INTERVIEW WITH JANELLE ARTHUR ABOUT HER LATEST SINGLE, HAND ME DOWNS

I can't believe that I am sharing this interview as it's from an artist, I have always wanted to feature and today it becomes a reality! The interview is from US singer-songwriter, Janelle Arthur who recently released her latest single, Hand Me Downs featuring the Queen of Country Music, Dolly Parton.

Photo Credit: Jordan Hunter

Morning, Janelle. How are you today?
I'm great, how are you?
That's good to hear, I am very well thank you. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me. It's been wonderful to finally be talking to you having been a fan of you since your time on American Idol back in 2012.
Before we go any further, please can I ask you to introduce yourselves to our readers?​
My name is Janelle Arthur. I am a singer-songwriter. I am from East Tennessee and now I live just outside Nashville.

I have to ask about your time on American Idol if I may - what was your time on the show like? What one lesson did you take away from the show?
It was the most gruelling but most rewarding experience I have ever had. It was a very hard schedule with a lot of pressure, but it was worth it. It has continued to open doors for me to this day and I am grateful for the experience. The lesson I learned was just how much I can perform under stress and pressure.
I can't tell you how grateful I am to hear this having been a fan of the show since I was a young girl seems like that really care and look after their contestants. I am so glad you had the best experience, and that it still continues to this day to help develop your career.

What is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist (can be more than one)?
I don’t have a favorite country song or favorite artist; there are many that I love. I have been inspired by artists like Vince Gill, Dolly Parton, Shania Twain, and several others that I grew up listening to in the 90’s.
This is always a tough question that I love to ask as it gets you thinking, but I love how you were inspired by so many artists - Shania Twain what an artist!

But, I'd like to think this question is even harder but I'm going to ask anyway what is the most inspirational song you have heard?
"Jesus Friend of Sinners" by Casting Crowns is the most inspiring song I’ve ever heard.
That's one song, I have never heard off I am off to have have a listen.

2020 was a weird year for us all with the pandemic, what did you learn about yourself?​ Did you manage to write a long of songs?
I learned what was most important to me which is family and relationships. I also learned that we put too much emphasis on what doesn’t really matter at the end of the day. I was able to write several songs and even write some songs by myself in 2020.
It's taught us the most valuable lesson and you have summed it up wonderfully it's all about our families, and slowing down spending precious time with them. I'm rather pleased to hear that you managed to write several songs - I am one very excited person amongst hearing this news.

In August last year you released Chasing Ghosts how did you find releasing a song in a pandemic?
Releasing a song while the world was shut down was strange, but I felt like it was important to release music during a time when people needed to hear it.
I couldn't agree with you anymore if I tried - people have needed music even more recently and artists continuing to release music has helped so many of us listeners including myself.

Did you get the opportunity to perform Chasing Ghosts last year at all?
I did get to perform Chasing Ghosts several times last year during the Pandemic. Fortunately, I was able to sing it at some writers nights around town as well as a “Back Porch Tour” that myself and fellow artist put together last Fall. We would literally take our show to various homes in the mid-west and southeast parts of the US and perform for small groups of people outside in their backyard. This was really fun and it was very well received as people were craving “live” music.
I am happy you performed Chasing Ghosts prior to lockdown. These backyards sessions seem like such a wonderful idea allowing everyone to enjoy live music, I am glad you enjoyed them.

Now we have to talk about your latest single, Hand Me Downs which features the wonderful Queen of Country Music, Dolly Parton - I have to ask you how did this come about?
While I was on American Idol, Dolly reached out to me to show her support and that gave me confidence that she still remembered me from when I portrayed her as a child in a production about her life called "Paradise Road." After I wrote "Hand Me Downs” with Emily Lynch, I realized that this song was something that I thought Dolly could relate to as it talks about being proud of who you are, where you have come from, and the family traits that have been passed on from your heritage. So, I decided that I wanted to try and get this song to Dolly; if for nothing else but for her to hear it. Of course I thought, how am I going to get this song to her?  Then I remembered that a guy that I worked with in “Paradise Road” Steve Summers works with Dolly Parton Enterprises. So, I reached out to Steve and her played it for her. She told Steve to call me and told him to ask “what I wanted her to do; she’d be happy to sing on it.” I sent her the song and now we have a duet. I couldn’t be more thankful than to have her singing on this record with me.
WOW! What a story - this is one of those moments if you can dream it, you can achieve it! - This is testament to that, I am so proud of you for reaching out and achieving your dream of working with the Queen of Country Music. I am super emotional listening you telling this story - what a moment!

Did you write Hand Me Downs, if so can you tell us a little about the song?
“Hand Me Downs” is a very special song to me for many reasons. One of the main reasons is that the heartbeat that you hear throughout the song is the actual sound of my mother’s heartbeat. Another reason it’s special to me is because I brought in some of my family to sing in the choir portion of the song. And of course having Dolly with me on it is a dream come true.
Oh wow what a sweet sentiment to have throughout the song giving such a wonderful feel. I love what a family person you are thanks to all the little homely things you have given to Hand Me Downs.

How was the recording process like? Did you and Dolly Parton record together or was it recorded individually at your home studios?
We recorded the song separately in different studios.
You would never know this from the production of the song brilliantly recorded and put together. There is something so magical about Hand Me Downs. The emotions are spot on, and ones I got myself relating to many times.

How would you sum up your single, Hand Me Downs in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check it out?
Nostalgic, meaningful, and country.
The more, I listen to Hand Me Downs as I did as I was writing this interview up the more special, I discover the song is, so thank you! What the perfect three words to describe the song.

And, before I let you go I have to ask with you not being from the UK, I have to ask could we expect to see you over here one day obviously when it's safe to do so?​
Yes, I would love to perform in the UK sooner than later. Just let me know when and where.
I will be the first in line if this happens. Bring on the tours post lockdown.

Thank you so much for your time, Janelle. I am very grateful for your time.
Thank you for the opportunity. I’d love to do this again sometime.
I would absolutely love to do this again sometime with you, this has been wonderful.

You can follow Janelle on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY