INTERVIEW WITH DANNY McMAHON ABOUT HIS 2019

This week's interview comes from Bristol based singer-songwriter, Danny McMahon who has had a fabulous 2019 with releasing brand new music, getting signed, performing on many wonderful shows throughout the year and going to many amazing countries to perform.

Good Evening, Danny. Thank you for agreeing to this interview with me about your 2019 and what a wonderful year it has been for you!

So, lets get straight into the questions, Danny. You started 2019 off by releasing your only EP of the year, Boys Cry Too back in April, could you please tell me a little back your experience of that releasing this EP and what the reaction was like?
It was the most honest group of songs I’ve put out to date, so I’ll be honest I was genuinely sacred about how people would react. I genuinely wore my heart on my sleeve and I just had to hope that people were gonna understand me as a person and I’m turn relate to the songs via their own subjective experiences.

This EP for me was so special and helped a lot of males within the country music genre to understand that it's ok to cry and is what made this EP was wonderful.
Thank you so much! I’m really glad you understood the message!

Then a couple of weeks ago, you released your latest single
Lonely, how was that experience for you? What was the song-writing process like for this song?
Lonely was great fun as a writing process. I do a lot of co-writing both here and in Nashville but this was like being a teenager again. I just sat on my sofa with a groove, and this song pretty much just wrote itself. Nothing fancy, nothing crazy just a cool groove and a fun melody! 

2019, has seen you performing a lot and getting yourself out there which made have been amazing for you?

It’s been probably the best year of my life when I look at the shows we’ve done! I love playing live and to play over 100 shows this year all over the UK, Europe and The States has genuinely been a dream come true.

In April, you performed in Plymouth for Country on the Coast, how was that experience because this festival looked fun?
It was the first show of festival season and it was great to be back out with the band again! I love playing with those boys wherever we are, but it was definitely the start of an amazing adventure.

In June, you performed in Sweden for the first time, what was visiting Sweden like for you and performing there?

Sweden was absolutely beautiful! I loved everything about it. I couldn’t believe how many people knew the music of I’m honest! I’d seen the Spotify numbers go up and up there and it was great to see those numbers in real life so to speak!

Back in August, BCMA saw you nominated for 3 BCMA's what was getting these nominations like for you?
Award nominations are always flattering because it’s recognition for what you’re doing as an artist and that’s a great feeling. I do feel though with the awards the winner is always British Country Music. We’re all pushing for the same thing at the end of the day, so if we can get there together then that’s an amazing achievement!

At the start of September saw the news that you were signed by Scarlet River Management, how was that for you? Because I know Rachel was independently managing you which was incredible (I have so much praise for you!)
Thank you so much. I’m so thrilled to be a part of the Scarlet River Family. I love the vision that everyone shares here and it’s exactly what I’ve set out to do from day one, so to have that embraced by a team of people is a special feeling. 
Rachel is a superb manager. She’s got an amazing approach and is incredibly tenacious.

Then weeks days later in September, you performed at the first British Country Music Festival in Blackpool, what was that experience like?
I’d say next to playing Nashville Nights this was my favourite show of the year. My dream for the way the music is created and produced was to play it in big venues with a great sound and that’s exactly what TBCMF allowed for! The venue was stunning and I just loved the way the music felt in that particular setting.

Throughout 2019 you have supported many wonderful artists including Southern Companion, Elliott Joseph, Lockeland, and Jesse Kinch how were these shows for you?

I’ve met some amazing guys through these support shows. The guys in Lockeland were absolutely lovely, so much so we ended up writing a song together in Nashville which I’m really excited about.

And before, I let you know I have to ask what are your plans for the rest of December? And what are you doing for Christmas?
I’m gonna have Christmas Day at home with Rachel and I’m gonna enjoy being normal for once 😂! Then I’ll head down to visit my family in Cornwall which will allow me to recharge my batteries for the New Year.

Now this really is my final question for you, what is the one thing you are hoping to get out of 2020?

Connect with as many people as possible! I’m excited to play in Germany for the first time. I’d also love to get back to the States as people respond to the music so well out there.
Thank you so much for your time, Danny. I very much appreciate it. Here's to 2020!

You can follow Danny on his Social Media
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY