ALBUM REVIEW - ASHLEY McBRYDE - NEVER WILL

This Friday (3rd April) will see US singer-songwriter, Ashley McBryde release her brand new album, Never Will.
Never Will features 11 songs.

Photo Credit: Daniel Meigs

Hang In There Girl is one song that starts with the rockier instrumental which I absolutely adore, and the instrumental solo gives the song so much life, however the moment when Ashley comes in with her wonderful edgy vocals, the first verse is on that gets the listeners instantly thinking about the lyrics and I most definitely felt that every word she was singing what something that she herself has been through or suffered. The chorus is the part of the song that I caught myself relating to the most and the message within the song is something that I have nothing but praise for Ashley doing.
The second verse continues this song in a wonderful way and that a support network means so much when you are suffering or even if you are just supporting someone going through something similar. The bridge features some of the most positive words that you need to hear when you are or someone you know is suffering. I loved that fact that Hang In There Girl ended with an instrumental giving the song the chance end in the most natural way. The lyrics are some that have had me feeling rather emotional but for the most relatable reasons.

One Night Standards starts with a darker guitar instrumental which I have to admit gives the song a little bit of life before Ashley's vocals have even come in. The first verse gives you a real sense of a dark meaning to the song thanks to the lyrics chosen for the song. The chorus on this song is part of the song which had me feeling rather emotional thanks to the lyrics chosen for the song. The lyrics within One Night Standards give the listeners that real sense of a care-free life and attitude. The second verse continues the song with lyrics that a lot of listeners will be able to listen and relate too, however, I love this and the message that Ashley is singing about is something I like a lot. The naivety is something a lot of people go throughout. The bridge allows Ashley's vocal to shine through complimented by the guitar instrumental is something I adore. The softer vocal to end was just perfect and something I love about Ashley as an artist.

Shut Up Shelia starts with a darker instrumental which I have to admit I love as Ashley is one of those singers that with whatever she does, I just love. The first verse allows Ashley to show off darker vocal tone which gives us listeners a chance to hear this different side of Ashley's vocal range. The fact that I caught myself listening to the story behind the lyrics right from the very start by the time it got to the chorus, I was hooked. The chorus allows Ashley's wonderful songwriting ability to shine through. I loved the tone of Ashley's vulnerable within the song gives the song a little change which listeners will no doubt love hearing. The lyrics are so beautiful, Ashley! The second verse continues the song wonderfully with the lyrics and the storytelling. I love how Ashley has kept her darker vocal range throughout - makes me love Ashley even more as a singer. The bridge of the Shut Up Shelia I have to admit is my favourite part of the song as we got to hear Ashley's crisp vocal tone followed by an electric guitar solo breaking the song up wonderfully. Shut Up Shelia ends with chorus which I have to admit is the most wonderful thing for the song.

First Thing I Reach For starts with a darker sounding guitar instrumental which I have to admit turns quirkier seconds later. The first verse showcases Ashley's softer meaningful vocal range which allows the lyrics to shine through wonderfully. Ashley's song-writing is wonderfully shown throughout but especially within the chorus for me as the lyrics seem so heartfelt and honest at times. The second verse follows the chorus beautifully and the fact that this song allows you to paint your own picture for what the lyrics mean is just something else. The instrumental break down near the end of First Thing I Reach For is wonderfully and breaks the song down fantastically allowing us listeners to get a real honest feel for the song. Ashley's vocal range is demonstrated fabulously throughout. The final verse and chorus of the song connects First Thing I Reach For so beautifully together and gave me goosebumps. Ashley's definitely wears her heart on her sleeve during this song.

Voodoo Doll starts with a drumming instrumental which gives the wonderfully balanced break up to the album which I adored from the start and reminded me of the reason why I feel in love with Ashley's music to start with. The first verse is one that shows off Ashley's vulnerable vocal range giving her the strength to write from the heart for this song and I have to admit its one that pulled on my heart strings within the first verse. The chorus is the most upbeat part of the song which gives Ashley the chance to show off her wonderfully rockier vocal range! The lyrics are catchy on this part of Voodoo Doll that I felt that I wanted to sing along. The second verse continues with Ashley's darker vocal range which I continue to love and the lyrics are really catchy whilst being ones that I want to sing along too. The more I hear the chorus the more, I adore this album of Ashley's. The instrumental break down in the middle of the song is just so beautifully giving the song so many more dynamic. The moment that the final chorus came in the more, I didn't want the song to end. Ashley, your songwriting and vulnerability on this song is just perfect!

Sparrow starts with a beautiful soulful piano instrumental giving off a real sense for the song which I loved. The first verse showcases Ashley's raw and honest vocal range within her vulnerability which I have to admit after me goosebumps. The lyrics without Sparrow are so honest and you can definitely tell that Ashley has written the lyrics right from the heart when in a meaningful state. The chorus features some wonderfully honest and heartfelt lyrics which I have to say got me thinking as Ashley sang in a much softer vocal which complimented the song fabulously - but my god when Ashley holds a note she is just incredible. The second verse continues Sparrow wonderfully and the instrumental between the start of the verse is just wonderfully as I didn't expect it but it worked wonderfully. I love that Ashley is singing the song from a Sparrow's perspective giving the song a very different feel that I absoultely love. The instrumental break down in the middle of the song is just beautiful breaking it up fantastically before the final chorus bringing the song to its natural end.

