INTERVIEW WITH LOUISE PARKER ABOUT HER MUSIC AND MORE

To celebrate my birthday over the past 4 years, I have shared an interview on my birthday and with me turning 30, Louise Parker kindly gave up her time to talk her music with us as well as turning 30 in general.

Hello Louise, how are you today?
Hello Kellie, I’m good, thank you. Enjoying the last of the British summer! How’re you?
Glad you are good, I am great thank you!

I have to start by saying how has it been 8 months since we last spoke about your music with Table For One, how was that release for you? It's one song I have on a lot of the time.
Thank you, I’m so glad it resonated with people the way I hoped it would. ‘Table for One’ was the last track of ‘The Imperfect Recovery’ digital EP to release. Although it was bitter sweet to be closing that chapter it was also a relief, I am not the same person who wrote those songs. Even though it felt important to tell that story it’s also nice to look back and reflect on how far I’ve come.

Photo Credit: Meglensphoto (instagram)

Table For One featured many vulnerable lyrics, were you nervous about releasing this song?
No, I don’t think I’ll ever feel as vulnerable as I did releasing ‘I’ve Forgotten How To Smile’, the first single off the EP. ‘Table for One’ was more reflective on myself and how I’d handled the situation, accepting my part of the blame for how I was feeling when I knew I deserved better. It felt really good to write it all down and releasing it was empowering.

I have always wondered when you write songs, do write the chorus first or a verse first? Or is it different very time? This question always interests me.
Every song is different, like people, I’ve always thought my songs had there own personalities and quips. More often than not at the moment, the lyrics comes to me with a melody, I then build on that. I love working this way because it stretches my imagination and really puts my guitar skills to the test, trying to find the chords. It also makes production a lot more fun, compared to going into record a song with a four chord structure, the song no longer has to rely on guitar, it can be anything!

Please tell me that you have been writing new music?
I took a little break after temporary damage to my vocal chords forced me into vocal rest, although I continued to have these lyric ideas pop into my head. Since starting therapy, I’ve got back into songwriting and have written my best work to date, a personal favourite at the moment ‘This Ol’Heart’ I’m hoping will make it into my live set. I’ve also set up co-writes with all my favourite artists, some of which I’ve never worked with before, I’m excited to see what we create together.

Have you set any goals you want to achieve before 2023 is up?
I have a couple of gigs I’m hoping I’ll be strong enough to play, that will be a real test for my voice. I’ve started plotting with the band, booking rehearsal space to play through some new tracks.

You turned 30 earlier in the year, what did you do to celebrate?
My family and I got together for the weekend, ate good food and went to the beach. It was nice to get away and do something a little different. I’ve also been on several excursions and dinners with friends and I’m due to go to Paris too! This is the birthday that is never-ending!

People put so much pressure on themselves as they hit that milestone, do you feel any different?
I actually really looked forward to turning 30, age is just a number. I learnt a lot about myself in my 20’s, I look forward to putting that all into practise in my 30’s. I am more confident, more self-assured, passionate and certain of what I want, what a time to be alive!
I am so glad you said about being more confident, 29 definitely saw me face many fears - here's to 30 and more conquers being faced.

What one piece of advice would you have for someone who is struggling to get their break whether it's musically or change in career?
Fame, or getting your break, means something different to everyone, it all depends on what you value in life. I’ve come to realise that I want to make music my way, with my friends and have fun, if I can’t do that because of a contract or amount of money over my head, I would’t be happy. I have an amazing fan base who have carried me over the years and I know will continue to do so for as long as I’m making music (which will be forever).

Finally, I have to ask who has been your standout artist of 2023, and what's been your standout song so far?
Sarah-Louise has been working incredibly hard, I aspire to her drive and it’s a thrill watching her succeed. I hope I get to work with her one day. ‘Why Can’t I?’ By Liz Phair has been on my monthly playlist this year, for almost every month! It’s top of my ‘I Wish I Wrote This’ Spotify playlist.

Thank you so much for your time today, it's always a pleasure to chat with you!
Thank you for inviting me, and Happy Birthday!

You can follow Louise on her Social Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY