INTERVIEW WITH MACKENZIE PORTER AS SHE RELEASES NOBODY'S BORN WITH A BROKEN HEART

This week's interview is with Canadian singer-songwriter, MacKenzie Porter who released her debut full-length album called Nobody's Born With A Broken Heart last Friday (26th April), and I caught up with her to discuss the album.

Hello MacKenzie, Congratulations on the album, before I go into that I have to ask with you having played London last year, how did you find it?
“It was such a fun experience. I can’t wait to come back! The audiences there are so invested and in it with you. The second you’ll have me back, I’m coming back to London!”

You have just released your debut album, how did the songs for the album come about?
“It came from me being in writer’s rooms and writing my story, and also from having some of my friends send me songs that they’ve written. It’s been a whole 3 or 4 years in the making, so this record is the songs that I feel the most connected to.”

The 19 songs chosen take you on a journey was this the aim of Nobody's Born With A Broken Heart?
“Totally! I want people to go through and feel all the feelings when they’re listening down the track list. Love, heartbreak, and a little sassy. I wanted to have songs that people can go out and party to, and songs where people drive in their car and maybe feel sad or feel healed by them.”

Photo Courtesy of Big Loud Records

How did you decide on the title of this project?
“Nobody’s Born With A Broken Heart is one of the songs on the record, and it’s the most autobiographical song and tells my story to the fullest. So that was a title I kept coming back to. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, it took on a whole new meaning. My daughter will be born so sweet and innocent and pure, and then she’s going to go through life and heartbreak and disappointments, and her little heart is going to get some scars on it too. To me that’s evidence you really went for it in life and lived to the fullest.”

What was the songwriting process like for the album? How long did it take to complete?
“It was really years in the making. It spans four or five years of songs. At first, I wasn’t specifically writing for the project, but once we started picking our favorites, I went back in to specifically write songs to fill in the parts of my story that weren’t told yet.”

Just out of curiosity how long did Nobody's Born With A Broken Heart take to record?
“We started recording it in February of 2023 and it wasn’t finished until October.”

Your album is filled with a lot of emotion was this the idea behind the album?
“Yes! I’m a pretty emotional person. Things hit me hard. It may not seem like it, and on the outside it may look like I have it all together, but the people who know me best know I’m very emotional. To me, music always needs to be emotional. Those are the songs I want to play over and over again, those are the ones that are healing to me. I want people to feel that when they listen to my music too.”

Do you find it easier to write heartbreak songs or the happier moments?
“Definitely heartbreak. For me, I can go back to those moments and live them again. It’s easier to put that into words for me than the love stuff. We have moments of love on the record too, but I definitely find it easier to write the heartbreak songs.”

How do you describe Nobody's Born With A Broken Heart in 3 words?
“Honest, wooden, and young.”

2024 will bring you your biggest challenge, how are you feeling about it?
“Putting out a record and having a baby at the same time, up until we decided to do it, would not have been my plan. But I will say that I would not change it now. I’ve already had to turn down opportunities because it’s when I’m giving birth, but every moment will be so much sweeter when I get to do this while also having a daughter! When she gets older, I want her to see her mom working her butt off.”

Quick-fire question time...

Favourite song on the album? “It’s hard to pick a favorite, but right now I’d probably say ‘Pay Me Back In Change.’ I’ve been playing it out a lot and have been able to see people react to it. It’s written so thoughtfully and crafted so perfectly, and it’s an experience I’ve felt in many relationships. I think it’s a really beautiful song.”

Favourite song you wrote on the album? “I have different ones for different reasons. 'Confession' I absolutely love, but also ‘Rough Ride For A Cowboy’ is so fun to play live. So when I’m touring, that’s my favorite song because we add this extra fiddle solo and it’s kinda a bad ass moment on stage.”

Easiest song you wrote of the album? “Honestly, ‘Nobody’s Born With A Broken Heart’ was the easiest to write because it’s my story. It’s an honest, autobiographical song, so I just pulled from my story and put it into a melody.”

Do you mostly write the chorus first or did you write the hook first? “I try to always come up with the hook first. But it really depends, every session is different. But I would say 90% of the time we have a hook or a title we are writing towards.”

Happy or sad songs? “I prefer to listen to sad songs. I think I am just emo. Of course, I love a good love song, but the songs I’m listening to in the car, even when I’m very happy, are depressing and I sing at the top of my lungs. Sometimes you just want to feel sad!”

Thank you very much for your time, MacKenzie. I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity!

You can follow MacKenzie on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY