INTERVIEW WITH CAROLINE JONES AS SHE CHATS ABOUT HER LATEST EP, ALL THE BOYS

I am very excited to be able to bring you my interview with US Country Music artist, Caroline Jones as I spoke to her about her latest EP, All The Boys and her 2020 plans.

Photo Credit: Tyler Lord

Good Afternoon, Caroline. I can't quite believe I am finally interviewing you as a fan of yours, I had the privilege of seeing you last year at C2C.
How are you doing during this time of quarantining?
I’m doing very well thanks. The silver lining of this challenging situation is that I have an abundance of time and space to be creative.
I am very glad to hear that you are well, Caroline.

Congrats on the EP release of All The Boys. I have to ask where did the title come from?
The title came from the hook “I make friends with all of the boys, but I make love to you”. I was inspired by the play on words using “make” - “make friends” vs. “make love”, phrases which share the same first word but are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as meaning.

All The Boys is a beautifully written song, and I have to ask was there a certain situation which inspired the writing of the song?
I was initially inspired by my sister, who is very outgoing and fun. She has that quality of being seen as “one of the guys”, which is an attribute that I admire in her and don’t necessarily associate with myself. So I was observing her, and the original hook was in third person: “she makes friends with all of the boys”. Later, when I brought the song to Zac Brown, he suggested I change the lyric to be in first person.
Love it how it was your sister that inspired All The Boys.

When was the moment you decided you were going to release All The Boys as a single and the name of your EP?​​
It’s a fun, sassy, high energy song, so it was a natural choice for a single. It’s been a staple in our live show on tour for a few years. We get a great reaction to it live, especially when we brought it out on the Kenny Chesney tour last year.

My next question is one that I am very intrigued to know personally, how long did it take you to write
All The Boys?
I had most of the song done in a few hours, but then tweaked it and refined it over a series of months. We worked it up with the band for the live show, then I brought it to Zac Brown and he tweaked it, so what is now the final song took shape over the course of 2018. But the original verses, B section and chorus were written the first day. I originally had a different bridge and a third verse that did not make the final cut.
I love listening to all these changes songs go through which no one else knows, so thank you for telling us about it.

Now, I have to ask you about the writing and recording process for All The Boys and how long did it take you?
A long time! Probably a year of sporadic sessions in between tours with Jimmy Buffett/The Eagles, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, and Zac Brown Band. All those tours informed the final production’s energy. I love the raw energy of a live band. But we wanted to  mix those rock elements with some synth pop elements, a la “Breathless” by The Corrs. So achieving that blend took a lot of experimentation and time. We had a much more synth-pop version of the song, very “Cars”-esque, at one point. It also took a long time to get the power chord guitar tones and syncopation patterns just right - not too distorted, not too dirty, but still rocking.

All 4 different versions of All The Boys are very different, why did you decide to do different versions?
I love so many styles of music - pop, rock, country, dance, singer/songwriter - and that diversity is reflected in my own music. It was really fun to imagine All of the Boys in 4 different styles. I think the Coffee House version was the most pleasantly surprising - it’s totally different than the original and really paints the song with a new emotional palette.
It's an extremely brave move from you both but one that works wonderfully in my opinion.

I love asking this question in our interviews but how would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Creative, high-energy, and optimistic.
Ooo, I am intrigued by these.

How would you sum up All The Boys in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check it out?
Sexy, sunshine-y and rocking.
Oh, I am loving these 3 words.
What do you hope 2020 will bring for you as an artist after quarantine? Have you been writing a lot?
Yes, I’ve been writing a lot and also practicing a lot. I’ve taken this time to practice and learn new skills as a musician and producer. I’ve been watching tons of guitar videos and production videos. It’s a very creative time for me. I look forward to releasing new music throughout the summer and my second album before 2020 ends.
I love how creative everyone has become during this quaranting period.
Thank you so much for your time, Caroline.

You can follow Caroline on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY