INTERVIEW WITH VICKI MANSER AS SHE RELEASES HER DEBUT SINGLE, PICK ME UP

Today (Friday 12th June) will see British singer-songwriter and Musical Theatre Star, Vicki Manser release her debut single, Pick Me Up.
This interview for me in one I absolutely loved doing being a massive Vicki fan thanks to her insanely talented acting in many theatre shows, I have seen.

You can read my review of Pick Me Up here.

Photography: Laura Boon Photography
Artwork: Jake Morrell

Morning, Vicki. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me about your debut single, Pick Me Up.

How are you feeling ahead of your debut single's release?
I am so excited I can't tell you! I just cant wait for it to be out there and for everyone to hear it!

Firstly before we can any further, can I please ask you to introduce yourselves to our readers?​
Helloooo! My name is Vicki Manser and I am a musical theatre actress and also a singer/songwriter. I've been in shows in the West End such as Sunny Afternoon the Kinks Musical, Beautiful the Carole King Musical, Bat Out Of Hell and Six and was just on tour with Beautiful as Alternate Carole King before we all went into lockdown!
As a massive theatre fan, I can't believe I am interviewing you about your latest single within my other passion which is Country Music.

How old were you were you decided to start writing your own songs? And when did you write and perform your first song?​

I played guitar from a young age and one Christmas my Nana got me a songwriting book which I read but never actually did anything with. I always wanted to song write but I never had the confidence because I didn’t think my lyrics were clever enough. I didn’t actually write my first song until I was In Bat Out Of Hell the musical when I was 24! And its taken me until just a couple of months ago to have the courage to put some original songs on YouTube! The first time I performed my own stuff publicly was actually during lockdown for an online concert!

What is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist (can be more than one)?

Ooooooh, that’s a hard a question because there are so many! Country and Bluegrass music had a massive part to play when I was growing up because my family love it, my dad plays guitar, my papa plays the banjo and my uncle plays the mandolin and he was in couple of bands through the years so we always had it playing - live or on CDs! I used to listen to ALOT of Alison Krauss & The Union Station (I think she has the most purest voice ever) and the Dixie Chicks - well I still do listen to them loads! I used to play Boy Who Wouldn’t Hoe Corn on repeat in my bedroom and play Travelin Soldier on my guitar at every opportunity. But my favourite song ever is probably Little Sparrow by Dolly Parton - what a legend!

But, I'd like to think this question is even harder but I'm going to ask anyway what is the most inspirational song you have heard?

Yep that is a toughie! Again there are loads I could talk about but one that springs to mind is Music To My Eyes from A Star Is Born I mean how amazing is that lyric, I just think it sums up what love is like so perfectly, I wish id thought of that lyric so bad!

Now let's talk about your debut single, Pick Me Up...

Your debut single, Pick Me Up is released today, can you please tell us a little about the song?
Aw yeah, its a beautiful little country ballad. I think its so pretty. It's about someone who’s having a bit of a rough time seeing only the negatives and almost in self destruct mode asking that one person, your person, to help piece everything back together to pick me up.

My next question is one that I am very intrigued to know personally, how look did it take you to write Pick Me Up?
I actually didn’t write this one … Tim Prottey-Jones, Dan Weller and & Demi Marriner are responsible for this beauty. I feel very lucky that they have trusted me with it!

After learning this, I spoke to Tim Prottey-Jones and asked him the following questions.
How long did it take for you write the single, and was it written about anything in particular?The track was written in a day. I wrote it with award winning producer, Dan Weller & UK singer/songwriter Demi Marriner. When we got together that day, we found some common ground in that we all had that person in our life that stands by us no matter what. You’re aware that you’re almost self-destructing and seeing the negative in things and you’re asking for that one person - your person - to just help you piece it all back together. That someone who’s got your back without judgement.

Did you always plan to release this song as a single the moment you wrote it?
So, Tim approached me on Twitter during lockdown after I had put up a few clips of my songs and me singing and we started getting talking about Country music. He said he had a song he thought I would sound great singing and sent me the demo and said here you go have a play about with that! So I did, and couple of weeks later I sent him back a little video of me singing and playing the song. Thankfully he loved it haha and asked what if I wanted to release it! Next thing, I knew we were picking out art work and all sorts! I literally couldn’t believe it!
This story makes me smile.

Now, I have to ask you, Vicki how was the recording for Pick Me Up?
You should see the little make shift set up I have haha!!! I have a unit in my bedroom, I took out one of the draws, stuffed it with pillows and stuck my mic in there! Haha! Tim sent me the guitar track to start with and then I did my vocals sent it back to him and he’s been layering it up ever since. He’s produced the whole thing as well co-writing it. Honestly, the mans a genius and I am SO grateful to him fro making my little country dreams come true! He’s the lockdown Angel (or wizard as I like to call him).
I agree with you, Vicki - Tim is a wonderful man and one with many talents.

How would you sum up your single, Pick Me Up in just 3 words for anyone wanting to check it out?
Beautifully Simple, and Heartfelt.

I love asking this question in our interviews but how would you describe yourself in 3 words?
WORK A HOLIC Does that count?
Yes, Vicki it does, and I love that shows your dedication.

What do you hope 2020 will bring for you as an artist?​
I would absolutely LOVE to release some more songs hopefully a couple of my own too, there’s 2 specifically I would love to get down! And I pray that by the end of the year, we will be able to all get together and listen to live music again! I said at the beginning of the year, I would love to release an EP and NOW, I’m releasing my debut single!!! The universe definitely was listening!
This question really has made me smile, you are insanely talented, and you deserve this opportunity so much.
Thank you so much for your time, Vicki. I am very excited for you to see what the reaction is to the single.

You can follow Vicki on her Social Media
Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY