*INTERVIEW* KIER TALKS ABOUT HER LATEST SINGLE, TWENTY SOMETHING

This week's interview is with singer-songwriter, Kier who today (Friday 25th September) has released her latest single, Twenty Something. 

Hello Kier, How are you feeling following today's release of Twenty Something?
Excited, nervous, but in the best kind of way. It feels like things are really moving now, which is such a nice feeling. I've been sitting on this song for a while, so finally having it out in the world is a bit surreal!

As you maybe new to some of our readers, could I please ask you to introduce yourself?
Of course! I'm KIER, a South Yorkshire-based singer-songwriter. I like most things creative, I'm awful with numbers and I love rubbish jokes. Music-wise, I've always been rooted in storytelling, but lately I've been leaning much more into the singer-songwriter/pop world.

Could you please tell us a little about Twenty Something?
It's basically about all the weird little lessons, contradictions and realisations that come with being in your twenties. I think anyone currently going through them will find something they relate to, and anyone who's already survived them will probably listen and think, “Yeah… turns out that’s just life!”

What made you feel like now was the perfect time to release Twenty Something?
I guess there's no better time than now! I recently turned 26, so I'm right in the middle of everything I'm writing about. It felt like the right song for where I am personally and also where my music is heading.

When speaking about the process for Twenty Something, Kier said This was actually one of the unusual ones because I wrote it completely in chronological order: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle eight, chorus. The idea came to me pretty much all at once, then I made a few tweaks before I felt like I'd properly landed on the final version. Before continuing I took it into Spiritual Records in Camden, where producer Jack Trouble started working his magic on it, before finishing it off with Wayne Proctor. We got the final vocals down, worked through the arrangement and brought everything together into what you hear now. I absolutely love the energy the song has.

Thank you for all your teasers for Twenty Something via your instagram, it's one song that I can feel myself relating with, and for an artist to be authentically themselves when writing a song like this, I have nothing but praise.
That means a lot, thank you so much. It's really important to me that the honesty comes across. I'd much rather write something that feels real and have somebody hear it and think, “Oh God, me too,” than try to make everything sound perfect.

Twenty Something talks about the lessons your 20's have taught you, what would you say the biggest thing you've learnt is/ was?
That you don't need to impress everyone. You're not going to be for everyone, and that's completely fine. I think life gets a lot easier when you stop trying to please everybody and let the right people and the right energy find you instead.

Your twenties really do teach you to appreciate the little things right?
Definitely. I think at the beginning of your twenties you're focused on all the big things: independence, careers, relationships, moving out, figuring out what you're actually doing with your life. Then life gets busier and suddenly it's the little things you appreciate most, like finding time to see your friends and family, having a completely empty day or even getting a full night’s sleep!


Here are a few quick fire questions

What was the easiest and hardest part of Twenty Something to write? The song in general came quite easily, but weirdly the hardest part was the middle eight because I kept forgetting which numbers I'd already included and what order I was supposed to sing them in… Turns out writing a song involving numbers was a terrible idea for someone who's already admitted they’re awful with them. 

Did you the chorus or the verses first? Verse first, then chorus, then verse, then chorus. Very organised of me for once!

How would you describe Twenty Something in one word? Chaotic.

With us only having 3 months of 2026 left, what are your plans for the rest of the year? The Worst Kept Secret Tour starts on 1st October, which I'm really excited about. That's 5 dates across the UK in October. This tour is a spin on a classic Nashville style writers round. Joining me will be two of my besties - Rhiannon Paige and Georgia Nevada. There may also be another single incoming, and there are definitely plenty more gigs still to be announced. So I'm not slowing down just yet!

Thank you very much for your time, Kier, it's been lovely to speak with you.
Thank you so much for having me and for such thoughtful questions. Thank you for supporting Twenty Something, it genuinely means a lot!

You can follow Kier on instagram here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEXT WEEK ON EMMERDALE: AARON WORRIES THAT ROBERT'S HAD A BREAKDOWN AS JOHN'S ASHES ARRIVE

*OPINION* ARE ROBERT AND AARON ON THEIR WAY BACK TO ONE ANOTHER?

*OPINION* WHY ROBERT AND AARON'S PROPOSAL ON CORRIEDALE WAS BRILLIANTLY TIMED