bursting with excitement to be able to have a real life experience again. I think we all learned that some of our defining moments as humans come from experiences like concerts, gatherings, just being around other humans in real life! Who knew!
I personally think it's the fact that for so long we wasn't able too see performers live that now we are just so excited to be back watching our favourite artists. Lockdown has definitely changed the way we appreciate the opportunity to attend gigs.

Can we talk about your plans for the rest of the year and early 2022 - please tell me that we can expect a new EP or album?
I can’t give too much away at this present moment, but I will say that I have music finished and ready to be released - all I have to do is figure out when and how I want to roll it out *smiles* And that it will be as soon as possible, I promise!
This has me extremely excited because I know how amazing the new music is going to be. Once you have it figured out, you can count on me for support.

There is something so magically unique with your songs that instantly has me hooked.
Thank you, girl. I really appreciate your support. You’ve been such a champion of my music and I can’t say how much that means to me.
You've made me cry! Thank you for writing songs that I really need to hear to understand my own feelings.

Before, I let you go I have to ask would you ever like to come to the UK and perform for us fans?
I would LOVE that. Just gotta figure out how to make it happen, but I would love nothing more than to take my music across the pond and share it!
I would love this to happen for you, leave it with me, if I see any opportunities I'll be share to let you know.

Thank you so much for your time, Sykamore. I am very grateful. 
Thank YOU! Really appreciate you reaching out. Take care!
Speak again soon hopefully when new music is released.

You can follow Sykamore on Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY