WHY THIS WEEK'S 4 EPISODES OF HOLLYOAKS FAVOURITES HAVE BEEN AMAZING VIEWING

This week on E4 at 7pm Hollyoaks Favourites showed Hannah Ashworth's anorexia storyline from September 2007 (if I remember rightly?)

This storyline for me is one that I remember watching as a early teenager, and being so overwhelmed but watching it back this week left me feeling even more emotional - this is one week of episodes I am glad was chosen to be reshown as it displayed to everyone watching why Emma Rigby is an incredible actress, you can definitely see why this storyline won Emma the Best Actress Award in 2008 at The British Soap Awards.

One thing that still gets me about this storyline was Rhys cold-hearted, and insensitive support to his little sister through her struggle - I get that he cares for her but this was one step too far for me.
However, looking back it is obvious to see how influenced Hannah was from her friend, Melissa that she met in hospital which is just devastating to see.
I also wished Hannah had realised her problems before she was forced into getting help.

In Tuesday's episode, viewers saw the heart-breaking outcome of Hannah's situation with her friend suffering a heart attack because of her eating problem. However, by the final episode of the week tonight had me in absolute tears as I forgot how powerful the episode was as Hannah was forced to accept help from her extremely concerned family.

In Wednesday's episode, viewers saw Hannah's mum, Suzanne call her daughters best friends Sarah Barnes, and Nancy Hayton for their support in trying to save their friend from her downward spiral which she doesn't want to be helped with.
When Hannah saw Melissa's ghost appear talking to her in the mirror were very triggering making heart wrenching viewing for many no doubt.
One thing, I did like about this episode was seeing Sarah, Nancy, and Hannah together once again especially during that heart-to-heart which led to Sarah plea with Hannah that was everything!

In Thursday's episode was a little more of an emotional episode as this episode saw Hannah collapse as her friends Sarah Barnes, and John Paul McQueen argue in front of her - I was just shouting at my screen for her friends to stop, and notice. But in the first scene of the episode viewers saw Hannah try a new look which fooled no one especially her mother.

Seeing Hannah confess to her mum about her still not eating had me a little emotional as, as much as us viewers knew it is was nice to see someone confessing. But later, Suzanne and Sarah went on the hunt for the evidence of Hannah hiding her food all I was shouting was check the floor boards in her bedroom how I remember this detail is beyond me! The directing on this episode was just wonderful, thank you Waris.

I loved seeing Steph Dean, Max Cunningham, and OB back on screen in this episode forgot how much I enjoyed seeing these characters on my screen. Another thing, I loved was the ending of last night's episode as it saw the return of Hollyoaks Best Women we loved to hate, Clare Devine.

In tonight's episode (24th July), viewers saw an extremely emotional one as the storyline came to an end with Hannah being admitted into hospital, following her family trying all they can't to get her the help she needed. I personally forgot how emotional this episode was until it started.

All you can see is Hannah's family feeling so useless, and hurt as Hannah continued to not being willing to accept help - but it was great to see Suzanne Hall, Jim Millea, Andy Moss, Sonny Flood, and of course Emma Rigby which were so beautifully delivered by all involved - incredibly fantastic in fact!

I liked the scene in the middle of the village where Josh was upset about his sister, Hannah's issues as he started crying as Amy walked by (not staged at all aha) viewers saw this vulnerability to the character that I remember being shocked by as he always seemed quite quiet. I realised as I was watching this scene too, how much I miss Amy Barnes.

The most beautiful scene of the episode was Hannah and Rhys bedroom door scene where they were both seen having a heart-to-heart which was one hell of an incredible scene one of my all times favourite even after all these years. Witnessing a distraught Hannah as she was reliving her childhood as she finally let her walls down in incredibly emotional scenes as we got to see how much Rhys really cares for his sister wanting the very best for her.
Later in the episode with Hannah finally opening the door to her brother, you could see this real belief she had in him that was beautiful to watch. However, the moment when Rhys was walking with Hannah down the stairs having managed to get her out of her bedroom were emotional as viewers saw Hannah being admitted to hospital for her issues with food - I was crying as much as I was when I first watched this episode back in 2007. The attention detail throughout the directing of this episode is everything - so beautifully delivered and the spilt screens were perfect!

However, a few things I loved about this episode was Sarah, and Amy Barnes sibling relationship as it was one of the most beautiful sibling bonds I remember watching on TV growing up.
I also loved seeing a younger Warren Fox back with his younger sister, Katy and girlfriend Louise Summers.

I am so glad Hollyoaks chose to revisit this storyline has it has shown everyone watching how amazing this storyline was, and how beautiful explored with such care, whilst being written with an amazing grace, and thoughtfulness. Hollyoaks did this story right 100%.

Seeing everyone's amazing reaction to these 4 episodes this week has been amazing - allowing all the new viewers over the past 13 years of Hollyoaks to see how amazing the show has always been.

Another thing, I have loved about this week is getting to have The Ashworth family on-screen as I forgot how much I love Josh, Rhys, Suzanne, and of course Hannah on my screen - I just love the dynamic of this family, and I also will one of my favourite Hollyoaks families.
I also loved seeing Sarah Barnes back on screen as I loved hers and Hannah's friendship - Loui Batley and Emma Rigby friendship on screen was just beautiful.

I hope this week's episodes have shown everyone what an incredible actress, Emma Rigby is and always has been.

I always have to give a massive thank you to the writers, and directors of these episodes;

Tuesday's - Writer - Angela Corner, Director - Stewart Svaasand.
Wednesday's - Writer - Stewart Svaasand, Director - Paul Coates.
Thursday's - Writer - Matthew Westwood, Director - Waris Islam.
Friday's - Writer - Barry Woodward, Director - Penelope Shales.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGLE REVIEW - ELERI - KARAOKE

COMING UP ON EMMERDALE: AMELIA CHRISTENS ESTHER AS CHARITY AND AMY BRING THE DRAMA

EMMERDALE REVIEW - DAN SHOWED HIS VULNERABILITY