Martha Devine is a darker sounding song right from the start thanks to its drumming instrumental setting the tone of the song in a wonderful way. The first verse shows off Ashley's darker vocals and songwriting giving so much meaning to the lyrics being sung. The chorus features some super catchy and upbeat lyrics allowing the listeners to get a real feel of who Ashley is as an artist and she has never hid who she is as an artist that I absolutely adore. Ashley's vocal range is demonstrated throughout this song in the most wonderful way and changed to make the song even more special. The second verse of the song continues the song in a darker way allowing the listeners to get a real feel for the song and the message of it however, having watched the video for this song I understand the song a little better. The instrumental break down in the middle of Martha Devine is something that breaks the song up in the most beautiful way before the bridge of the song allowing Ashley's softer vocal range to shine throughout. Martha Devine ends with the chorus being sung once again which in my opinion is the best way to end the song with. The lyrics of Martha Devine are ones that I adore and can't wait for the day I get to hear Ashley sing this song live.

Velvet Red starts with Ashley's softer vocal ahead of its softer instrumental supporting right from the start of the song. The first verse listeners will hear Ashley's softer vocal range being supported with a different kind of feel which for me is something that I wasn't sure off as the song started, however, the more the song want on 30 seconds in, in fact! I got a real feel for the song and its direction. The lyrics are ones of pure honesty that I love from Ashley in general. The chorus of Velvet Red features some wonderfully catchy lyrics that I caught myself singing along with as they were so catchy and ones that a lot of people will like. The second verse continues Velvet Red wonderfully I think with its super catchy lyrics which is allowing the listeners to get a real feel for who Ashley is, as a singer/ songwriter and something I have loved watching Ashley do. As Velvet Red come to the end with it's final verse it was one that got me thinking the most because the fact that the song came to a natural end with the chorus, I got myself painting my own paint in my head with the lyrics of the song - pure magic for me!

Stone starts with a magical guitar sounding instrumental which gives another sound that I wasn't expecting to hear on this album but one I definitely love. The first verse showcases Ashley's softer vocals whilst remaining her crispy tone that everyone knows and loves. The songs lyrics are ones of pure honesty and written from a dark that you can hear within Ashley's vocals of vulnerability and songs like this I have to admit get me thinking and relating too in a weird kind of way. The chorus is my favourite part of Stone if I am honest and the one part of the song that had me singing along despite not knowing the lyrics (typical Kellie!) The second verse continues Stone fantastically and the softer vocal which stays throughout is something that is giving me so much more than I ever expected to get from Ashley but one I am so grateful for! The final verse of Stone is beautifully and gives the song it's natural ending which for me is something I love and find so comforting. However, the moment the final chorus comes in the more I caught myself wanting to cry as the song ended as I caught myself relating to one of its lines the more I heard it.

Never Will starts with a much rockier edgy instrumental which for me is one thing I love about Ashley and her music. The first verse sees Ashley's wonderful songwriting shining through ahead of her softer and wonderfully upbeat vocal shone through and stayed throughout. The lyrics are ones of pure brilliance and catchiness. I loved the instrumental break down. The chorus is my favourite part of the song that made me want to get up and dance despite having never heard the song before. I do adore the songwriting from Ashley throughout the song and it's one of hope and brilliance especially with where we are in the world right now its one I need to hear. The second verse continues Never Will fantastically as it gets me thinking about my life as I am listening to the song whilst hearing the wonderful genre of music from Ashley. The instrumental break up in the middle of the song is something that broke the song up wonderfully and when the final verse come in, listeners will get to hear the only vulnerable part of the song which I have to admit give me goosebumps if I am honest! There is something so special and unique about the ending of the song as the dynamic changes working perfectly for Ashley's style of music. My favourite song of this album.

Styrofoam starts with a very different kind of feel instrumental which I like a lot to end the album with in the good old Ashley kind of style. The first verse starts in a style is what I call a very classic Ashley but one that gripped me as a fan of Ashley as the verse continued the more I caught myself more intrigued with the lyrics. The chorus was the part of the song I missed the first time around as it fitted so beautifully in, I thought it was still the first verse when it first came on. The second verse continues Styrofoam wonderfully giving you, the listener, a real feel for the meaning of the song despite not 100% knowing everything that was coming up next which I happened to like within this song. I also loved how the style of the first verse continued within the second verse in the most fantastic way giving me proper feels at times ahead of the chorus coming in. The final verse ends the song in the same style in which it started and the chorus blended in wonderfully and I love how the song came to very natural end. Styrofoam was definitely one that I never expected but I grew to love a lot.

You can follow Ashley on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY