INTERVIEW WITH SARAH WATSON AS WE GET TO KNOW HER AND HER TALK TO HER ABOUT HER DEBUT SINGLE, ELECTRIC BLUE

This week's interview is from UK artist, Sarah Watson who I had the pleasure of seeing back in January as part of a Loud In London Event at The O2 Academy, Islington alongside fellow UK singer- songwriters, Jeannine Barry and Bailey Tomkinson.

Photo Taken By Me

Morning, Sarah. Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me.
Firstly, I would like you to introduce yourselves to our readers?​
Hey guys! I’m Sarah. A country singer- songwriter from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. (Northern and proud) I’m prone to waffling on so I think I’ll leave that one there and hopefully you’ll learn a little ore about me from the rest of this chat!

How old were you were you decided to start writing your own songs? And when did you write and perform your first song?​
Oh ermm, I think there have been three phases of ‘writing’ for me. I’ve been making up songs and performing them since I could talk. But, I think my first, full performance of an original song would have been at my local open mic when I was 15. Although, I struggled so much with confidence in my own music that I think I really only began to see myself as a writer around 3 years ago. It’s been a long ol’ journey.
I love that you aren't afraid to share your struggle with your confidence, you are one amazing singer/ songwriter.

What is your favourite country song and who is your favourite country artist (can be more than one)?
Jeezzz, I can’t answer that! Haha! The song that made me realise that my future was in country music was God Bless The Broken Road by Rascal Flatts. I’d never heard of them before and an acoustic video of it popped up online. I can still remember sitting in my computer chair with my feet up on the wall just playing it over and over again. I found his voice, the melody and their harmonies absolutely mystifying and that one song is probably a huge part of how I ended up here today. So it probably has to be the boys. I’m a ‘flatthead’ til I die. (if you know, you know)
Good old, Rascal Flatts.

But, I'd like to think this question is even harder but I'm going to ask anyway what is the most inspirational song you have heard?
Oh, think I answered that one prematurely haha. Thankfully there are SO many country songs that inspired me. Girl Going Nowhere by Ashley McBryde gets to me every time. I think everyone who knew they wanted to be an artist growing up was met with constant ridicule and doubt. That song is written so purely and the lyrics always knock me back into reality when I am doubting myself. I still can’t watch the video of her tearing up singing it at the Opry without losing it.
That song is one that reminds me of my high school years and being reject giving you even more self doubt

I love asking this question in our interviews but how would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Curious, Restless, and Caring.
You can most definitely been caring towards me, and I appreciate that.

Then your music in 3 words?​
Honest, Hard edged, and Sporadic.
Perfect!

Back in January, you performed as part of Loud In London, how did you find this evening? This was the evening, I discovered you!
That was the first night I’d ever played a full set with my band! I adored it. I was so proud to be up there with such amazing musicians (Conor Magi, Dan Heery, Sam Williams) They made me realise how good the songs actually were. Because I never trust my initial writing. It’s a flaw of mine. And then I hear what someone else can do with what I’ve written and those are always magic moments for me. Everyone was truly there to listen that night. I could feel the love for country music in the room and it was something truly special. I’ll never forget that show.
I can't wait for the next time, I get to see you perform.

Then in February, we saw the release of your debut single,
Electric Blue - how has the reaction to the song been?
I have loved seeing the reaction to Electric Blue. That song came from a place of empowerment. I had been dependant on people for years and after finally finding trust in myself after ending my relationship at the time, that song just flew out of me. I wanted people, especially young women, to feel powerful when they put it on and I think that they do!
I remember hearing Electric Blue and being blown away by the emotions within the song.

Please tell me that this is just the start of you releasing music to us Country fans?
Oh. It hasn’t even begun. I was proud of my debut single. But I am so much more excited for what is to come. I feel like I’ve found where I sit as an artist since releasing that song and the next single is going to be pretty epic!
​​​
And final question, what do you hope 2020 will bring for you as an artist?​
I mean, that’s tough to answer right now with everything that’s going on. As soon as we’re allowed to play again I just want to support as many artists as possible, play as many festivals as possible and most of all get into the studio! I’ve never felt more at peace with what I want to release and how I want it to be produced. It’s new for me to have that confidence in my sound. And I hope that comes through!
Thank you so much for your time, Sarah.
Thank you for talking to me! Stay safe and sane everyone.

You can follow Sarah on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY