AN INTERVIEW WITH KELSEY BOVEY AS WE SPEAK ABOUT HER DEBUT SINGLE, DEFINE ME AND ABOUT HER MUSICAL JOURNEY

This week's interview is from British Country Music singer-songwriter, Kelsey Bovey.
Kelsey also recently released her debut single, Define Me.

KELSEY IS TAKING OVER OUR INSTAGRAM TOMORROW @ 6PM.

Good Evening, Kelsey. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me. I hope you are well.
Firstly, I would like you to introduce yourselves to our readers?​
Hey everyone, My name is Kelsey Bovey and I am a Country/Pop Artist based in Bristol. I like to use my platform and my songwriting to influence the lives of young people through my own personal experiences. I hope to help others going through similar things I did as these are common issues these days.

How old were you were you decided to start writing your own songs?
I think I was about 10 years old. I learned to play piano at the age of 8 in hope that I could create music that would give others the same connection it gave me. At that age I didn’t know the unspoken rules of songwriting and the best ways to connect with others emotionally so I guess as most things do it started as a hobby until I was 15 and hit the real world finding ways to help me through life.

And when did you write and perform your first song?​
As a 10 year old writing songs for what started as a hobby about boys my age, there aren’t some great ones but everyone starts somewhere! The first song I remember writing was called Your Wish Will Come True and I was writing the song as if I was a fairy going round helping others achieve their dreams which I guess is a good place to start. The first song that I wrote ‘professionally’ was Lady in Red. Coming from a different emotion to when I usually write songs definitely changed the scene as I was in a time of heartbreak (2 days after the break-up to be exact if anyone's interested haha) and it definitely gained authenticity as a result and feel this paved the way for my style of songwriting.

When I started learning piano, I joined Bakerlou Music School which was a good way to start me off into this world of gigs and getting used to that kind of atmosphere. Every year, as a school, we would prepare something for the Keynsham Music Festival along with solos. This helped me gain a lot of confidence as it felt like a taster into what I do these days with my own music. This started when I was 13 which I think was a great age for me to start navigating the music industry and has paid off with the knowledge I have today. Definitely a great place to go if you wish to start out in music!

Where and when did you first perform any of yours songs and how old were you?
I was 15 when I performed my first original song at Keynsham Music Festival in 2017. It was so surreal to see something that you’ve created at a time of distress in your bedroom could turn out to give you so many incredible opportunities and give you so much joy. Performing a song that you’ve written about a difficult time and having people take the time to listen to the stories behind them is unexplainable.

What is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist (can be more than one)?
Tough question. I think I’m going to have to go for Seaforth Love That at the moment as it is on-repeat and has been for a while! The feel and groove of the chorus is so feel-good and when that push hits the end of the chorus just gives me such excitement in my music nerd brain! As far as artists go Sam Hunt is a strong one. His new album that just dropped is incredible and has a great mix of emotions and has such bops haha! His songwriting is great and it was really interesting to watch his Enhanced Album in which you can tell how intellectual he is about what he does and how much he loves music.

But, I'd like to think this question is even harder but I'm going to ask anyway what is the most inspirational song you have heard?
The most inspirational song for me as a songwriter was Taylor Swift Red. The song I feel is really cleverly written especially the way she used colours to express the emotions and memories explored. The drive in the chorus with the driven straight backbeat really gives it some guts. I feel it’s a great driving song, have the windows down in summer and listen to great music!

I love asking this question in our interviews but how would you describe yourself in 3 words?
FUNNY, QUIRKY, and OPTIMISTIC.
I think I’d say I’m an optimist girl and have always worked hard for things I want to achieve. I always see the good in life and good in people which is the main message that I wanted to send with Positivity. I’d say I’m quirky and not your average Joe. I get called different a lot but it’s good to be different and be your own unique self. Lastly, I personally think I’m quite funny but whether others would say the same is a different question haha. I make pointless puns and dad jokes but I humour myself which I guess is what counts.

Then your music in 3 words?​
Uplifting, Autobiographical, and Melodic. 
First and foremost my music is autobiographical and I like to use my own experiences to enlighten others who are struggling with the same things I did. Having the feedback from my debut EP, It’s My Time being so heartwarming makes it all worth it and lets me know I am doing something right. I like to say my music is uplifting as when I write about personal experiences I don’t want to dwell on the negatives as I feel that isn’t what I’m set out to do as an artist and a songwriter. As I said I feel I’m optimistic and see the positive side of life which is what I want my music to portray. Finally, I find my music to be melodic. As a writer, I feel my strengths lie more with melodies more so than lyrics and I am a sucker for good hooks. I feel melodies can tell the story just as much as lyrics can which I find is important to get across.

2020, has seen the release of your debut single, Define Me - what has the reaction been to the single?
The reaction from Define Me was unbelievable. The amount of love and support I received was incredible. When I woke up on the release date, I found out I made it into the top 30 Singer/ Songwriter charts which wasn’t even on the cards in my brain was a massive shock and has made me grateful for everything I have and all of you guys for supporting it. I have been getting messages from listeners saying that this song has helped them through a hard time, that they can relate and has helped them see the positives in their current situation. I feel getting that kind of attention is something you can’t quite prepare yourself for as a songwriter as that is my main priority.

Could you please tell us a little about the song because I absoultely love the song.

Define Me is about my own personal experiences with bullying and how I’ve learned to deal with that situation. As I know first hand how difficult it is to deal with bullying I wanted to show others that it is possible to get through it and you’re stronger than you think you are. Writing this song was an emotional experience as when I sat down with Danny McMahon and spoke in depth about my situation which helped me on a personal level and for the song to be as relatable as possible. Words people say about you don't ‘Define’ who you are and that is the main message I wanted to send.

Please tell me there are more songs to come from you this year?

There is new music on the way and I am so excited to share it with you all. As my last EP was very emotional and personal, I wanted to create something that was fun and people can put it on just to have a good time. Sam Hunt was a big influence for this EP and each song has such a strong feel and groove. This one is so different to It’s My Time and hope you all love it as much as I do. Keep your eyes on my social media in the next coming weeks and there may be some updates!
​​
And final question, what do you hope 2020 will bring for you as an artist?​
My main goal is to beat Define Me with it’s charting status and keep my fingers crossed that you guys can get behind it. All in all I was really looking forward to the gigs and festivals I had coming up this year and am really missing performing within this current pandemic. Overall, I want to keep writing as much as possible, gig as much as possible and get back to recording new music for all of you guys.
Thank you so much for your time, Kelsey.

You can follow Kelsey on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY