*INTERVIEW* JESSICA SEVIER AND RYAN LANGDON TALK ABOUT THEIR UK DEBUT AT THE BRITISH COUNTRY MUSIC FESTIVAL
This week's interview is with Jessica Sevier, and Ryan Langdon who are set to perform at The British Country Music Festival in Blackpool on Friday 4th September as well as a co-headline tour.
Hello Jessica and Ryan, how are you?
Jessica: Hey, doing well! Super excited to be preparing for our UK tour; it's coming up fast!
Ryan: I'm doing great! I’m really excited. The UK tour has been something I've been looking forward to for a long time, and now that it's getting closer, the excitement is definitely starting to kick in. I can't wait to get over there, play some shows and meet some new fans.
Before we go any further, could I please ask you both to introduce yourself a little?
Jessica: I'm Jessica Sevier, a country artist from Toronto, Canada. I like to blend influences of rock, country, pop and Americana in my music, creating a sound that is uniquely me. I like to write music that tells a story and sometimes covers hard truths that need to be shared. If you need to cry, scream or find some motivation - I've got a song for you.
Ryan: I'm Ryan Langdon, a country artist and songwriter from Ontario, Canada. My music is rooted in country, but I’ve always loved having a bit of rock and a whole lot of energy in what I do. I'm a big believer in writing songs that people can have a good time to, sing along with, and hopefully see a little bit of themselves in. At the end of the day, I just want to make country music that feels authentic to me and hopefully brings people together.
You are set to arrive in the UK next month to perform at The British Country Music Festival, how are you feeling about performing?
Jessica: I am so excited! This will be my first time performing in the UK, so I am nervous but excited. I have heard lots of wonderful things about country music fans across the pond, so I am excited to engage with them and showcase my music to a new audience.
Ryan: I'm pumped! This will be my first time performing in the UK, so there's definitely some nerves, but mostly I’m just really excited. I've heard so many great things about the country music community over there, and I'm looking forward to bringing my show across the pond and seeing how the fans react to the music. It's a pretty cool feeling knowing that songs I wrote in Canada are going to be played for people in the UK.
Is there anything you can tease about your set?
Jessica: I don't want to reveal too much… but I will say that I have a killer all-female band coming with me to the BCMF! I will also be performing a super fun cover from a UK band that I am stoked about!
Ryan: I'll definitely be bringing a high-energy country show. There'll be plenty of songs people can sing along to, a few surprises and, of course, some good old-fashioned country music.
Whilst you are in the UK, you are both set to co-headline 4 dates, are you looking forward to performing for the British Country Music fans?
Jessica: I am really looking forward to these shows! The best part about these performances is that we will really get to engage with the fans. Since we're coming to some intimate rooms, it gives us a chance to go deeper into our songwriting stories and connect with the audience in a different way. It also gives us a chance to meet everyone in the audience and share a personal moment.
Ryan: Absolutely. I think that's one of the things I’m most excited about. Playing the bigger festival is going to be incredible, but the intimate co-headline shows are going to be really special because we can actually connect with the audience. I love telling the stories behind the songs and getting to meet people face to face, so I think those shows are going to create some pretty memorable moments.
Congratulations, Jessica, on your two CMA Ontario Awards - Songwriter of the Year and Breakthrough Artist of the Year - how was that evening for you?
Thank you! It was super unexpected and exciting. I have been working so hard for so long to try and make it in this industry, and to have some recognition for that hard work is extremely validating. I am truly grateful to have won these awards; it's very cool to watch your dreams become a reality.
On the day you take to the stage Jessica, your debut EP will be released how excited are you for everyone to hear this project? Is there anything you could tease about the project?
I cannot wait for everyone to hear this collection of songs. I have worked tirelessly on this EP over the last two years, and now it's finally coming out. This EP takes listeners through the journey of my early 20's. Navigating heartbreak, mental health and breaking free from a toxic relationship, but ultimately coming out the other side stronger and with a vengeance to live life unapologetically. This record is for all the badass chicks and all the men who've got a wild wild woman on their hips.
Now, Ryan I have to ask you about your sophomore album, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly that was released in July, how was that project for you?
It was a huge project for me and definitely a labour of love. I wanted this record to show all sides of who I am as an artist the good, the bad and the ugly and I think there's a little bit of everything on there. There are songs that are meant to make you crank the speakers and have a good time, but there are also some more personal moments. It's been amazing finally having the record out in the world and seeing people connect with the songs. I'm really proud of it, and I can’t wait to bring some of those songs to the UK.
This is a question for both of you - What's your favourite song to perform?
Jessica: All of my songs! I love performing, and any chance I get to share my music with an audience I will always give 100%. But I would say right now Wild Wild Woman. It's my favourite because it makes me feel so empowered and I can see how it resonates with the audience. It's not just a song for women - it's a song for anyone that needs it, anyone that needs a little confidence boost.
Ryan: That's a tough one because it can change depending on the night. But I am a huge fan of country anthems, so I'm going to have to say “Crushin’ Cans” or “Lit In The Sticks”.
Whilst you are in the UK, is there anything you are both hoping to squeeze into your busy performance schedule?
Jessica: Definitely a lot of sightseeing! I love exploring and seeing beautiful architecture, and I am so excited we will be visiting so many small towns that have their own unique charm! Any chance I have to explore and try new foods, I will take advantage of. I also really want to try authentic fish and chips! Ryan: Absolutely! I definitely want to see as much of the UK as we can while we're there. I'm a huge fan of history, and I'd love to explore some of the smaller towns and take in the scenery. And, obviously, I've got to get some authentic British fish and chips while I'm there.
Jessica, and Ryan thank you very much for your time.
You can follow Jessica on Instagram here.
You can follow Ryan on Instagram here.
Comments
Post a Comment