INTERVIEW WITH HANNAH DOROTHY AS WE GET TO KNOW HER AND TALK ABOUT HER MUSIC, AND WHAT'S TO COME

This week's interview is with British singer-songwriter, Hannah Dorothy who recently released her single, Never Again and I spoke to her about her musical journey.

Afternoon, Hannah. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me. I am very excited about getting to know you through this interview and talk about many things.
How are you today?

I'm doing great thanks and thank you for asking me to take part in this interview!

Firstly, I would like you to introduce yourselves to our readers?
Sure! I'm Hannah Dorothy, a country pop singer/ songwriter from Lincolnshire originally, but I'm now living in Devon.

How old were you were you decided to start writing your own songs? And when did you write and perform your first song?
I think I started out by writing poems when I was little and then really focused on lyrics when I was around 17. My mum always tells a story of how when I was around 3 years old, she would take me to the local shop in the village, I would sit on the counter and play and sing songs on my plastic yellow guitar - I had no idea how to play it! And I would sing for sweets! I genuinely do not remember this though so I'm not sure it counts?!
Love how writing poems bought you down this route in a way especially with knowing that the lyrics are the most important to you as they are to me too! How sweet were you performing for sweets, precious moments.

Where and when did you first perform any of yours songs and how old were you?
I never really thought I would ever perform my own songs, I would just write some and then play them for years just by myself in my room. I guess I never thought people would want to hear them. Then I had some friends visiting one night and after a few beers they saw my guitar and asked me to play something and I was super nervous but it was nice just to break the barrier and play in front of people. I still class that as my first mini concert!

What is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist?
This is such a hard question as there are so many! I think one of my favourite songs of last year was God's Country written by Hardy, Devin Dawson and Jordan Schmidt, just from a song writing point of view, it's so smart and incredibly well written.
I listen to many songs for the song writing too if I am honest to me its one of the most important things.
I have quite a few favourite country artists but I listened to a lot of Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and CCR growing up. Modern country artists, I listen to a lot of Chris Stapleton, Kelsea Ballerini, Lindsay Ell, Brantley Gilbert, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley and of course, The Hot Country Knights!

But, I'd also like to think this question is even harder but I'm going to ask anyway what is the most inspirational song you have heard?
There are too many to choose from! I think one song that always gives me the chills when I listen to it is George Strait - Amarillo By Morning or Kenny Rogers - The Gambler. The story telling in these songs is just second to none. I think one of my all time favourite songs is Bruce Springsteen - The River. I am a huge Springsteen fan and he is such an incredible songwriter.

Now, can we talk about your music...

I want to start this chat off by asking what have you been doing during quarantine? Been writing a lot of new material?
I did manage to do quite a bit of songwriting and it was nice to have the time to really work on some songs that I have wanted to write for a while. I tend to start off with a title or hook as an idea and write it in my notes, then I sit down and write a song around it. I am the master of writing a chorus or parts of a song, forgetting I have written it and then moving on to a different song! I have to always remind myself to finish a song once I've started it.
I always think that it's hard to finish a song in one go as every artist works so differently it's amazing to hear, but I think once you have the chorus you are kind of there.

In August, you released your single called Never Again - how did the song come about? And how was the release of the single?
I had the idea one day whilst I was just cleaning the house not the most glamourous!, and I actually wrote it in under an hour. I wasn't sure which song I wanted to keep for myself, as most songs I write to then pitch or send to other artists, but I couldn't part with this song!
Very special song then. I love it.

Could you please tell us a little about Never Again and how you would describe the song and what listeners can expect to hear?
The song follows the story of saying you will never get back with someone but somehow, you always end up together again. Each time, you say it won't happen again but then you find yourself back with them. It's actually not a slow song but quite an upbeat tempo and I think it's a song a lot of people can relate to!
I have to admit, you can definitely hear this within the song which I loved hearing and one I hope people will listen to and enjoy.

Why was the timing right for the release of Never Again?
I really wanted to share this one as I felt it was something that people could hear and think "yeah, I do that too". I really hope when people hear it, it makes them want to sing along and feel like they're not the only ones!
Songs like this are very special. So pleased you released this then, Hannah.

I love asking this question in our interviews but how would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Never. Stops. Talking!
Oh these three words sum me up perfectly too, should I be admitting this in this interview?

Then, I have to ask you to describe your music in 3 words?
Relatable story telling? (I hope!)
Oh, I love these words not the obvious which I like.

Finally, what do you hope 2020 will bring for you as an artist?
I just hope to write and release music that people enjoy, that's my main goal. It makes me so happy when people listen to my songs on instagram or facebook videos and comment that they like a certain line or it made them smile or that they can relate to it. I think for 2020, all I can ask for is that friends, family and fans stay safe and well and look out for one another.

Thank you so much for your time today, Hannah.
No problem at all Kellie. Thank you for taking the time out to interview me and for all you do in supporting country music in the UK!
It's an absolute honour, and thank you for appreciating all I do its wonderful to hear!


You can follow Hannah on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY